GC - July 7 - Canada vs El Salvador(R)

loyola

That game was awesome. The best part about it is that we did it with the young guys like Johnson, Simpson and Jakovic. De Guzman dominated in the midfield. I really hope Hart gets a shot at 2014 qualifying, hes proving that the 07 gold cup was no fluke..... especially with Dero, Hirschfeld, Friend, etc not here.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nolando, I'm a bit surprise with your assessment of Bernier tonight. I thought he was very good. Excellent passing, rarely lost possession and I don't remember him being caught out of position in midfield. Ok, he doesn't have the skills of JDG but he was pretty effective tonight and got a few chances on goal, one resulting in Gerba's goal. He also delivered that superb FK to Atiba in the second half.

Just got home from work and excited to see the result. Gerba comes through once again. Is he going to lose his touch once he starts playing regular first-team football :D ?!?!

hope we can improve on the finishing in the next match v. CR to help our boys' confidence going into the next round!

Someone has already brought it up and I tend to agree 100%... tell me again why Stephen Hart wasn't hired full time for this past WCQ campaign? To this point, I think he's proven that he's more than capable of guiding this team. As some else mentioned, we look so much more comfortable out there as opposed to under Dale Mitchell.

But will the CSA realize this or go after someone else?

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Nolando, I'm a bit surprise with your assessment of Bernier tonight. I thought he was very good. Excellent passing, rarely lost possession and I don't remember him being caught out of position in midfield. Ok, he doesn't have the skills of JDG but he was pretty effective tonight and got a few chances on goal, one resulting in Gerba's goal. He also delivered that superb FK to Atiba in the second half.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. He was excellent. His finish was lacking on the chance but not really a surprise.

I also have enjoyed the few posters that are ripping DeJong for his six minutes of action yet are excited about Jackson, who was just as bad if not worse in his time. Not unexpected here.

As for the Simpson comments, I believe there will still be a lag time before he's back to the player we all think he can be since his injury. It's also possible he may never be there. He looked exhausted when he came off. I thought the scenario of DeJong starting and Simpson replacing was better as he seems able to give 30 minutes or less and DeJong is less of a liability tracking back.

Beyond that the team was excellent and Jakovic and McKenna seem the best combo at centre back we've seen.

Agree with you Andre W. about the 2 subs (Jackson and De Jong) they didn't have a good time on the field. Clearly De Jong doesn't seems really comfortable with that more advance role.

As for Jakovic/Mckenna, I think they are making a case for themselves but I would like to see us being really tested (you know, just like in WCQ) before being totally sold on that duo. On the offensive side of the game, I love Jakovic composure on the ball and his ability to make accurate pass to the midfield. On the other side Mckenna played a couple of interesting long balls.

Players evaluation :

(Excellent)

DeGuzman

(Very good)

Hutchinson

(Good)

Gerba,

Bernier,

Johnson,

Jakovic,

McKenna,

Klukowski

Jackson

(Average)-

Simpson

(Average-poor)

Sutton,

Stalteri

DeJong

(Poor) none

Sutton & Stalteri are the weekest links. They will be exposed against CostaRica and going forward in this turnament.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Fair enough, maybe I didn't give him enough credit for his work-rate, but don't tell me he gets a proper assist for Gerba's goal as that was more of an uncontrolled shot that that wasn't originally going to get past the keeper and into the net until Gerba touched it. That later, massive flub in front of goal may weigh more heavily in my mind that that brilliant cross. Maybe a B- tonight but unreliable over the long run and prone to making big mistakes in the middle of the park.

A bit worried with the yellows to Stalteri and Klukowski, along with previous one to JDG. Wouldn't be surprised to see one of them get another if Costa Rica are as scrappy and desperate as they should be on Friday. We are bound to have a true CONCACAF mess of officiating and playacting one of these games and don't be surprised if it is Friday. Klukowski could be replaced with Hainault, (although the runs and the distribution and the corners would be missed) but there are much less obvious choices there to take Julian's or Stalteri's spots for what would then be a critical knockout games. This "short" squad may harm us yet.

Excellent result, missed out on finishing 1 or 2 more but the backline was nearly flawless, we clinched our way through the group and the team has some serious confidence behind them which has been said in a long time. Stalteri's best days are far behind him, E.S channeled the game through him and he couldn't put in one decent cross or run. I would love to see Jamie Peters get a start or at least a half vs Costa Rica on Friday. Hutch's vision was sublime, Bernier and Johnsen will haunted with those misses for the rest of their life. If I'm Stephen Hart I'm telling the boys to shoot when 1 on 1 with the keeper, the pull back was way too obvious after the 4th time. Just as required Jackson came on and added the energy and pose needed to get through the last 15.

Solid performance, lets see some fresh faces against Costa Rica

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Nice tidy win. Not too many tense moments but I was looking for an ES dive in the box at the end.

6pts should be enough now although we could lose first or second with a loss to CR and a ES win over Jamaica on Friday. We'll be through with at least a third place anyway.

Yeah, probably. Although mathematically Canada haven't clinched anything yet. One more goal tonight would've been nice as it would've essentially wrapped-up a top 2 finish and avoid the USA until at least the semis. Oh well...

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Yeah, probably. Although mathematically Canada haven't clinched anything yet. One more goal tonight would've been nice as it would've essentially wrapped-up a top 2 finish and avoid the USA until at least the semis. Oh well...

I think one draw in the next four games should just about do it though.

Incidentally, my opinionated thoughts are up on www.cansoc.org

quote:Originally posted by nolando

A bit worried with the yellows to Stalteri and Klukowski, along with previous one to JDG. Wouldn't be surprised to see one of them get another if Costa Rica are as scrappy and desperate as they should be on Friday. We are bound to have a true CONCACAF mess of officiating and playacting one of these games and don't be surprised if it is Friday. Klukowski could be replaced with Hainault, (although the runs and the distribution and the corners would be missed) but there are much less obvious choices there to take Julian's or Stalteri's spots for what would then be a critical knockout games. This "short" squad may harm us yet.

Aren't single yellows wiped out after the first round anyway? I think that was the case in 2007.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Someone give Bernier a left foot.

LOL!

Any left foot! Any old one which may wash up on shore with the tide. Especially if it came with a boot!

Seriously, the groan which went through the pub with that wide shot...agonizing.

Otherwise, great match by the man. Absolutely the best match I can recall seeing him play.

But to be honest I think El Salvador lacked some jump tonight. The ref could only do so much for them, and clearly that alone simply wasn't enough.

best match i have seen atiba play in a red kit...

mckenna has had 2 good games...

nice posession football all around.

its amazing how good stalteri is at controlling guys coming in from the side...it is really apparent after watching edgar with newcastle all season playing RB, not his natural position....he is good with guys coming forward towards him but along the side he always looked uncomfortable...paul closes guys down every time in that position.

another great result for Canada.

Bring on Costa Rica. JDG looked greta out their was all over the ball Jhnson and Hutchinson had superb games as well although Johnson should of opted to pass a couple times he created a lot of positive nad aggresive play and pressed the defenders on their heels all night. Jako and Mckenna were rock solid. Klukowski had some slip ups but overall him and Stalteri played intregal parts on both sides of the pitch.

Sutton was good when he needed to be but could of used some better handling to keep Canadian fans off the edge of their seats. Gerba was good again goes down a lil softly for my liking and is slow to his feet as he talks alot while going down, down , and getting up. Hart coached a good game and truly earned his 4th consecutive win as interm coach for 'The Canucks' since taking over. It's safe to say if Mckenna, JDG Hutchinson and Gerba play as well as they did this game Canada could go far and possibly into the finals. Here's hoping Sutton is up for salvaging his career as I highly doub Wagenaar would be able to hold his own for an enitre tourney especially when it gets down to the eliminations games.

Just back from the stadium (and the bar). Pretty drunk, but I'll try and get first impressions down before I go to bed.

This was the first properly complete match I've seen Canada play in a while. We were superior on every part of the pitch, and while our finishing was iffy at times that's life. Our midfield went from "unremarkable" against Jamaica to "absolutely dominant" against El Salvador, and that's precisely what they needed to do for us to get the result.

My man of the match could be one of Julian De Guzman, Atiba Hutchinson, or Dejan Jakovic. They were all magnificent. <i>Jakovic</i>. My god. This kid should be in the EPL within three years. If he sticks with DC United he's wasting himself. I've seldom been more impressed with a young defender than I am with him.

The Voyageurs were glorious. There were about twenty of us punching above our weight class with chants and songs, and a few non-Voyageur Canadian fans came into our section to join in. The Columbus security was very professional, unlike in Los Angeles, and we had no problems. Almost all of our banners got up without incident and we could sing and chant to our hearts content. Quite a few of us also went to the bar, which is why I'm typing at two in the morning local time.

I've already spent quite a bit of money to go to a game in Miami that is now, essentially, meaningless, but I'm okay with that. <i>Allez les rouges</i>!

All the analysis has been done more than ably by all of you that have posted before me.

All I want to add is....THAT WAS FUN!!!!!!

From the coaches to the 13 men who took the field tonight, I stand up and applaud you all.

That wasn't necessarily a Barcelona-esque display of football mastery but what I saw put a big smile on my face for nearly the entire 2 hours. All the doubters who don't believe Canada is capable of playing good football need to watch that match.

I think the CSA needs to burn 2008 from the records of Canadian football history.

Archived