2nd Friendly announced vs. France, 9 June (see game thread)

3 hours ago, narduch said:

I would play a 4-5-1. I realize that probably won't happen under Marsch.

David

Davies - Eustaquio - Kone - Choiniere - Buchanan

Laryea - Bombito - Cornelius - Johnston

Crepeau

Marsch played 451/4231 almost exclusively at Leeds. So don't see a problem there.

Kone can certainly be the 10 in the second variation.

Is Laryea ready for possibly Dembele? Or even Kolo Muani who played that side as a wingback their last friendly and a winger the one before.

3 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Is Laryea ready for possibly Dembele? Or even Kolo Muani who played that side as a wingback their last friendly and a winger the one before.

I highly doubt that Laryea starts.  He has not had a club start, just a sub appearance I suspect we'll see Davies there again.  Hiebert thrown into the deep end would be a serious challenge

Also, is Johnston healthy from his knock?  If not, then we'll see Buchanan at RB because Zator out there would be sacrificial.

1 minute ago, BearcatSA said:

I highly doubt that Laryea starts.  He has not had a club start, just a sub appearance I suspect we'll see Davies there again.  Hiebert thrown into the deep end would be a serious challenge

Also, is Johnston healthy from his knock?  If not, then we'll see Buchanan at RB because Zator out there would be sacrificial.

Deschamps went 3 at the back last game, Marsch did so with Leipzig, so maybe Davies and Buchanan can be the primary wide defenders while still worrying about Griesman, Thuram or whatever close to world class player they have in the centre.

But to be honest, we obviously match up really poorly most places.

I think Davids movement could be a problem for Upemacano, if that helps.

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I have to say coming back to North American sports semi recently, is there a reason we don't start at the given time so often on this continent?

Television 

Just now, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Really? Honestly never looked into it but European televised games start very close to on time, the vast majority of the time.

Traditionally we never had long pre game shows. The broadcast normally starts on the hour or half hour. The game gets a small intro and then starts 5-10 minutes later. It's simply always been this way in North America 

40 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Marsch played 451/4231 almost exclusively at Leeds. So don't see a problem there.

Kone can certainly be the 10 in the second variation.

Laryea probably isn't ready. He played 9 minutes for TFC on June 1.

In that case I would maybe play Davies at LB and Millar at LM

My evaluation of Jesse Marsh will begin after the Argentina match. Realistically, we could have a seasoned manager with an extended training camp and we’d still likely go L-L-L vs the Dutch, France, and Argentina. 

Objectives for the France match:

1) Build on the structure from the first half vs the Dutch. We looked very organized early on with clear starting points and pressing triggers. We had a very good Dutch side looking uncomfortable. That scoreless first half was a “win” in my eyes.

2) Score a goal. We must prove that we can punish teams of this calibre. We have the fire power to do it. 

3) Keep the score within 2 goals. I wouldn’t typically put an emphasis on score lines and results this early on but the reality is this is the last tune-up before we play the world champs in tournament football. This is about resiliency and game management.

I'm going to do a new game thread, this but then folks will have to help me fill in the details.

Meanwhile, Mbappe may be out, he missed training this morning. Dembele looks like he'll be back. Tchouameni I think it also injured. But if Mbappe is out that may relax us down our right side a bit and we won't be quite so hysterical back there. 

• Unnamed Trialist changed the title to 2nd Friendly announced vs. France, 9 June (see game thread)
19 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm going to do a new game thread, this but then folks will have to help me fill in the details.

Meanwhile, Mbappe may be out, he missed training this morning. Dembele looks like he'll be back. Tchouameni I think it also injured. But if Mbappe is out that may relax us down our right side a bit and we won't be quite so hysterical back there. 

Yeah but regardless France 🇫🇷 are still loaded

10 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I have to say coming back to North American sports semi recently, is there a reason we don't start at the given time so often on this continent?

US linear tv usually has between 15-20 mins of commercials. Canada is max 12 min for sports channels but removed this limit for most other channels in 2009. Western Europe/UK is usually under 12.

So, North American tv wants more time to show commercials. With US media often paying more for sports rights, they also need more commercial time to make the deal a money maker.

They have also added ads on the score bugs. And for NWSL starting this year, CBS/Ion have started to show split screen or full screen commercials during injuries, substitutions and drinks breaks. 

North American tv also believes it is bad form not to have some time allocated to set the scene before a game starts. But now even with a 15-30 min pre-game show, it is more than 50% commercials. And they still won't list the actual start time since they want you to see all the commercials. TSN's Euro & Copa schedule has the match time listed that is 45-60 mins before the actual kick off.

39 minutes ago, red card said:

US linear tv usually has between 15-20 mins of commercials. Canada is max 12 min for sports channels but removed this limit for most other channels in 2009. Western Europe/UK is usually under 12.

So, North American tv wants more time to show commercials. With US media often paying more for sports rights, they also need more commercial time to make the deal a money maker.

They have also added ads on the score bugs. And for NWSL starting this year, CBS/Ion have started to show split screen or full screen commercials during injuries, substitutions and drinks breaks. 

North American tv also believes it is bad form not to have some time allocated to set the scene before a game starts. But now even with a 15-30 min pre-game show, it is more than 50% commercials. And they still won't list the actual start time since they want you to see all the commercials. TSN's Euro & Copa schedule has the match time listed that is 45-60 mins before the actual kick off.

That's interesting but European commercial broadcasters (UK is most of my experience to be fair) like Sky or BT (now TNT) have pre games (often of decent length for big games especially) with commercials but end when the game is supposed to start. 

This is the TV guide web listing for the England game yesterday. The national team is relatively recently on this free-to-air channel - Channel 4.  But it would have been similar on free-to-air ITV for years (different on BBC - no commercials but still a pregame). The kickoff was 7:45, so a 45 minute show with commercials, which felt like a lot if I ever tried to watch.  Point is they still have this and started the actual game at 7:45, which is what all the listings would say.

markup_1000002545.thumb.png.0713787359257c5ed164b94f97d810c3.png