Mother of All Canadians Abroad - February 2010

Can we just delete this page entirely. This thread is for Canadian player transfer, trial and signing news ONLY. No results, discussions etc, you have other threads for that.

And while I'm here how about a request. If you have news appropriate for this thread, and it is so newsworthy that you deem it deserving of it's own thread, can you please, please post it here as well. Those other threads drop off the front page and if the news is posted in this thread we have a timeline to help keep track of player movement. Tks.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Russia was a great team missing from the WC ?

bwahahahahaha. I respectfully disagree with that. It gave me great pleasure to see Slovenija do them in TWICE. Great teams lose in a 1-off. Not against the worst team in UEFA Playoffs. 2006 & 1998 ? No where to be found. At least they made the First round in 2002. Apparently Hiddink said that Russian can pass like Spain. I heard that from the KGB Headquarters in Montreal. Either that or a poster from this site...

That country serves no purpose. Football-related and otherwise.

My mistake. Exporting strippers and alcohol poisoning. Very good at that.

Russia was a great team missing from the WC ?

bwahahahahaha. I respectfully disagree with that. It gave me great pleasure to see Slovenija do them in TWICE. Great teams lose in a 1-off. Not against the worst team in UEFA Playoffs. 2006 & 1998 ? No where to be found. At least they made the First round in 2002. Apparently Hiddink said that Russian can pass like Spain. I heard that from the KGB Headquarters in Montreal. Either that or a poster from this site...

Spoken by a guy who has obviously never had the opportunity to sleep with a beautiful Russian woman. In fact, this guy has probably never slept with any woman, that is why he is such an angry loser! :)

Better yet, can we just let this 99 page and 988 post thread drift off into the sunset and start a new thread?

I would like to do this (especially after Captains Armband's recent nonsense, but also because it might clean things up a bit), but is YNWA still running this thread these days?

For some reason, I have it in the back of my head that YNWA left it in the hands of someone else, but I might be completely wrong. When I have a moment, I can try to go through everything since the last update of the first page (April 1st) and submit an up to date list in a new thread if someone wants to maintain it.

Who is Jordan Santiago, 18yr old just added to the Cardiff squad, Goalkeeper.

http://www.football.co.uk/cardiff_city/players/jordan_santiago_137705.shtml

Anyone with any concrete info on this kid, On Cardiff's Wiki page he has a Canadian Flag beside him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiff_City_F.C.#Current_squad

Yes, he's Canadian and he will be with Canada U-20's in August acoording to this article about Cardiff keepers:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/cardiff-city-fc/2010/07/22/david-marshall-ready-for-bluebirds-no-1-battle-91466-26904345/

Cardiff City's third-choice goalkeeper Jordan Santiago is set to link up with Canada's under-19 team

Also:

http://www.cansoc.org/showthread.php?39815-WalesOnline-Jordan-Santiago-has-Six-Months-to-Impress-at-Cardiff

Yes, he's Canadian and he will be with Canada U-20's in August acoording to this article about Cardiff keepers:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/cardiff-city-fc/2010/07/22/david-marshall-ready-for-bluebirds-no-1-battle-91466-26904345/

Cardiff City's third-choice goalkeeper Jordan Santiago is set to link up with Canada's under-19 team

Also:

http://www.cansoc.org/showthread.php?39815-WalesOnline-Jordan-Santiago-has-Six-Months-to-Impress-at-Cardiff

Thanks for the quick reply.

we can use all the goalies we can get, already 3rd choice keeper on a Championship team at 18 is a good start. I wonder if he will be the starter for the U-19 team.

PARIS NAKAJIMA FARRAN was released by AC Horsens, due to his contract expiring

http://www.bold.dk/blog/995/23/Superligaoptakt-20102011-Del-3

''Ud: Allan Søgaard (karrierestop), Søren Friis (kontraktudløB), Marc Maze (kontraktudløB), Paris Nakajima-Farran (kontraktudløB), Martin Laustsen (kontraktudløB), Adam Eckersley (kontraktudløB).''

Pick up the phone Duze, I wouldn't mind seeing one or both the Nakajima's in the Caps roster competition going forward, with Sanchez, Moose and Steele all gone and more guys to be cut, a Canadian like Paris could fit in.

A friend of mine's son is on trial with Welling United of the Blue Square South (formerly Conference South) in England. He told me that as many as five Canadians were expected to arrive soon for a trial. After some investigation (online) it seems my friend may have been overstating the case a bit, but I have found there are currently three players being referred to as "Canadian" that have been involved at the club during pre-season.

One is Lucas Menz, a goalkeeper for Abbotsford's PDL side and at Quest University in Squamish, BC. He has blogged about his trip and it makes for some interesting reading. From reading the blog it is clear he was only there for the experience, has now returned to BC and had no intentions of staying. He also doesn't mention the other Canadians on trial. http://www.lifeatquest.ca/project/project.aspx?asset=247

It has been difficult to actually find the names of these other players. Reports in the local paper suggest there are two more. One is a defender and the other a midfielder. According to Jamie Day (the Welling Player/Manager) both came on in the second half (along with Menz) in a 4-1 win against a very young Arsenal XI on Saturday (24th July). Day also claimed that the midfielder scored against Arsenal, so if that is true, his name is Daryl Robson. However, it seems Daryl Robson is not Canadian at all. He is listed as English on his Wikipedia page, and has recently been kicking around the PDL with the Indiana Invaders (after many stints with English non-league and Irish clubs).

Day also said that the Canadian defender played left back against the Arsenal XI. I can't be 100% sure but from the banter on the Welling Fan Forum it seems his name could be Martin John. John entered the Arsenal match at the 62nd minute (along with Daryl Robson). He was involved in the winning goal and was singled out by many in the forum as putting in a good performance. The only Canadian I can find anything about with that name is from Ottawa and played with the University of Buffalo and the Ottawa Fury in 2008. He also took part in the USL Men's Player Showcase in 2008. I can't find anything about his career after that though. He is not listed on the Ottawa Fury roster for this season.

Does anyone else have any info on Martin John and where he's been for the past year or so?

A friend of mine's son is on trial with Welling United of the Blue Square South (formerly Conference South) in England. He told me that as many as five Canadians were expected to arrive soon for a trial. After some investigation (online) it seems my friend may have been overstating the case a bit, but I have found there are currently three players being referred to as "Canadian" that have been involved at the club during pre-season.

One is Lucas Menz, a goalkeeper for Abbotsford's PDL side and at Quest University in Squamish, BC. He has blogged about his trip and it makes for some interesting reading. From reading the blog it is clear he was only there for the experience, has now returned to BC and had no intentions of staying. He also doesn't mention the other Canadians on trial. http://www.lifeatquest.ca/project/project.aspx?asset=247

It has been difficult to actually find the names of these other players. Reports in the local paper suggest there are two more. One is a defender and the other a midfielder. According to Jamie Day (the Welling Player/Manager) both came on in the second half (along with Menz) in a 4-1 win against a very young Arsenal XI on Saturday (24th July). Day also claimed that the midfielder scored against Arsenal, so if that is true, his name is Daryl Robson. However, it seems Daryl Robson is not Canadian at all. He is listed as English on his Wikipedia page, and has recently been kicking around the PDL with the Indiana Invaders (after many stints with English non-league and Irish clubs).

Day also said that the Canadian defender played left back against the Arsenal XI. I can't be 100% sure but from the banter on the Welling Fan Forum it seems his name could be Martin John. John entered the Arsenal match at the 62nd minute (along with Daryl Robson). He was involved in the winning goal and was singled out by many in the forum as putting in a good performance. The only Canadian I can find anything about with that name is from Ottawa and played with the University of Buffalo and the Ottawa Fury in 2008. He also took part in the USL Men's Player Showcase in 2008. I can't find anything about his career after that though. He is not listed on the Ottawa Fury roster for this season.

Does anyone else have any info on Martin John and where he's been for the past year or so?

Martin John tried out for the Whitecaps at the beginning of last season.

I'm actually good friends with his brother who played on the McGill CIS team. From what his brother mentioned, Martin was actually in Argentina training with the Argentinos Juniors reserves, don't quote me though... I guess he's sinced moved over to England, and yes that is in fact the same Martin John that you are discussing here. He notched a couple of assists in that match vs Arsenal.

There's a nice write up here

http://www.arsenal.com/match-menu/172083/reserves/-v-arsenal-res?tab=report

My mistake. Exporting strippers and alcohol poisoning. Very good at that.

hmm, also seem to be quite good at producing some of the world's finest literature, classical music, mathematicians, physicists, scientists, athletes, philosophers etc... but clearly there is no discussion to be had here. Let's try to keep the cultural slander and ignorance to a minimum on these boards please.

I'm actually good friends with his brother who played on the McGill CIS team. From what his brother mentioned, Martin was actually in Argentina training with the Argentinos Juniors reserves, don't quote me though... I guess he's sinced moved over to England, and yes that is in fact the same Martin John that you are discussing here. He notched a couple of assists in that match vs Arsenal.

There's a nice write up here

http://www.arsenal.com/match-menu/172083/reserves/-v-arsenal-res?tab=report

I saw that write up as well. Must have been a nice memory for Martin John. I'm not sure that he has stuck around at Welling as he did not feature in their latest match at Canvey Island (a 4-1 win). From what I've read I don't think he would have been let go because he wasn't good enough though. Money is very tight and I think the club wants to sign young promising (cheap) talent. My friend's son was looking at a contract of just £50 per week. Hardly enough for someone trying to make a living in southeast London. I suspect he's trialling somewhere else now. I'll try to keep a look out for him. Hopefully he lands on his feet somewhere.

Archived