Mother of All Canadians Abroad - February 2010

Anoyone know what became of Miguel Cannivares? I remember he had to renounce his Citizenship to play in Germany several years back, but I'm pretty sure he was capped. Is he anywhere on the MNT radar??

I suspect you're referring to Maycoll (Miguel) Cañizalez, who capped five times, scored once, and rode the pine in the 2003 Gold Cup. Currently with Bonner SC in the German Regionalliga Nord (fourth division). If he did renounce his citizenship he'd be ineligible for Canada, but even if he wasn't I can't imagine a 27-year-old German fourth division midfielder would be getting too much attention.

Thanks, I guess I had the name wrong so couldn't google him. Thought he was going to be something when he was young. Looked like he had good skill.

Are you sure about him renouncing his citizenship? I have never heard about this which is not to say it didn't happen but I suspect you may be getting him confused with Tam Nsaliwa who unlike Canizales was national team calibre and did renounce his citizenship for German citizenship making him ineligible to play for us anymore.Canizales was someone a lot of us thought would accomplish more but in the end has spent much of his career playing in the 5th division which is pretty similar to the CSL in playing level. If he did renounce his citizenship I doubt it was for the purpose of furthering his playing career since he is/was playing at such a low level in Germany and probably is not making a lot of money.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you sure about him renouncing his citizenship? I have never heard about this which is not to say it didn't happen but I suspect you may be getting him confused with Tam Nsaliwa who unlike Canizales was national team calibre and did renounce his citizenship for German citizenship making him ineligible to play for us anymore.Canizales was someone a lot of us thought would accomplish more but in the end has spent much of his career playing in the 5th division which is pretty similar to the CSL in playing level. If he did renounce his citizenship I doubt it was for the purpose of furthering his playing career since he is/was playing at such a low level in Germany and probably is not making a lot of money.

I hadn't heard either way, but it would make sense for Cañizalez to go for German citizenship. The MNT has no interest in him anymore and he's been in Germany for a while. An EU passport would obviously be good for his career even if it was just in the lower leagues.

Sutton signs with Red Bulls

By THE CANADIAN PRESS

The New York Red Bulls loaded up on ex-Toronto FC talent on Thursday.

The MLS team signed Canadian goalkeeper Greg Sutton and acquired Welsh midfielder Carl Robinson in exchange for a fourth-round draft pick.

One of the first players signed by the Toronto club, Sutton was released in June 2009 after losing his job Stefan Frei.

Robinson, 33, was declared surplus to requirements this week by new Toronto coach Preki. New York was happy to bring him on board.

"Carl is a very consistent player who will immediately contend for a spot in our starting lineup," Red Bulls GM Erik Soler was quoted on the club's website. "He has a significant amount of experience at both the club and international level and we expect that he will bring a strong veteran presence to our locker-room."

Robinson made 74 appearances for Toronto, with 73 of those as a starter. He had three goals, seven assists and was also named team MVP in 2007, and 2008.

Sutton spent three seasons with Toronto, posting seven shutouts in 33 starts.

Solver believes Sutton can push Bouna Coundoul for the starting job.

"We have been impressed with Greg's performances during his time with us in pre-season," Soler said. "He is a very experienced goalkeeper and will compete for a starting role."

Prior to joining Toronto, Sutton was a fixture for the Montreal Impact of the USL First Division, making 132 appearances and helping the team win a title in 2004.

A four-time USL-1 goalkeeper of the year, Sutton was on the New York roster in 2000 but did not make an MLS appearance. He has made 16 appearances for Canada's national team.

Really, I didn't know that of Nsaliwa, that's terrible. Well, thanks. Glad I found this forum. Not easy being a fan in Canada. So, with Nsaliwa, since he is capped as a senior player, I take it this means he can no longer play international football for anyone?

I did not know that Marco Terminesi was Canadian. I pray for a full recovery.

http://usl1.uslsoccer.com/home/403114.html

Wave leading scorer Marco Terminesi, who has been sidelined the past month as doctors in Toronto treat him for a possible brain tumor, could return to training with the team this week, coach Keith Tozer said during the debut of the Soccer Saturday radio show on ESPN Milwaukee. "The surgeons got together on Thursday and said they're going to have to wait two or three months, but they feel that if the symptoms are kind of going away a little bit that he could possibly play. So we're keeping our fingers crossed," Tozer said.

http://madisonsoccercentral.com/college/uw-men/2193

I didn't know where to put this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cAOmfErRBQ&feature=related

After watching these two clips of Jacob Lensky it's becoming painfully clear that he is completely Canadian and incredibly homesick.

I hope that when the Whitecaps enter MLS they pick him up for his own sanity. Mods, please put this where you want.

Seems manic depressive if you ask me, which of course is no laughing matter.

So what is the deal with him choosing Czech over Canada.

He gets a higher value as a player playing for the Czech rather than playing for us. And from that interview with Rednation where he said "I love Canada but to me soccer is just soccer" I can tell that for him it's all about money.

He gets a higher value as a player playing for the Czech rather than playing for us. And from that interview with Rednation where he said "I love Canada but to me soccer is just soccer" I can tell that for him it's all about money.

Yeah, from the looks of his place in that video he must be all about the money.

I didn't know where to put this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cAOmfErRBQ&feature=related

After watching these two clips of Jacob Lensky it's becoming painfully clear that he is completely Canadian and incredibly homesick.

I hope that when the Whitecaps enter MLS they pick him up for his own sanity. Mods, please put this where you want.

Why don't you put it where the sun don't shine. This thread is for CANADIANs abroad, not punk ass Euro trash.

C'mon Ed, don't shoot the messenger...these videos clearly show that Lensky is a confused, homesick young man with a don't-give-a-shit attitude. Probably raises more questions than answers, but sheds light on why this kid did what he did. He calls soccer boring, probably played it cuz his dad wanted him to and now he's still playing it only cuz he's good at it. I get the feeling he'd rather be a rock star and drinking whiskey all day...

I have to agree with Ed. Lensky seems like a really weird guy possibly suffering from depression or some other mental issues. On the other hand he seems entirely able to make rational decisions and I will save my sympathy for Canadians with mental issues who don't betray their country.

Watching the video though I do think it is better that he isn't playing for us regardless of whatever level of play he progresses to. We haven't had the best discipline or attitude in the national team for quite some time and I think he would be an extremely negative personality to add to the dressing room. Even just from watching the video he seems like the type of guy you just want to avoid being around.

I'm sorry. Any empathy or interest in him went out the window when he turned his back on Canada. You make your own bed.

Hey i agree with you about Lensky, just sayin' there's no need to tell Digz to stick it up his ass.

And i agree with Grizzly too, we're probably waaaaaay better off without him on our National team. I'd rather have someone with less talent who eats, sleeps and shits soccer 24/7 playing for us.

Hey i agree with you about Lensky, just sayin' there's no need to tell Digz to stick it up his ass.

And i agree with Grizzly too, we're probably waaaaaay better off without him on our National team. I'd rather have someone with less talent who eats, sleeps and shits soccer 24/7 playing for us.

Point taken. Apology to DigzTFC. Should have told him to put it here

Crystal Palace Balimore signed John Jonke:

http://www.examiner.com/x-14152-Crystal-Palace-FC-USA-Examiner~y2010m3d19-Palace-signs-Jonke-Gary-Brooks-returns-after-one-season-with-Real-Maryland?cid=edition-rss-Baltimore

"Crystal Palace Baltimore has added more depth to their backline by signing defender John Jonke. The 23-year-old played in the Finnish Second Division last season, making ten appearances with AC Oulu, and helping them win promotion to Finland's top division.

Jonke also played with the Canadian Under-20 national team in 2005. The following year, he enrolled at Louisville on a soccer scholarship, where he made 56 appearances. He later landed a spot on the Toronto Lynx (PDL) roster, adding another 21 appearances to his resume. Thanks to Jonke's defensive skills, Toronto made the playoffs in 2008, ending an eight-year postseason drought."

Archived