Gold Cup - Canada vs. Guadeloupe 06/09 [R]

jpg75

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the ref got suckered in by the pathetic and disgusting wasting of time and injury faking. There should have been ten minutes of added time for that embarrassing display.

But an even more embarrassing performance by our team. The entire match was a comedy of errors for our defense. Very poor distribution by the mids, and no finish by anyone.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Let's be very clear when we say that we are losing not because a team has cheated their way to victory -

we just plain stink

It's the same old problem -- we get a good result against a strong team and then blow it against a team we should beat easily.

We are one of the only countries in the world that seems (on those rare occasions when we are ahead) to be unable to stall and hold on for victory - that's us being stupid and lacking in key tactics imho

then them soak up this victory - nthey deserved it - no need for excuse-making canadian crybabies today

Guest Can. in UK

I must confess that I did bet against Canada tonight.

Let's not ever talk of this game again. It never happened.

The loss is Canada's fault they couldn't get the job done, but the ref spoiled an otherwise good job by accepting the rolling around of the Guadeloupe team. Not adding any extra time in added time for the sub and Capoue's "injury" is shameful, cards need to be handed out to stop this practice.

Sorry for essentially flooding the messageboard today guys, I hope it wasn't too annoying. Was hoping to update those who weren't able to see the game, and it is always fun to connect with you fellow rabid fans, even while watching chinese tv feeds and listening to delayed colombian radio and sitting in southern japan. Let's hope Haiti wins tonight and doesn't need to scalp us for the points next week. Thanks to Splaty again for all the info and feeds!

At the end of the day you have to give it up to the opposition tactics. They gave Canada the ball and we couldn't do a thing with it. I think we should have countered with a similar approach. The Guadeloupees, or WTF they're called, gave the ball away very cheaply. Sounded like Hart wanted to focus on defending, but the lads thought they were Brasil. We could have easily won an ugly match 1-0 if our defending wasn't ****e. We're kidding ourselves if we think we can score our way out of trouble.

We definitely missed Friend though. I counted at least ten times when Jazic ran out of ideas on that left side. Balls that should have been played into the middle, died on the flanks, or were pushed back to Nash or Julian. Gerba just doesn't cut it as a target man. He's too keen on going forward himself.

Disgraceful.

Disgraceful lack of coherence by our guys. (which ftr is why we lost... we looked horrendous)

Disgraceful lack of sense by the ref.

Disgraceful displays of poor sportsmanship by Guadeloupe.

Pardon me while I go puke. Because this game made me feckin sick.

Lesson #1 tonight: If we're playing an underdog, they score on us early and then take the lead again, we need to play with more than one striker. Hutch, JDG, DeRo et al are great 1v1 but there was rarely a decent target in the box and no one for Gerba to play off of. Guadeloupe packed the area and it was going to take something from distance to beat them. The 2nd half should have started with Hume in for Nash with Hume playing a little more central off of Gerba.

Yeah it was a crap performance but we didn't have to lose because of it. Another striker and we could play faster and our attacking mids could receive passes in the attacking third rather than have to beat three players to get in those areas.

I have to say Guadeloupe played a near perfect gameplan against us. I be the Guadeloupe coach was thinking last night "what style sould give Canada the most trouble..." and came up with the idea that we never play against teams that don't take it to us.

We play true underdog teams so seldom that our players seemed to have no idea what to do against a team that sat back and waited for us.

Huge mental mistakes cost us, and then Guadeloupe plays the tried and true CONCACAF fish flop to choke us out of the game.

I'm watching Costa Rica/Haiti right now... and I'm already doing the math. I HATE doing math trying to figure out what the best results from this game will be for us.

Gah... If Haiti wins we'll be in third place. I think a tie is best, right?

quote:Originally posted by DC76

Disgraceful.

Disgraceful lack of coherence by our guys. (which ftr is why we lost... we looked horrendous)

Disgraceful lack of sense by the ref.

Disgraceful displays of poor sportsmanship by Guadeloupe.

Pardon me while I go puke. Because this game made me feckin sick.

The ref was strong, in my opinion, until he failed to sort out the injury situation. Get to the player early, assess what's wrong, get him off the pitch, add the time on.

Archived