2nd Friendly announced vs. France, 9 June (see game thread)

4 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Any word on whether One Soccer will stream this game like the Netherlands friendly?

I would think so but given that we are also facing the former world champions this game most likely will be on other networks too. It has to be.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Any word on whether One Soccer will stream this game like the Netherlands friendly?

Because Westhead eagerly announced the friendlies, when he would never do so if TSN were not involved, not being interested in journalism beyond his company's interests, that is what I understood: it is part of the Copa package. 

I am pleased to say I booked and will be in Bordeaux for this match.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

18 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Isn't it only home friendlies CSB were handed the rights to? Think this one is potentially up for grabs to the highest bidder if there is interest from mainstream cable. Probably a long shot in Engliah language terms sadly but maybe there's a market for it in French in Quebec?

I would be pleasantly shocked if TSN picked this up.

They have shown zero interest in picking up any friendlies to promote Euro or Copa.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Because Westhead eagerly announced the friendlies, when he would never do so if TSN were not involved, not being interested in journalism beyond his company's interests, that is what I understood: it is part of the Copa package. 

It is not.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, RS said:

It is not.

Surprised. Especially the Sunday game, 3pm EST on a Sunday in June.

TF1 has the rights. In Netherlands, the public NOS has theirs.

I appreciate Netherlands is a harder sell as it is mid afternoon EST on a Thursday. But what else would they have at that time? The Sunday, Lions play at home on the 9th, think it coincides; the Stanley Cup finals will be on by then.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

I appreciate Netherlands is a harder sell as it is mid afternoon EST on a Thursday. But what else would they have at that time? The Lions play at home on the 9th, think it coincides; the Stanley Cup finals will be on by then.

I've no idea if these games will end up on either of the big Canadian cable sports networks, but what I do know is that these friendlies are not part of the Copa package. Completely different entities in charge.

TSN would be smart to show one or both, of course. 

Regardless, I'm confident that this match will be available to watch in Canada (as we already know OneSoccer has the Netherlands match).

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RS said:

FFF owns this game and will sell it off to the highest bidder.

In some regions, UEFA-based friendlies are packaged together and sold to broadcasters as such. 

Away friendlies (and neutral ground friendlies) have always ended up on OneSoccer.

I presume that part of the CSA's negotiation package when these things are signed, is to own the rights to the broadcast within Canada.

This may be one of the terms of the Canadian Soccer Business deal.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

TF1 has the rights. In Netherlands, the public NOS has theirs.

I appreciate Netherlands is a harder sell as it is mid afternoon EST on a Thursday. But what else would they have at that time? The Sunday, Lions play at home on the 9th, think it coincides; the Stanley Cup finals will be on by then.

France match overlaps with Canadian Grand Prix on TSN/CTV. NBA Finals G2 is also scheduled but at night.

DAZN has rights to UEFA-based qualifiers/friendlies. But they show a very limited number of friendlies. While not showing NED v CAN, DAZN did show Chile's friendlies vs Albania (in Italy) and France in the last window. 

3 hours ago, johnyb said:

If you're going to move it, why not go all the way so there is no overlap. Doesn't make sense to me, unless the move is for a different reason. 

At first glance it doesn't make much sense so I figured that there must have been an administrative reason regarding the facility or staffing that prevented them for starting the match even earlier.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Is this where we are discussing projected lineups for Sunday? I've genuinely lost track.

Are we imagining Crepeau in? Tajon at RB to compete with Mbappe? And the million-dollar question of what to do with Phonzie?

Could Millar play LB for a half? Can we find a formation to have a third mid there and drop Larin?

Edited by nolando

1 hour ago, nolando said:

Is this where we are discussing projected lineups for Sunday? I've genuinely lost track.

Are we imagining Crepeau in? Tajon at RB to compete with Mbappe? And the million-dollar question of what to do with Phonzie?

Could Millar play LB for a half? Can we find a formation to have a third mid there and drop Larin?

Want someone as fast as Mbappe to deal with him defensively but who? 

Phonzie needs to be on the wing

Can we please try to park the bus or at least play a clogged up midfield for the first 45 min so that we can see if we can do it and what that looks like? We all have to admit that if you want to really prepare for games against top 10 opponents, you need to have this in your bag. I don’t care about the results, I want to see progress in our team play, and I am tired of seeing 10 minutes of good pressing/attacking football that eventually falls apart against elite teams and us wondering if we can extrapolate these 10 minutes into 90 (we cannot).

My lineup for France (4-2-3-1 formation)

GK- Crepeau

LB- Hiebert

CB- Bombito

CB- Cornelius 

RB- Johnston 

CDM- Eustaquio 

CDM- Choiniere 

LW- Davies

CAM- Millar

RW- Buchanan 

CF- Ugbo

Hiebert comes in at LB, Choiniere is in and Davies at left wing with Tajon on the right with Millar playing alongside them

With Ugbo playing up front in a Lone striker role

Surely this is a training exercise. Therefore it’s likely we see Marsch employ the 4-2-2-2/442 again. 
big question. Is Johnston fit?  Will laryea get minutes?

crepeau 

johnston/ laryea/ buchanan (depending on fitness) bombito cornelius Davies 

kone staq

millar buchanan/shaf(if Buchanan plays rb)

david Ugbo/bair