USA vs Canada - Wednesday, March 6th - 7:15pm Pacific / 10:15pm Eastern - San Diego, California

Is it just me or are we kinda dominating this game.  Despite the psychological impact of such a bad goal, it was early.  I won't give up the ghost yet.

But going into the second half does it look like that will be the harder way to go.  It looks like we have the good end now.

USA defenders have adapted well to the conditions - hoof the ball as hard and as high as possible whenever they get a chance.  Canada on the other hand...just like the men vs. Honduras - feels like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football - maybe Lucy won't pull it away this time...

1 minute ago, kacbru said:

Canada on the other hand...just like the men vs. Honduras - feels like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football - maybe Lucy won't pull it away this time...

I saw a Canadian defender do a smart thing.  She pulled the ball back onto her instep and punted the ball in the air instead of through the wet turf.  Much more effective.

5 minutes ago, kacbru said:

USA defenders have adapted well to the conditions - hoof the ball as hard and as high as possible whenever they get a chance.  Canada on the other hand...just like the men vs. Honduras - feels like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football - maybe Lucy won't pull it away this time...

Despite the backpass that resulted in the goal and some other early game bad ideas, I think the women have adapted a lot better than the men did. I feel like in the second half of the men's game we were still seeing them try to dribble through the deepest puddles, and continually trying to attack down the worse side of the field. For a while now we have been seeing a lot of players chipping passes all over the place, even if it's a 10 meter pass with nobody in between.

The Lady Euros start in what, a month from now?  Hands up, who thinks this match is played under UEFA in these conditions?  Didn't think so.

Buckle up.  I'm just getting started.

4 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

The Lady Euros start in what, a month from now?  Hands up, who thinks this match is played under UEFA in these conditions?  Didn't think so.

Buckle up.  I'm just getting started.

I wonder if it was on the east coast, scheduled to start at 7:15 Eastern Time, they might be more willing to wait it out for an hour or two to see what it's like. My guess is that although people on the west coast could deal with the game being postponed a couple hours and still watch it at a somewhat reasonable time, they would lose a lot of their TV audience on the east coast if the game had to start at midnight.

It looked like it stopped raining probably 30 minutes ago or so. Hopefully they can do something at halftime to quicken the draining a bit. Squeegees, paper towels, whatever.

I’ve been looking forward to watching this one for a few days now. Thought if Canada took the game to the US then we would have a decent shout.

Unfortunately, it’s just a joke now. Was always going to be which team would make the first mistake in their own box and it was Canada. Oh well.

43 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

Surprised they're playing in these conditions. Worst water-logging i've seen in a while.

11 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

It's the only explanation for the referee deeming it playable.

No surprise. As @Kent said, CONCACAF allowed the Honduras vs Canada #CanMNT match in June 2022 to go ahead.

This is a similar level of madness.

🌊🌊🌊

2 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Maybe they just had to adhere to the TV schedule

Competitive integrity be damned! 

Exactly.  Yeah I know, welcome to 2024 but damn my eyes, can't we just pretend for a while you can still find merit in sport?

Win, lose, or draw this is a test for Priestman.

If in her post-match presser she doesn't go looking for disciplinary action from CONCACRAP/FIFA for her viscous rant questioning the decision to not delay the kickoff she's not the lass for the job.

Rip them a new one.  Right over the top.  Messi has taken the pitch how many times over the last 20 years, has he ever seen such a thing?

Edited by Cheeta

8 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Competitive integrity be damned! 

Exactly.  Yeah I know, welcome to 2024 but damn my eyes, can't we just pretend for a while you can still find merit in sport?

Merit in sport?  How mid Victorian.