Mother of All Canadians Abroad - February 2010

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imone Mohanta, 25 year old born in Toronto and raised in California has signed with I-League defending champs Churchill Bros:

http://oheraldo.in/news/Sports/Churchill-Al-Wahda-to-clash-in-AFC-play-off/32923.html

Meanwhile, in order to add teeth to their attack, Churchill Bros roped in PIO from Canada, Imone Mohanta, who, however, is not eligible to be fielded in Dubai.

Peter Figueiredo, Media Officer, who will be travelling with the team to Dubai for the final play-off match, disclosed that Mohanta has been practicing with Churchill Bros for the past one month and that he would be fielded against Salgaocar on Monday.

Twenty-five-year old centre-half Imone was born in Toronto but grew up in San Fransisco Bay Area. He moved to UCLA for University studies in Los Angeles and currently resides in San Diego, California).

Imone played in tournaments organised by the Punjab community in US and Canada and was encouraged to join the I-League by JCT players from JCT. His club coach from San Diego United (Guy Newman) who has been coaching in the Major League Soccer with his colleague Tim Hankinson (now with Salgoacar) helped to facilitate his move to Churchill Bros.

Clubs and family information’s: Imone has had training with top flight professional arena soccer team San Diego Sockers, who are currently in their inaugural season, local clubs San Diego Surf and Latino Powerhouse team San Diego Pumitas.He was the captain of dominant Indian Club, L A Khalsa.

Imone’s parents were both born in West Bengal. His father, Samaresh from Bardhaman, who was the District Deputy Magistrate there moved to Canada and enrolled for Ph D in Chemical Engineering at University of Waterloo.

Imone’s mother, Aparna who hails from Suri, near the famous Shantiniketan, was the daughter of Sisir Nath Mukherjee, who was a football player having donned colours for Scottish Church College in Kolkata. Aparna’s mother was an athlete having been an India sprinter.

Imone’s sports gene may have come from his mother’s side. His mother was a track athlete as well as a sprinter for India. Her father, Late Sisir Nath Mukherjee, was also a soccer player and played for Scottish Church College in Calcutta while he was a student.

Imone’s father, Samaresh, who is with Duracell, the battery company in Toronto has settled in California and is the R&D director for Powergenix, holding more than 20 patents and numerous publications in scientific journals and books.

Is there a reason why Canadian USSFD2 players on American teams aren't on this list?

John Jonke - Crystal Palace Baltimore (USL First Division) (2)

Tyler Rosendlund - Rochester Raging Rhinos (USL First Division) (2)

Ross Smith - Portland Timbers (USL First Division) (2)

Derek Gaudet - Portland Timbers (USL First Division) (2)

Mozesh Gyorio - Tampa Bay Rowdies (North American Soccer League) (2)

Alen Marcina - Miami FC (North American Soccer League) (2)

Jack Stewart - Carolina Railhawks (North American Soccer League) (2)

Andres Arango - Minnesota NSC (North American Soccer League) (2)

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1084978&page=9

The top 96 born players for Calgary SouthWest United club are on tour in the Netherlands and one will be remaining behind for a try-out with SC Heerenveen's youth system -- from their travel blog:

"We travelled to the city of Heerenveen, where Paco Deckers and his family lives. Paco used to play in Calgary and after trying out, was awarded a position in the sc Heerenveen youth development program. We went on a stadium tour (the facility holds about 26,000 people), we toured the local market and we training with Paco's trainers for about 1.5 hrs. We also left Brendan Canejo there, in the care of Paco's family. Brendan will be trying out for the Heerenveen youth program for the next week or so. We wish Brendan all the best with his evaluation!"

^ My son is buds with 2 of the players over there so I can find out when they get back. Brendan Canejo who is remaining behind and Paco Deckers were mentioned in the following article from when they were 10/11. I know the boys over there are all 96's. Sounds like they can score at youth level!

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2005/12/17/pf-1357672.html

edit: Found his profile at the Heerenveen site. Born in Montreal which makes him Canadian.

http://www.opleidingsc-heerenveen.nl/competitie/teams.php?speler_id=135

Persitara Jakarta Utara- Ladislas Bushiri, played in the Indonisian league, played with Ottawa Fury before hand. Don't actually know if he is still with the club but played with them in the new year.

Dawid Kwiek who played youth soccer in Poland jumped over to Switzerland for a bit. Looks to be playing for LKS Nieciecza in the polish third divisions East group.

Hey guys, i've been asked to take over this thread so i'm posting my MOACA list from BigSoccer...should be mostly correct, let me know what i'm missing.

Ok, the character limit is 10,000 on this forum...i'm 682 over the limit.

Hey guys, i've been asked to take over this thread so i'm posting my MOACA list from BigSoccer...should be mostly correct, let me know what i'm missing.

Ok, the character limit is 10,000 on this forum...i'm 682 over the limit.

Thanks for the service YNWA, and thanks for stepping into his shoes, jpg75. I will be happy to help with corrections/additions.

Archived