Cyprus vs. Canada (in Cyprus) - May 30th

Sam

quote:Originally posted by redhat

It's funny that we are all complaining about the lack of friendlies,

and then suddenly we get one and we complain that it's Cyprus. Sheesh.

I'd take ANY and as MANY friendlies as we need to win the Gold Cup,

and Cyprus is a good one and not to be underestimated. Remember Malta?

Since many of our players are Euro-based, it'll be perfect.

I agree.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

Speaking of the Gold Cup, what the hell is going on there? In november we have heard that Miller will be the official piss sponsor, and now nothing. We are what four months away? and they haven't announced the venues yet

When are the dates?

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I guess we could see Hirschfeld (even if I would prefer to see Begovic or Wagenaar play), Stalteri, Gerba (I'm not sure he qualify as "experienced"), Mckenna and maybe even Radz will show.

Didn't Stalteri retire from the MNT? Or was that a dream I had?

quote:Originally posted by Obinna

In a statement before the last WCQ game he said that he was focused on playing Jamaica and that "[o]nce that is sorted out I will think about my future with the national team." I can't see him retiring yet, but he will likely do whatever it takes to keep his place on European club.

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18153&SearchTerms=stalteri

quote:Originally posted by Obinna

Maybe you are thinking of Radzinski, who was dropping a few not-so-subtle hints around the time of the Mexico game in Edmonton. But even with him, I wouldn't be surprised if he gave it one last kick at the can.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

Its going to be later this year I thought I read somewhere. Like early July

I was gawking around and found the Wikipedia entry for this year's GC and they also said throughout July (3rd to 26th?). Seems a little late but maybe they are trying to fit in some Hex qualifiers in June.

Calling Stalteri would be acceptable. I mean he IS playing Bundesliga and he did play well vs. Mexico in Edmonton. If we are going to make a run at the Gold Cup we need a good team and no one puts up a real fight for the RB spot but vs. Cyprus I would like to see him just get a half we know what he is all about, he is familiar with the team already etc.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

I was gawking around and found the Wikipedia entry for this year's GC and they also said throughout July (3rd to 26th?). Seems a little late but maybe they are trying to fit in some Hex qualifiers in June.

I think it is because it gives players a bit of a break after their season ends. In the past they had to go right away but that was because of the U20 World Cup being in early July too I think. But now that the U20 World Cup is later the Gold Cup can take that spot

quote:Originally posted by I_AM_CANADIAN

...Which would be why, despite being in a region that plays far more matches than teams in our region do, they still manage to be 94th in the rankings.

You don't seem to get what I'm saying here; no, right now we're not good enough to get results against the likes of Estonia, Iceland and Jamaica. And do you think continually playing those teams over and over is going to make us improve? You play better teams, you learn more. It's just logical that, if we were to play five or six matches against the likes of Spain, Argentina and Italy, we'd find playing Estonia a hell of a lot easier.

I dont follow your logic at all. You have to play at your level. That's the only way you can measure progress and build confidence. What is achieved or gained by playing five or six matches against the likes of Spain, Argentina and Italy when they can field a team comprised of stars of international soccer and we will field a team whereby something like half the starting lineup plays in second divisions or small leagues? And, WE ALREADY DID that! remember the era circa 2004-2007? what did that prove?

We are not talking about 18-20 year players here who could really use the exposure.

Playing high profile oppponents was tried for several years and I am not sure that it was all successfull in the big picture. Granted, any match is better than no match. But a match versus some like CRC is far more valuable than going into Prague to lose 5-0 to the Czech republic. Also sides, like the ones that you mentioned, have different objectives and approaches to these types of games. You could just as easily lose 3-0 or 1-0 but it doesn't mean anything because the opponent would know going in that they are light years ahead of us and their objective might be to take a look at new players or build chemistry.

I'd rather see us play other lower ranked CONCACAF teams frequently - Panama, Haiti, El Salvador, etc. Until we can consistently beat those teams, we'll never achieve anything in our region. So, let's learn how to beat them, here in Canada, and more importantly, on their turf when the weather is in their favour. Let's get really comfortable playing them so there aren't any surprises when the games count.

quote:Originally posted by fengshui

I'd rather see us play other lower ranked CONCACAF teams frequently - Panama, Haiti, El Salvador, etc. Until we can consistently beat those teams, we'll never achieve anything in our region. So, let's learn how to beat them, here in Canada, and more importantly, on their turf when the weather is in their favour. Let's get really comfortable playing them so there aren't any surprises when the games count.

Bingo! But that is nearly impossible unfortunately because we wont get a full team seeing as most of our players are European based we have to play UEFA minnows instead of CONCACAF

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

What is achieved or gained by playing five or six matches against the likes of Spain, Argentina and Italy when they can field a team comprised of stars of international soccer and we will field a team whereby something like half the starting lineup plays in second divisions or small leagues?

what did that prove?

I would agree. I didn't know what was achieved when we were destroyed

by Germany (4-1), Portugal (4-1), Czech Republic (5-0?), and Ireland

(3-0). I even distinctly remember how it felt being at a Portuguese

club, dealing with the smirks of Portuguese ex-pats (and wannabees,

too) and their team had Cristiano Ronaldo and Deco toying with our

back four. (Fun wasn't it, Cheeta?)

I would rather have Canada play Cyprus, Wales, Honduras, Panama,

Mexico, and the USA frequently, and have the glamour match

(England, Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Spain, Holland, Germany) once in

a while. The real issue is the number of matches to prepare

(ie. the more, the merrier).

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

I wonder what city this game might be played in? I can get a return ticket for $275 from Vienna to Lacarna. Arriving Saturday morning at 4am and leaving Sunday morning at 4am. Tempting.... :)

We're very envious Sigma. ;)

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

I wonder what city this game might be played in? I can get a return ticket for $275 from Vienna to Lacarna. Arriving Saturday morning at 4am and leaving Sunday morning at 4am. Tempting.... :)

I know. I've got the same price out of Amsterdam and I'm seriously considering it. The only trick is that it's right during thesis finishing time ...

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

That was just one game in Cyprus' 4 team International Friendly Tournament which they just held.

Cyprus-Slovakia-Ukraine-Serbia.

They are a focused, decent team. Still, the vast majority of their players play domestically. One or two in greece. We should beat them.

I would be happy with a tie over there. At some point, we'll have to stop comparing rosters and where players play, clearly it's not a good indicator.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I would be happy with a tie over there. At some point, we'll have to stop comparing rosters and where players play, clearly it's not a good indicator.

Though, even by the "where we play" metric, we should be cautious because Slovakia have some very high caliber players that we see every week on TV.

Archived