GC - July 7 - Canada vs El Salvador(R)

loyola

FWIW guys I just posted this blog to the home-page from the Stadium. CMON YOU REDS!!!

Both the Costa Rican and Jamaican teams are out on the field for a pitch inspection at Crew Stadium in Columbus with under two hours to go until kick-off for the night’s first match.

Current temperature at the stadium is 28 degrees Celsius and the sun is beaming down at full force on the uncovered pitch. Conditions for the first match will be sweltering.

El Salvador supporters are already making up the biggest contingent of fans in the parking lot, and keep in mind that their team doesn’t hit the pitch for another four hours. El Salvadoran support will dominate the stadium. Looks like another away match atmosphere for Canada.

Stephen Hart has hinted that there will be little change to his starting XI following a good performance form Jamaica.

Marcel de Jong was subbed off at the half versus Jamaica in favour of the more attack-minded Josh Simpson. Expect Marcel to return to the starting line-up tonight as Canada will almost certainly be wary of a potenet El Salvador attack.

Striker Simeon Jackson also appeared in the 70th minute against Jamaica in favour of winger Will Johnson, but expect the young Gillingham man to return to the bench for the start of tonight’s match.

Greg Sutton is also believed to be Hart’s preferred choice in goal this evening.

El Salvador are in rich form at the moment under the direction of Mexican manager Carlos de los Cobos. They are making their first appearance in the final round of CONCACAF world cup qualifying for the first time since 1998. The team is also undefeated in its last five matches – a run that includes impressive victories over Ecuador, Mexico and Honduras.

The Latin Americans were pushed forward by close to 20,000 Salvadorian supporters in L.A. and notched a crucial 2-1 over Costa Rica on match-day 1 of the tournament.

Canada’s physical play will pose problems for the Salvadorans, but expect the Canadians to be on the defensive early. El Salvador put forth a cohesive and refined performance in their first match of the tournament and the team will certainly believe in their ability to sweep aside Canada.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone needs to convince Diesel to get that 2000 hair back [:P]

If we can stay calm and not allow little give-go through-ball plays in our final third, we should be ok. I hope we make use of our size advantage and beat up on them. Here's hoping that Ali and Bernier can have strong first halves (unlike against the Jammas).

quote:Originally posted by Ed

^ Nik is in Frankfurt as their training camp is underway. He usually comes back at end of May but I haven't heard from him lately. I will try to find out.

Cheers, Ed.

Here's a younger player who, from a positional point of view, might have been in contention for a place here (d-mid type/RB), but Hart has thought otherwise. Just curious, however.

I watched that 2000 QF last night.

Thanks for the update MB. You guys are doing fantastic work.

Right winger Rudis Corrales is out for ES with a leg injury. He and Castillo on the left really help spring their counter with Romero, Coreas and Reyes working in the middle. That should help. It sounds like William Torres Alegría will take Corrales' spot or Coreas will move wide and Dennis Alas may move in the middle.

Pacheco and Castillo on the left worry me a little. Hopefully Johnson's and Bernier's work rate will help a lot on that side.

cheers,

matthew

We should win, El Salvador had some nice victories against some good opponents lately but there are not that good. A lot worst than Honduras but more opportunism. If they are in the Hex, it's only because they were lucky in an easy group

Nerves setting in, but I feel like we're in for a grand match. I think more than a few people are mussing about the potential of a draw and I'm leaning that way myself but I also think a late winner may be in the works. Hope it comes for Canada and I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Especially if we continue to keep the pitch wide and see a stronger contribution from "the spine" than we did against Jamaica.

Hutch and The Guz can score from range Open it up! Make that field big!

Allez les Rouges

Archived