USA vs Canada - Wednesday, March 6th - 7:15pm Pacific / 10:15pm Eastern - San Diego, California

1 minute ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I love Leon (always have) but I can't believe she scored.  I was calling for Fleming and Leon took so long.

Leon didn't take so long. She had to wait for the ref to sort out the Americans who were constantly encroaching.

Bev clearly subscribes to the Herdman “who wants to take one” philosophy for pks. It’s a bad philosophy and it loses shootouts. Pick your shooters before the game. Everyone should know roughly where they sit in the pecking order. Give them the opportunity to mentally prepare for the shot as extra time ticks on. Vibes does not work.

14 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

Bev clearly subscribes to the Herdman “who wants to take one” philosophy for pks. It’s a bad philosophy and it loses shootouts. Pick your shooters before the game...

Having been in that situation albeit at a far less exalted level you can see who is up for it psychologically at the time and who definitely isn't and it's not always what you would have expected before the game started. Unless you are there when it's all unfolding I would be hesitant to second guess.

I'll echo what others have said. Rose was easily our best player today. Snuffed out a lot at the back, and sprung the attack on the goal and the won penalty. I would guess she could have taken a better penalty than we got from everyone other than Quinn (even the one Leon scored to tie the game wasn't a well taken penalty to be honest, but it worked out).

Although I was really upset with Gilles early in the game for the backpasses, especially the one that lead to the goal, I thought she played a lot better after that. It was a no-nonsense kind of night with the way the pitch was, and she won a lot of headers, and of course the penalty late on when it would have been easy to stop the run with the keeper charging out like that. If the 2nd American goal went off her to fall to Smith, it was unlucky more than a mistake. It was really hard to tell, but it looked like the American got it first and redirected it just enough to mess everything up.

The worst thing about losing this game though is that now I kind of have to cheer for USA in the final, because I don't like the idea of a CONMEBOL team being the champions of CONCACAF.

Considering the terrible field conditions undemining the play, I only watched sporadically.  However, defender Rose should be on to bigger things very soon.  Watching live vs Australia at BC Place and in what I saw here, she is a big time talent on the back line.

I had singled Jade Rose for her excellent defensive play, but re-watching the highlights it is also worth noting that both goals came as the result of excellent long balls from Rose.

Edited by jonovision

Actual number not released which means not spectacular enough on an absolute basis.

But P+ does carry quite a bit of women's soccer which means viewership was higher than past Concacaf World Cup/Olympic qualifiers, UEFA World Cup qualifiers/Nations League, NWSL & WSL matches.

Edited by red card

"While the Americans prepare to face No. 1 Brazil in Sunday's final, with $1 million US going to the winner and $500,000 to the runner-up, the Canadian women now return to their clubs with next month's SheBelieves Cup their next international assignment."

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7137001

Did not realize the amount that was on the line...

That could have helped the CSA.