Mother of All Canadians Abroad - February 2010

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't know he was so young (born in '84), or that he had such good stats last year (6 G, 4 A in 17 games).

Those stats were particularly good considering the absolutely awful team he played on with most of his teammates not belonging in the USL. He played well in all the games I saw him play. Hope he has a full recovery.

Yes, I think Gaudette is a superior keeper to Sutton and is also 4 years younger. If there is only one keeper spot up for grabs I think Gaudette is going to take it over Greg.

Well, Sutton is still in NY's camp, FWIW

"Former Toronto FC starter Greg Sutton arrived in camp early and hasn't departed yet, while Danny Cepero found his way to the waiver wire after falling out of favor last season. Bouna Coundoul remains the projected number one as the Red Bulls weigh whether Sutton or another pair of veteran hands – European reports have persistently linked New York with a move for Eintracht Frankfurt goalkeeper Oka Nikolov in the summer, but FC Dallas holds his discovery rights – could provide a calmer, more consistent presence between the sticks."

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/article?contentId=1797606

Don't know if he is still with Red Bull but I stick to my opinion that Gaudette is better than Sutton. Nevertheless, Sutton is more than adequate as a backup MLS keeper and there are more factors than mere playing ability that go into deciding who to sign. For one, I am not sure what Gaudette's contract situation is with Puerto Rico but even if he is out of contract I can't imagine Puerto Rico not wanting him back and if he is under contract they would want a decent transfer fee. He is making good money in PR and would probably be more expensive than an out of contract player released from his former team who is trying to get his career back on track. I am also not sure that Gaudette has a good personality for someone projected to be the backup keeper while Sutton would fit in to any team well regardless of his role.

BTW: I get my information about Gaudette's salary from the man himself. During a game against us in Montreal he yelled back that he was making big bucks in PR, had two houses and even more women and that we (UM02) were just jealous because we were a bunch of unemployed hooligans! :)

Don't know if he is still with Red Bull but I stick to my opinion that Gaudette is better than Sutton.

*** Trialist keeper Greg Sutton will get a half of action vs. Houston in the Disney tourney before the club makes a decision on the 33-year-old Canadian. He has a career 1.67 goals-against-average with a 1.46 GAA in 2008, his only full year as a starter. (Nominal starter Bouna Coundoul has a 1.18 career GAA average, the second-best mark in MLS history.)

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/soccerblog/red_bull_trialists_notes_FUyMpkJZckHJmG8BQCCBJJ

Great move for him!! Hopefully he gets a contract... what an opportunity. He'll be playing on an MLS perennial powerhouse with great players, 3 fellow Canucks, a great organization and away from TFC. He has played and impressed in EPL reserve footy and has some u20 international experience too, it'll definitely help. Reserve england ball doesn't get you a spot on the CMNT but playing on a team like Houston probably will

Congrats to Derek, maybe a backdoor route to MLS in a year or so. From when i've seen him play he is extremely technically sound, just needs to adapt to the pace / physicality of the professional level.

WTH? It says that Osieck is a CSA scout now?? Very interesting if true...

Not overly surprising....SH has a good relationship with Holger. I thought he was pretty much semi-retired anyway so doing some scounting for the CSA makes sense.

Srdjan Gajac, 18 yr old from Edmonton, is with Rot-Weiss Erfurt U19s along with Graham Fisher of Calgary. Gajac has two appearances in the last two games. Fisher is waiting on paperwork as he is not yet 18.

Kenny Stamatopulos is leaving Norway for Swedish champions AIK: http://fotball.aftenposten.no/eliteserien/article163018.ece

AIK sold their no. 1 keeper Daniel Öhrlund to Rosenborg this past winter and his replacement sfuffered a knee injury his last pre-season game. That means Kenny will start the season next weekend as no. 1.

AIK will attempt to defend both their league and cup titles from last year, and will play CL qualifying.

Kenny Stamatopulos is leaving Norway for Swedish champions AIK: http://fotball.aftenposten.no/eliteserien/article163018.ece

AIK sold their no. 1 keeper Daniel Öhrlund to Rosenborg this past winter and his replacement sfuffered a knee injury his last pre-season game. That means Kenny will start the season next weekend as no. 1.

AIK will attempt to defend both their league and cup titles from last year, and will play CL qualifying.

Wow, that's a pretty solid situation for Kenny S. if he can hold onto that number one position. Good luck to him!

I suspect you're referring to Maycoll (Miguel) Cañizalez, who capped five times, scored once, and rode the pine in the 2003 Gold Cup. Currently with Bonner SC in the German Regionalliga Nord (fourth division). If he did renounce his citizenship he'd be ineligible for Canada, but even if he wasn't I can't imagine a 27-year-old German fourth division midfielder would be getting too much attention.

I suspect you're referring to Maycoll (Miguel) Cañizalez, who capped five times, scored once, and rode the pine in the 2003 Gold Cup. Currently with Bonner SC in the German Regionalliga Nord (fourth division). If he did renounce his citizenship he'd be ineligible for Canada, but even if he wasn't I can't imagine a 27-year-old German fourth division midfielder would be getting too much attention.

Thanks, I guess I had the name wrong so couldn't google him. Thought he was going to be something when he was young. Looked like he had good skill.

Archived