Gold Cup - Canada vs. Guadeloupe 06/09 [R]

jpg75

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah i agree i am not impressed with sutton. at all. we need to move on from him after this tourney. when will hirschfeld return? who else is in the fold? we are looking really weak at the back...nervous...way to nervous

I don't think our back line was necessarily crappy. The first goal was a communication error between Hastings and Sutton, though I'd honestly say I cannot understand why Sutton was out so far when Hastings was clearly getting to this ball.

Second goal was an error in midfield. Hutch did not pick up his man, and as a result the guy waltzed in--unchallenged, yes--and notched a gorgeous goal.

Gordon's got it right. We're learning; we've got a long ways to go. Learning how to break down a well-organized team is not something we've had a lot of experience doing. We are a decent countering team, but not much on pick lesser teams appart. We'll have a much better outing against Haiti, though it'll be very tight.

I think what happened here is that when we played costa rica we had the mindset where we believed we could win and tried hard to prove that we could. So we played hard, were creative and knew we had nothing to lose and all to gain with the victory. Then Guadeloupe came and it was as if we couldnt lose because the game before we beat a team we shouldnt have. So we were lackadasical, slightly cocky and not at all hardworking because "it was only Guadeloupe" In essence I think our heads were in the clouds just a little bit after the first game. I know you all realize, but the thing is that in international soccer people have such high expectations because there is no room for error, but error is inevitable because Canada plays so few games and rarely field the same team over those games. Its all about learning and I think after this loss we have, so that is why I believe we will beat Haiti.

Haiti is not the greatest soccer nation, they are beatable

If Guadeloupe had dominated Canada, then I would be worried. In no uncertain terms did Guadeloupe dominate Canada in any manner, except time wasting. Once again, we played down to our opponent. It was a different game to the Martinique match years ago, that ran at Canada, and took us to the brink. This was not an end-to-end affair.

I don't think Guadeloupe even had a corner-kick the entire match. They scored two low-percentage, hail-mary goals, then sat back in the heat and played complete defence and time wasting. Credit to them, I have never seen a team in my life, waste time like them.

As long as Guadeloupe exists, I doubt they will ever score two goals like that in their existance.

But they did not out-play Canada. Their two goals were not even legitimate scoring opportunities. In fact, outside of those two goals, I vaguely remember Sutton making one lame save. So it's not like Guadeloupe peppered Canada with shots and dominated the play. As stated earlier, I don't think they had a single corner-kick (losing to a country that did not have a single corner-kick must be a first).

No, Canada has not suddenly turned to crap. We created opportunites, and failed to put them away. Perhaps we were out-coached, as our second half substitues did not create a spark, in fact, we lost momentum (which is probably more to fatigue). It pisses me off to no end that we choked, and there is no way we should have lost, but it happened.

Canada will beat Haiti on Monday and claim first place.

We got beat by a team who took advantage of two rare opportunities to score.

Guadeloupe's goals were preventable, but yet De Rosario hit the post, and

Stalteri failed to convert the header. My real concern is how we tired in

the middle of the 2nd Half due to heat and dehydration.

Hart has to offer the adjustments and we just have to execute.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Gordon's got it right. We're learning; we've got a long ways to go. Learning how to break down a well-organized team is not something we've had a lot of experience doing. We are a decent countering team, but not much on pick lesser teams appart. We'll have a much better outing against Haiti, though it'll be very tight.

Watched part of the first half when it was 0-1 as well as the last 15 minutes live, then chose to watch the entire slow motion train wreck on tape this morning. It looked like one of those very humid, energy sapping afternoon evenings in South Florida where you just didn't want to fall behind, especially on a goal like the one we gave up. In fact, I thought all three goals were rubbish from a defensive side: as much as you can appreciate Gerba's control and finish, how wide open was he? I froze the tape and saw him in the penalty arc with the defenders flanked in a triangle, each Guadeloupe player about 8 yards away from him. Offside trap awry or just forgot about him?

Gerba received the pass from Bernier on the goal and that was the midfielder's lone bright spot of the match. Otherwise he's not giving us an offensive threat down that side. In a match like this where the opposition is packing the centre we need both flanks operating: I thought DeRosario was trying to make some things happen down the left, but Bernier was anonymous on the right. That's where I thought Hume would be brought in for the last 20 minutes or so, but Hart chose to bring him in earlier for Gerba, but he didn't leave much of an impression as the central striker. The manager persisted with Bernier until the 84th minute when he chose Harmse to replace him, the guy ear marked to be the defensive holding midfielder/sub[?]

I would have thought that a quicker offensive player like Ribeiro or Issey would have been brought in (unless they were injured).

No sacred cows for me for this match. I thought Hutch and DeGuzman were off with their passing this evening, and Nash just didn't have enough oomph defensively out there (fun fact: you know it's time to sub Nash when he's late with a tired challenge and then he throws out his arm, seemingly to grab his opponent as he goes by. He did it in both matches around the 50th minute.)

Positive? I like the arrival of Pozniak. Mo seems to be using him in a variety of roles with Toronto FC so he is used to being a jack of all trades, which is valuable in a tournament squad. Based on what I have seen, he jumps above Harmse on the depth chart.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Gerba received the pass from Bernier on the goal and that was the midfielder's lone bright spot of the match. Otherwise he's not giving us an offensive threat down that side. In a match like this where the opposition is packing the centre we need both flanks operating: I thought DeRosario was trying to make some things happen down the left, but Bernier was anonymous on the right. That's where I thought Hume would be brought in for the last 20 minutes or so, but Hart chose to bring him in earlier for Gerba, but he didn't leave much of an impression as the central striker. The manager persisted with Bernier until the 84th minute when he chose Harmse to replace him, the guy ear marked to be the defensive holding midfielder/sub[?]

That's what I was thinking as well. Bernier is not a forward. He played a nice ball to a wide-open Gerba, but otherwise did nothing the entire match. Hume could have provided some speed down the flank. And Gerba was always dangerous and a handful. He's demonstrated that if he has a second on the ball, that he can be lethal. If they continued to give him space, he would punish them again.

So yes, Hume should have come on for Bernier.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

If Guadeloupe had dominated Canada, then I would be worried. In no uncertain terms did Guadeloupe dominate Canada in any manner, except time wasting. Once again, we played down to our opponent. It was a different game to the Martinique match years ago, that ran at Canada, and took us to the brink. This was not an end-to-end affair.

I don't think Guadeloupe even had a corner-kick the entire match. They scored two low-percentage, hail-mary goals, then sat back in the heat and played complete defence and time wasting. Credit to them, I have never seen a team in my life, waste time like them.

As long as Guadeloupe exists, I doubt they will ever score two goals like that in their existance.

But they did not out-play Canada. Their two goals were not even legitimate scoring opportunities. In fact, outside of those two goals, I vaguely remember Sutton making one lame save. So it's not like Guadeloupe peppered Canada with shots and dominated the play. As stated earlier, I don't think they had a single corner-kick (losing to a country that did not have a single corner-kick must be a first).

No, Canada has not suddenly turned to crap. We created opportunites, and failed to put them away. Perhaps we were out-coached, as our second half substitues did not create a spark, in fact, we lost momentum (which is probably more to fatigue).

Agreed.

As the lone striker, Gerba was a blackhole. IMHO that is where everything for the night began to break down. I don't think he held up or controlled a single ball sent to him from the midfield all night. Once that happens, everything breaks down (and did).

I'm not saying he's crap but he is just not suited for that position and task for the squad. Hart should have recognized this and switched up the formation. Putting Hume into the same position was even worse.

As for Sutton, he instills no confidence whatsoever. First minute of the game and he clears everyone out so he can hoof it up the park to no one. Great stuff.

quote:Originally posted by Regs

As the lone striker, Gerba was a blackhole. IMHO that is where everything for the night began to break down. I don't think he held up or controlled a single ball sent to him from the midfield all night.

Well, he did chest down the ball that led to his goal quite nicely.

NO, Sutton has no confidence in the international game. The central defenders would have played better if they knew they could rely on Sutton, but they cant.

Hastings is just ok, may be useful injury cover. Hainault has disappointed me, i thought he was an up and comer for a starting spot but he wouldnt even be starting on TFCs weak central defence, much less Canadas. I expected more from him.

Jazic was ok, would like to see what klukowski can do there. Stalteri has missed so many chances in 2 games, its heartbreaking.

Hutch and deGuz need to learn that when one of them moves forward, the other has to watch for the counter, and not let someone run through the middle of the park and have a shot on our paper goalie.

Bernier sucked going forward. Brought nothing. I want to like this guy but damn its hard. I think he should be moved into Nash's defensive distributor role.

Nash, im sure he's a nice guy.

deRo made a few plays which is nice, but after a while it was clear to me he wasnt going to do anything more. Why is this guy untouchable all of the sudden, he should have been subbed for Issey. He was running all day in the heat, why wasnt he subbed with 20 mins left?

Gerba, 2 goals in 3 games, cant fault him. With our midfield quality we shouldnt have needed Friend, if Gerba gets a good ball he'll put it away but he wasnt given squat in the second half.

It really was all psychological weakness. Thought they could win by going along in 3rd gear, well they couldnt. Hart should have started Nakajima Ribeiro Harmse Poz and Hume across the midfield, they would not have had that attitude and we would have won. I wouldnt mind if they started against Haiti, as our first string could use a benching after that sorry display.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

I don't think our back line was necessarily crappy. The first goal was a communication error between Hastings and Sutton, though I'd honestly say I cannot understand why Sutton was out so far when Hastings was clearly getting to this ball.

Sutton made the right decision. Hastings didn't have time to control the ball, and the only thing he could do was knock it somewhere slightly less dangerous, which he did. Sutton may have called for the ball too late, but going for it was the safer play.

quote:Second goal was an error in midfield. Hutch did not pick up his man, and as a result the guy waltzed in--unchallenged, yes--and notched a gorgeous goal.
So that was Hutchinson. It was a big mistake, but the kind that might not happen if they play together more often. It was a great shot by Fleurival, but a little lucky. If he could hit those consistently he'd have more than one goal in his professional career.

I thought all the Guadeloupe players had to be born there. Fleurival was born in a suburb of Paris.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Hainault needs to watch his arms on headers, he's been called for a half-dozen similar fouls in 2 games.

He's has much needed heart and toughness, but he's going to have us killed in CONCACAF if he doesn't adjust his game. He was better yesterday than in the previous game. It'll be interesting to see if he can adjust. Loved how he took that guy out of the tangle with Stalteri. He also seems to be a decent passer. Hopefully Canada can salvage this tourney and he can get some exposure to get him in a better league.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Well, he did chest down the ball that led to his goal quite nicely.

Gerba isn't a target man. This was painfully obvious from the first 5 balls played to him in that role. It doesn't matter though. Henry's not a target man either and he does okay when he's alone up front. We could learn from the Arsenal 4-5-1. Down the wings, it's the only way. If Haiti's fullbacks can handle DeRo and Hutch, then we might as well off ourselves now.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Gerba isn't a target man. This was painfully obvious from the first 5 balls played to him in that role. It doesn't matter though. Henry's not a target man either and he does okay when he's alone up front. We could learn from the Arsenal 4-5-1. Down the wings, it's the only way. If Haiti's fullbacks can handle DeRo and Hutch, then we might as well off ourselves now.

Exactly right. Same thing with AS Roma. At times it looks like they are playing with 6 midfielders but they find a way to make it work. Dero did alright down the left but there was absolutly nothing on the right. I know Bernier isn't a winger, so I expected to see more of Stalteri overlaping. Even if we do get good crosses, with out Friend we really don't have an aerial presence. I think that is where the losses of Friend (and even McKenna on set pieces) hurts the most.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Spot on.

What can you expect when the MNT never plays together? It doesn't matter how much talent we have if the CSA is too cheap to stage at least five international friendlies in Canada per year, it ain't gonna happen. They got their fuking stadium in Toronto and a MLS team to go with it, which in their infinate pisdom (yeah Andy, I'm referring to you and your bum buddy Kevan) they said would be what Canada needed to in order to made headways in international soccer. And then we have guys like this putz Brennan, who would rather lose games with the Toronto FC than put on the Maple Leaf, although he has the vucking nerve to already invited himself to play in World Cup qualifiers. F. U. Jimbo! You don't want to do the grunt work, but you'll represent us at the Big Dance eh? We don't need that kinda of zhit. Obviously your not good enough to make a living in Europe anymore. Now that you don't have to travell all the way across the pond, you'd rather help Toronto lose a few instead of fighting for your country? Even Beckham has more class than that. Canada's national team needs matches in Canada and players who are willing to go into battle and die wearing the Maple Leaf. Shame on the CSA and all players like Brennan.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Bernier sucked going forward. Brought nothing. I want to like this guy but damn its hard. I think he should be moved into Nash's defensive distributor role.

When Pozniak came in for Nash, DeGuzman appeared to drop back deeper and take over the Pirlo-esque (for want of a better term) distribution role from in front of the defence. He seemed to be getting more outlet passes from the back line.

Before this tournament began I proposed a 4-2-3-1 arrangement, with both DeGuzman and Bernier as co-defensive shields, DeRosario and Hume on the flanks with Hutchinson in the centre supporting Friend upfront. Considering the current state of the squad, we may have to go with that kind of arrangement, with Gerba once again replacing an injured Friend and possibly Pozniak replacing Bernier. I do agree that we need a more consistent attacking threat on the right side.

quote:Originally posted by jagum

Somebody could tell me why Friend did not play for canada yesterday against Guadalupe?

Is he sick? will he play against Haiti?

I think he picked up an injury in the first game.

quote:Originally posted by masster

Exactly right. Same thing with AS Roma. At times it looks like they are playing with 6 midfielders but they find a way to make it work. Dero did alright down the left but there was absolutly nothing on the right. I know Bernier isn't a winger, so I expected to see more of Stalteri overlaping. Even if we do get good crosses, with out Friend we really don't have an aerial presence. I think that is where the losses of Friend (and even McKenna on set pieces) hurts the most.

Again though, Arsenal aren't great crossers of the ball. Their wingers attack the box. DeRo can do it, and Hutch can do it if switches positions with Bernier. 1 v 1 we shouldn't lose a single battle against these backward nations/not even greating countries.

Archived