Mother of All Canadians Abroad - February 2010

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

That would appear to be the NY Astros goalie VPjr. was talking about!

He played in a League Cup match last Aug 25th. Match ended 2-2 and he didn't give up a single PK goal (Nimes won 3-0):

http://www.nimesolympique.fr/textes/saison/matches/cligue-09-02.html

yup...that's the guy I was waiting to post about. I was trying to get more info on him

very good keeper from what I'm told.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not had time to do much with CA lately, but i have been twittering (canucksabroad) when I hear from players with info. Once my Football manager 2010 duties are complete I should have a lot more time to dedicate back to the site.

Anyways, Matt Lam wrote to me to let me know he'd signed for Croatian HNL (1st Division) side Croatia Sesvete.

Sounds like Paris is about to sign with AC Horsens:

http://www.bold.dk/nyt/Lillebror-Farran-skriver-med-Horsens-i-dag

Google translation:

Paris Nakajima-Farranfore has impressed during the probationary training in AC Horsens, which he now expects to write a contract.

Næstved and Paris Nakajima-Farranfore was three weeks ago agreed to terminate cooperation, but now everything indicates that the Canadian has found a new club. The recent weeks he has trained with AC Horsens, and it must be said to have gone well. - I've been here the past week, and hopefully I can sign a contract today, but you never know before the signature is placed. I'm expecting a way just to paperwork goes in order, says Nakajima-Farranfore to bold.dk.

- I've got a really good impression of the club. The coach is a nice guy, with big ambitions, like the club. The rates much on getting up in the SAS Ligaen again, so it is a good place for me to be.

In Horsens reconciled Paris Nakajima-Farranfore with big brother Issey Nakajima-Farranfore, which transfervinduets last days were brought to the club.

- I've always been very up to my brother's football regularly, so it will be fantastic to play with him. We are comfortable with each other both on and off the pitch, and probably all dream about playing with their brother. So I am pleased to say Canadians.

Paris Nakajima-Farranfore has been in Denmark since Naestved got him in 2007

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Another Ontario boy, passed over by OSA All-Stars, signs 3 year deal with Czech first div team and West Ham has serious interest in him.

Striking quickly in Czech Republic

Ex-Fury player Hadziresic, 18, on first-team squad

Richard Starnes, The Ottawa Citizen September 26, 2009

Safet Hadziresic was chuckling when he admitted he had not been a silent spectator in all the years he watched his son, Mahir, on soccer fields across North America.

"I'm not really quiet," he said. "I get excited."

And excited he should be following some stunning news that came buzzing down the telephone line from the Czech Republic to his Nepean home this week.

It was Mahir on the line to say he had made the first team squad with Czech First Division team Mladá Boleslav. It was a remarkable birthday present for the attacking midfielder, who only turned 18 two weeks ago.

Mladá Boleslav is a city of some 50,000 about 50 kilometres northeast of Prague. The two major things in the city are Skoda, the car manufacturer, and the soccer team, which played in the Champions League three years ago and presently sits in the middle of the Gambrinus Liga -- or First Division.

While Mahir is thrilled by his rapid rise, this was not the place he expected to sign his first professional soccer contract.

Born in Bosnia, he and his family moved to Germany when he was almost five, and remained for three years before coming to Canada. He had been playing soccer since he was four.

He joined the Ottawa Fury when he was old enough and became a dominant midfielder at each age group.

Hadziresic played in the Super Y League championships with the Fury in Florida, the U.S. National Cup and the Foyle Cup in Northern Ireland, and the U.S. Olympic Development Program in Florida in 2007 and 2008.

Club life with the Fury was tremendous, his father said. "But you need some luck. Talent isn't everything."

The Hadziresics went three times to Toronto to try out for the provincial team, but Mahir just couldn't attract the attention of either provincial or national coaches. "We just didn't know what they were looking for," Safet says. "Like I said four years ago, I needed someone to see him who knows soccer."

Then, last year, West Ham came to town and everything changed. The English Premiership club was in Toronto to play the MLS all-stars and took the opportunity to stage what it called an elite player ID camp in Oakville.

Major clubs around the world hold such camps as they dig for a diamond-in-the-rough. Anyone could go and Mahir wasn't going to miss this chance.

It took him 15 minutes and two goals to get noticed.

"After 15 minutes, I saw them pull him off the field and I thought to myself, 'What's wrong now?'" Safet said. "Then I saw Jon Conway (GM of the West Ham Academy USA) pointing his finger up at me and Mahir's mom."

Soon afterward, West Ham's main academy director, Tony Carr, made it clear he wanted to fast track Mahir and Patrick Soltys from Erin Mills to London for a trial.

This is the academy that has bred players such as Frank Lampard, Rio Ferdinand and Jermaine Defoe and, as such, is among the best in England. It looked like Mahir was on his way.

Then things hit a new snag. The Hammers wanted him, but British visa regulations wouldn't let them. For a year now, the English club has been trying to persuade government regulators to grant the attacking midfielder his papers. Nothing has materialized.

Then the chance to join Mláda Boleslav's academy came up. Safet Hadziresic says the Czech Republic can grant visas if you have a job to go to and since there are connections between West Ham and the Czech club, it made sense to take a three-year contract.

So, in June, Mahir left Ottawa for his new home and a brand new adventure. But nobody could have predicted how fast things would move.

With the junior season three games old, most junior players were looking to solidify their places at the club and look ahead to making the first team in a year or two.

Not Mahir. Playing as a striker, the kid with a powerful right foot started scoring goals. Safet was there to see him play for the under-19s on Sept. 19. "He scored one, should have had two or three more," he says.

Safet came home on Sunday last week so he missed being there for something even more exciting.

On Monday, after two practice sessions, Mahir was called into the office. "You're on the first team squad," his coaches told him.

He is scheduled to play for the B team today and has been told, "You'll probably play for the first team on Monday."

Safet is thrilled and a little stunned. "We are all so surprised because it happened so fast, with such a huge jump," he says.

Right now, former Ottawa Senator Martin Havlat is considered Mláda Boleslav's most famous sports star. I wonder if Mahir Hadziresic will be the next?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Ed

Posted by Dave Marino-Nicholson, who maintains the Yanks Abroad list at Bigsoccer.com.

"The brothers Mario and Carlos Fernandez, naturalized Americans born in Canada, are currently playing in a lower Spanish division.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1179092&highlight=mario

That is a fifth tier team in the south of Valencia, their division:

http://www.futbolme.com/com/1/_reg/55/index.asp?modo=jornada

In Spain after first and second, you have four divisions of 2B and 17 of 3rd division. That is what the Spanish Royal Federation runs. After that the regional FAs are in charge, and this is one of four divisions of the next tier in Valencia.

I know players in Catalonia at this level, it is probably close to or slightly higher than PDL in North America, maybe USL II, depending on the team and the player himself. But you can make money at this level, anywhere from 500 to a thousand euros a month, at least at this level where I am.

Just did some more research, seems the brothers arrived this summer, don't know from where. The team played a playoff to promote to 2B 4 years ago, was in third div. at that time.

Canadian status debatable, and no longer a player but I thought it might be of interest to some that John Van't Schip just landed a head coaching role in the Aussie A-League with the new Melbourne expansion team. I think it's a step down for him from being the Ajax Asst. Manager but he obviously really wants to try his hand as a Manager.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/van%E2%80%99t-schip-unveiled-melbourne-heart-coach-373971

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I have been recently been made aware of another young Canadian GK playing abroad

Name: Daniel Mendez

Current Club: Goias Esporte Clube (Brazil). This club plays in Brazil's top division.

Youth club: Woodbridge (ON) SC

Apparently, Daniel was scouted playing for Woodbridge SC this summer and invited to come to Goias for a 3-6 month "trial". He was also invited to trial for Oldham Athletic (English League 1) this past spring but had to turn down the invitation due to injury.

Another young keeper to track. If I get updates on him, I'll pass it along.

I received an update about Young Mr. Mendez

Goias has now elevated him to the club's U20 team, meaning that he gets to train with both the 1st team and the 1st team reserves as well as compete in whatever league play the U20 program would take part in.

Nice to see that he must be doing well enough to impress his Brazilian coaches.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jeffery S.

A reminder to those posting names and clubs that you should be providing some confirming article or link, so the MOACA doesn't turn into a hearsay list.

Archived