GC - July 7 - Canada vs El Salvador(R)

loyola

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The midfield was superb. JDG, Atiba and Bernier all had very good games tonight.

Gerba again!!!

Sutton makes me so nervous but he still has 2 clean sheets...

I was disapointed with El Salvador, I was hoping they would test our defense a little bit more than that.

Pretty solid game overall by our boys. Congrats!

quote:Originally posted by canucklefan

It could have been 3-0 but we won the game and that's what matters. Do you guys know if this Salvadorenian squad is the same they have for WCQ?

Apparently it's the same squad for the WCQ.

Another Canadian win. This is good.

What's the Canadian record for # of games undefeated?

Should've been 2-0 at least, but I'll take 3 points.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

I don't get tired of saying this, but with each game Hart looks like he should have been there all along instead of you know who. I can't remember seeing Canada play with such aplomb as today.

Agreed.I don't know if it's because they play too tight in WCQ but the way they approach Gold Cups seems very relaxed and confident. They took control from the start. We missed McKenna in WCQ. I wouldn't have any problems with he and Jakovic as our centre backs for future WCQ.

De Guzman...what can you say. He played like we know he can. He and Hutchinson gave the ES midfield no chance.

Great result for us, we played some nice possesion football! I think it's been said many times here but our finishing has to be better to take the next step! I'm pleased with most performances, Bernier was better, I'm still not sure if he's in my starting11,JDG was much better tonight with room to move!Hart seems to have a game plan, and for the most part, they stuck with it! I didn't like Simpson giving up on that wonderful long ball from McKenna in the first half, he was just ok I thought overall! It's good to celebrate another Canada win, just wish I could have been there!

~Well I was dressed up in red and looking forward in meeting some of you guys at Scally Wags.Got there at 8.50 and went from top to bottom,but not one red shirt.Went to the bar downstairs and had a bitch of a time getting the game on.She would check the list,spoke to a bald guy and yes sir the game came on.I was surrounded by many downstairs ,around 40 or so,but not one soccer fan.The guy next to me was very proud to point out he was a baseball fan as did the guy to my right.I wondered maybe you guys went to the sports cafe and decided to check it out at half time.Oops somebody tripped and the guy on my right said,this is what I don't like about soccer this diving.Hey I said it was a free kick.I glanced at the blue jays and it hit me these guys don't sweat and looking at our guys it was pooring.

That is the difference I concluded Baseball players have never seen sweat.Half time of to the sports cafe.nine screens all baseball.I went home and realized we have a long way still to go.Were did you guys go anyway.Anyway I got home to see the last 8 minutes and felt that Julian was the star,what enormous stemina and I strongly believe he will be playing for TFC.What a heart he has.Julian my boy from Scarborough,I recommend to bring all the Scarborough boys home.

quote:Originally posted by SilverSamurai

What's the Canadian record for # of games undefeated?

I think it's 13 in 1999/2000.

3 GC qualifiers

1 friendly in Bermuda

5 GC games

2 friendlies (Honduras and T&T)

2 WCQ (Cuba, home and away)

and then, as usual, we finally lost our first group stage game in Edmonton against T&T...

Great result but I still am not totally convinced. Sure it could have been 3-0 Canada but I also think that ES came very close to scoring a few times and were hardly a pushover. Unconvinced by Sutton and Bernier.

Simpson proved to me what I said after game one - that he hasn't progressed all that much as a footballer since his younger days under Yallop (or at least isn't showing it). He still has decent speed, but still can seem to do nothing to get around defenders except weave, which isn't working. He rarely plays off the ball at the right moment either. Why aren't we trying Nakajima over on that side and let him switch sides from time to time with Johnson who, despite poor finishing, showed oodles more creativity and passing ability than Simpson? DeJong didn't earn his spot back either with the few nervous touches he made in Simpson's place.

Attiba and JDG must have been reading our reports from game one because they came out the play and, especially in the first half, dominated the midfield.

Stalteri cost me a couple of fingernails. That shoulder he put into the ES player late near the box would have been a booking and maybe even a PK in El Salvador. Pity Ledgerwood's not here for cover.

Yes, we got robbed of one offside but I believe that they did too when McKenna called offside and let the attacker slip behind him. I'd call it even and commend the ref for letting these two teams play for most of the match.

Is Bernier a man of mystery or what? I thought he was defensive mid beside Hutch, but there he was scuffing balls and flubbing shots in front of goal. Again I would like to see another body in his place.

Gerba for me, is so effective for Canada because he makes things happen for himself, has the strength of a much bigger man, but has the touch of a slighter, finesse player and the instincts of a pure poacher. I think Jackson may be a more natural late sub for a winger like Johnson, as most, including Friend, would have a hard time trying to duplicate what Gerba brings and fit that spot perfectly.

Great distribution from the back, especially McKenna and Klukowski.

Nice to see the V's out there. Come on you Reds!!!

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

I don't understand how ES made the Hex. They look to be a worse opponent than St.Vincent.

If any game can demonstrate the flaws in the Concacaf qualifying system, this was it. A Canadian team that finished last place in the semi's in their group, with about 5 or 6 top players missing from it's roster tonight just dominated a team in the Hex that had one player of note (Quintanilla) missing.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

If any game can demonstrate the flaws in the Concacaf qualifying system, this was it. A Canadian team that finished last place in the semi's in their group, with about 5 or 6 top players missing from it's roster tonight just dominated a team in the Hex that had one player of note (Quintanilla) missing.

There was a lot of confidence in the result, and I really enjoy seeing that in a Canadian side. I liked our aggression early on, and I especially liked the way we played possession in most of the final 10 minutes. They looked like a side that knew how to avoid another CONCACAF "incident" in the dying minutes.

Well done all around. If it isn't Hart in WCQ next time around, it had better be a pretty remarkable, reputable international manager that takes us through.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

~Well I was dressed up in red and looking forward in meeting some of you guys at Scally Wags.Got there at 8.50 and went from top to bottom,but not one red shirt.Went to the bar downstairs and had a bitch of a time getting the game on.She would check the list,spoke to a bald guy and yes sir the game came on.I was surrounded by many downstairs ,around 40 or so,but not one soccer fan.The guy next to me was very proud to point out he was a baseball fan as did the guy to my right.I wondered maybe you guys went to the sports cafe and decided to check it out at half time.Oops somebody tripped and the guy on my right said,this is what I don't like about soccer this diving.Hey I said it was a free kick.I glanced at the blue jays and it hit me these guys don't sweat and looking at our guys it was pooring.

That is the difference I concluded Baseball players have never seen sweat.Half time of to the sports cafe.nine screens all baseball.I went home and realized we have a long way still to go.Were did you guys go anyway.Anyway I got home to see the last 8 minutes and felt that Julian was the star,what enormous stemina and I strongly believe he will be playing for TFC.What a heart he has.Julian my boy from Scarborough,I recommend to bring all the Scarborough boys home.

Nice story. In about 5 years time, expect it to be the exact opposite.

Archived