Gold Cup - Canada vs. Guadeloupe 06/09 [R]

jpg75

What frustrated me the most was the constant passing by the defence on our own half of the field, especially in the first half. I can understand doing it once to shift your point of attack, but after they'd switched the ball, why were they passing it back across the field again? And when they finally did make a pass to a midfielder, he'd just push it back to the defence, starting the whole process all over again. Some give and go's could have worked wonders.

At least in the 2nd half the outside defenders (especially Jazic) started pushing up. This opened up some holes for us, but it was too little too late.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lucky for Guadeloupe? Yes, Canada gave them at least one gift in the form of their early goal and another gift in the form of becoming distracted.

Outplayed, yes, and out-coached.

How many posts were hit versus how many shots were on target or saved? Poor performance on that given the share of possession.

Horrendous? The results, based on the above, speak for themselves. No disguising the poor showing.

I agree with those who talked about the team being poorly managed. There should have been a shift in tactics when it became apparent that Guadeloupe was sitting almost entirely inside their own half and playing the counter. Instead Hart continued with 4 at the back and 1 striker right to the bitter end. I know the team spoke of expectations of Guadeloupe being aggressive before the game but the lack of an adjustment was pretty much inexcusable. Nash looked slow and USL calibre, with and without the ball, but other than him and Sutton I actually didn't think too many other players played really badly, just were poorly deployed. The side was lacking any sort of cutting edge down either wing, the lack of a player with pace on the wing is pretty bad. I thought Sutton played the first goal poorly despite Forest's opinion.

Extremely disappointing result, probably only because the Costa Rica game raised my expectations for once. Hopefully Haiti doesn't watch that game and play the same gameplan because that was agonizing.

At some points the play of Guadaloupe was almost comical, as they over shot wide open passes by a good 10 yards or shanked clearing attempts. However, considering this was the calibre of our opponent, it makes the loss that much more frustrating.

Guest speedmonk42

It's really strange, but this is what I expected.

I felt we would play well against Costa Rica, and we did.

I felt we would not play well against Guadalupe, and we did.

The good news, I do feel we will play well against Haiti.

Hopefully my instincts are 3 for 3.

Guest speedmonk42

If the media don't care how do you expect these kids to care.They read and see and hear and they know nobody cares. Were is that motivation. In fact that motivation was not there tonight in that duke bar. Only ten guys showed up and one was from Holland.I was totally discusted and even more so when I stopped in my local bar and there he was the TFC guy,no red face and I asked him did you see the game,he asked were they playing to night, no it was canada I replied, he looked puzzled were they playing and he walked away.

OK Jonathan get your Dutch passport and forget about Canada, nobody cares at all, bunch of phonies out there and hey I am from holland!

quote:Originally posted by john tv

If the media don't care how do you expect these kids to care.They read and see and hear and they know nobody cares. Were is that motivation. In fact that motivation was not there tonight in that duke bar. Only ten guys showed up and one was from Holland.I was totally discusted and even more so when I stopped in my local bar and there he was the TFC guy,no red face and I asked him did you see the game,he asked were they playing to night, no it was canada I replied, he looked puzzled were they playing and he walked away.

OK Jonathan get your Dutch passport and forget about Canada, nobody cares at all, bunch of phonies out there and hey I am from holland!

You're an idiot.

why don't you move back,this is the most stupid rant i have ever seen on here!!!

Guest speedmonk42

What it says to me is that the psychological side of the game is what is missing.

We play well against good opponents, we know the skill is there.

This is why I didn't think the game against Guadalupe would go well, coming off the win with CR to an unknown 'minnow' team.

It was a bad mental setup.

quote:Originally posted by cndsoccer

why don't you move back,this is the most stupid rant i have ever seen on here!!!

I could do an even more stupid one........

Disapointed, almost upset. The diving and theatrics to take time off the clock, hhhhhhhhhhah how do we get this outta the game?

Two goals from long range, the second by Guadaloupe was a good'n though.

But this one's over next comes Haiti. We gotta make the quarters c'mon guys shake it off, get 'er done next game.

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

Here is hoping you are right.

Four little lines in the Star,that's it!Was even very difficult to find.

In this case that's a good thing. The fewer people that know about this embarassment,the better.

I haven't seen the game yet & won't be able to until just before the Haiti game, but I don't know that I will bother putting myself through the pain. Needless to say this is very disappointing & shows that those of us worried about the lack of consistency of our program were right to do so. It's even more disappointing in light of the Canadian players saying that the great win over Costa Rica was going to give them more confidence for future matches.

What worries me about Stephen Hart is that this is practically a pattern with his teams in tourneys. Start off well but then find somehow find a way to not get through. I hope we can buck the trend on Monday. The only good news is that we hold our own fate in our hands, and even a tie might be enough to get us there (but I want the bloody win after yesterday's result).

quote:Originally posted by Tyson M

the good news is it doesn't affect the rankings...

the bad news is that this result affects my personal rating of the team...

like i said earlier. lone striker only works with friend.

However, it does count in the unofficial ELO rankings (for those of us who care about those rankings as well - http://www.eloratings.net/gold_cup.html).

This loss dropped Canada from 51st into a tie with Angola for 60th in the world in the ELO rankings. Guadeloupe climbed seven spots to 100th with the win.

I agree with the comments about our poor defending and overly ponderous buildup. In fact, this match reminded me a lot of the 2000 Gold Cup quarterfinal between Canada and Mexico, except this time Canada played the role of Mexico. In both games, the team that was considered the favourite going in kept the ball for long stretches of time but had little joy breaking down determined defending, while the underdog kept its shape and counterattacked decisively.

Also, it has to be said that the team with the better goalkeeper won on this night. I'm not sure we should be surprised that the backup keeper for a Dutch top-flight club outplayed Greg Sutton.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

First goal, bad. You just can't make mistakes like that at this level.

Second goal, we just didn't close down the shooter. But credit where it's due, that was a good shot by Fleurival.

Agreed on the 1st goal. Total crap and I have no clue why Sutton trotted out as far as he did on that play. 100% his fault. Anytime a player scores a 45 yard one-time volley it's the 'keepers fault.

Especially agreed on the 2nd goal. THAT was a mighty fine blast. One Hell of a cracker and might be the goal of this tourny when it's all said and done.

Great match by the Guadeloupe keeper I thought. Stole at least a point from us and all his fellows owe him a pint, although I admit he did have a lot of help.

Thought the ref' had a great match as well until (as has been mentioned) the end there but would be happy to see him ref'ing again.

Nope. Didn't see this coming at all. Those French scored early, got their tales up and it was going to be one of those days from there on.

It's all the more intense now isn't it? And hopefully that'll bring back "Good Canada" for Monday. Two hard matches will hopefully have done the deed on the Haitian legs.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Agreed on the 1st goal. Total crap and I have no clue why Sutton trotted out as far as he did on that play. 100% his fault. Anytime a player scores a 45 yard one-time volley it's the 'keepers fault.

Unless the keeper called for it on the previous play, but in this case you clearly hear Sutton calling "keeper" and the ball is about one meter away from Hastings so no chance for him to let that ball to his keeper. Late decision making by Sutton cause the goal but he had no business stopping that volley because of his start position.

Archived