Vancouver Whitecaps - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

19 hours ago, Big_M said:

crepeau blunder to give his former team the game winner

Hard to tell from most replays, but the defender, Zuparic, who replaced McGraw at the half, gets a touch on the ball right before Crepeau. This puts it past Crepeau who committed to the cross. If you see the recent post that Whitecaps put up, it's pretty clear.

5 hours ago, narduch said:

Vancouver are top of the Western Conference 

It's funny because the results are there, but I don't think the team play has been great.  Like, they're top in part because the start of the season has turned out to be fairly favourable and once they start playing better teams I think they'll be in a bit of trouble.  This is the reverse of last year, where I was actually happy with a lot of their play but they couldn't get a result.

Anyway, I'll take the points on the board for sure, but have concerns they'll have trouble against better teams.

18 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

It's funny because the results are there, but I don't think the team play has been great.  Like, they're top in part because the start of the season has turned out to be fairly favourable and once they start playing better teams I think they'll be in a bit of trouble.  This is the reverse of last year, where I was actually happy with a lot of their play but they couldn't get a result.

Anyway, I'll take the points on the board for sure, but have concerns they'll have trouble against better teams.

This, exactly this. But I'll take it as you say.

The roster is better than last season. And some of the same pieces are better. So far, I would not say any existing piece is worse. We have a bit of depth in more positions. We just have to keep tightening up the loose defending, not rely on chance, but of course winning enables you to spend training sessions on that sort of thing. 

We have the best offence after Miami, best defense after Cincy and Atlanta, best GD. All little details I like. 

And another thing: they are getting very good crowds out, are going to sell out for Messi in a month, there is a good vibe. Some sort of laughed at me but I really do think the Canucks on a roll helps the overall mood, and fans want to see Vancouver teams win (which is not usually our thing).

24 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

yeah the xG models have swung the other way basically lol. last year their metrics were top 3 in the west but they underperformed them (mostly creating a lot of chances but not finishing). this year their metrics are about 5th/6th but their finishing is massively overperforming. i will say that even if there's a drop off, having sam/ali in the team from the start of matches going forward should help with limiting it

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

And another thing: they are getting very good crowds out, are going to sell out for Messi in a month, there is a good vibe. Some sort of laughed at me but I really do think the Canucks on a roll helps the overall mood, and fans want to see Vancouver teams win (which is not usually our thing).

24,678 in attendance last night, 3rd crowd this season over 24k and 6th straight over 22k.  We know season tickets are up to 16k, and I wondered how many people would attend most games, how many would just show up for Messi, and what regular attendance would be.  So far, people seem to be showing up and enjoying themselves.  This game wasn't part of the "4 pack" they sold either, which boosted the home opener attendance.

17 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The roster is better than last season. And some of the same pieces are better. So far, I would not say any existing piece is worse. We have a bit of depth in more positions. We just have to keep tightening up the loose defending, not rely on chance, but of course winning enables you to spend training sessions on that sort of thing. 

You can also enter the transfer market from a position of strength in the summer.  You're not "desperate" to add a piece to change your season.  And of course, it's easier to convince a player to join a good club than a poor one.

15 minutes ago, saladroit said:

yeah the xG models have swung the other way basically lol. last year their metrics were top 3 in the west but they underperformed them (mostly creating a lot of chances but not finishing). this year their metrics are about 5th/6th but their finishing is massively overperforming. i will say that even if there's a drop off, having sam/ali in the team from the start of matches going forward should help with limiting it

I'll be interested to see how they use Adekugbe once he's fully healthy, because I'm not really sure how he fits in the current formation.  Honestly, still not a fan of the 3-4-3.  Ahmed changes how they play - he's the one player in the midfield who's really willing to challenge someone one on one and not just pass it off

22 hours ago, Watchmen said:

24,678 in attendance last night, 3rd crowd this season over 24k and 6th straight over 22k.  We know season tickets are up to 16k, and I wondered how many people would attend most games, how many would just show up for Messi, and what regular attendance would be.  So far, people seem to be showing up and enjoying themselves.  This game wasn't part of the "4 pack" they sold either, which boosted the home opener attendance.

Really good crowd.  I was sitting near a  TFC supporters and the casual fans around me were wondering why a number of their chants featured "f*ck Montreal."

Back to the game itself, this is a "press, cause a turnover up top or in midfield, and  counterattack side" and it works much better when Kreilach is not up top.  I thought Schöpf had a really good game.  Utvik got the start ahead of Blackmon and did the job, while Laborda has been a real turnaround from last season with his play.

I agree with @Watchmen in that the rubber meets the road when playing some of the upper echelon sides in the league. 

Edited by BearcatSA

5 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I'll be interested to see how they use Adekugbe once he's fully healthy, because I'm not really sure how he fits in the current formation.  Honestly, still not a fan of the 3-4-3.  Ahmed changes how they play - he's the one player in the midfield who's really willing to challenge someone one on one and not just pass it off

i think sam is probably the LWB with ahmed at RWB. but vanni might do some galaxy brain inverted fullbacks stuff ala city/spurs sometimes with them so who knows! there's pros and cons to the 3-4-3, on one hand you cede midfield control which could be exploited by better teams. the galaxy with that brugman/puig/delgado trio will be a huge test of this. but on the other hand, you get another attacker on the field and we saw the limits of the 3-5-2 against lafc in the playoffs without having a tertiary threat beyond gauld/white. fafa is basically the perfect profile for the third option in the formation (stretches lines with his speed, creates more space for the other 2 up top, presses very well), though given his age and overperforming his typical level by this much is probably unsustainable... i wouldn't mind using the 3rd DP spot on another pacey guy who can play in the 3 up top (budget version of a paintsil or bouanga basically) to supercharge the attack even more while still having a fantastic rotation/supersub option in fafa.

with the u22/DP rules getting adjusted in the summer window, they wouldn't be limited to a max TAM level DP either. so if caicedo leaves on a permanent transfer in the summer, they should also have two u22 spots to play with. i'd use one on a RWB to integrate ahead of probably selling ali ahmed in the winter. and as an aside, they should probably think about flipping javain brown to free up an international spot and get some $ instead of losing him for free with his contract up at the end of the year

53 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Back to the game itself, this is a "press, cause a turnover up top or in midfield, and  counterattack side" and it works much better when Kreilach is not up top.  I thought Schöpf had a really good game.  Utvik got the start ahead of Blackmon and did the job, while Laborda has been a real turnaround from last season with his play.

It also works when you have the lead, but not when you're chasing the game.  They've scored really early the last two weeks, which has then helped them out.

Second half, there was way too many "long ball over the top and hope White or Gauld run on to it" for me.  Granted, that's how Gauld scored, but it also lead to a lot of needless/easy turnovers.

51 minutes ago, saladroit said:

i think sam is probably the LWB with ahmed at RWB. but vanni might do some galaxy brain inverted fullbacks stuff ala city/spurs sometimes with them so who knows!

I mean, this is probably what should happen if they're going to stick with this formation.  Except Vanni loves Schopf, and I don't think he wants to drop Vite either (if you moved Schopf inside).

54 minutes ago, saladroit said:

but on the other hand, you get another attacker on the field and we saw the limits of the 3-5-2 against lafc in the playoffs without having a tertiary threat beyond gauld/white.

I think some of that was on them not having a true 3rd DP.  Cordova didn't work out, and while they added more players in the summer they didn't really address another striker, unless you want to count Hoillett.

22 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

It also works when you have the lead, but not when you're chasing the game.  They've scored really early the last two weeks, which has then helped them out.

They also scored early first vs RSL at home and proceeded to get outplayed in a loss.

The guy who makes things tick with their press and counter is Cubas.  Teams that can't break lines or who are not super comfortable in possession receiving the ball from a deep lying player are fresh meat for the "Piranha."   He is very good at his job.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Does Supporter's Shield go automatically, even if it is a Canadian club?

I did not know that, I thought it was only for US teams.

Yes it does.

It was changed when they expanded the format.

Canada could have as many as 6 teams in for one year.

18 hours ago, narduch said:

If Whitecaps can keep this up there may be 4 Canadian teams in CCC next year

Lets not get carried away. Early days. And as others have said...the results have been there but I still don't think the performances have been overly impressive.

2 hours ago, red card said:

Vanni takes a jab at Canadian media and especially OneSoccer. Right after this Vanni comment …Next question is from Alexandre Gangué-Ruzic of OneSoccer.

I'm not a fan of this sort of stuff. Just let your play do the talking. Coverage from Toronto based media is always going to be slanted. That is just a fact of life.

2 hours ago, masster said:

I'm not a fan of this sort of stuff. Just let your play do the talking. Coverage from Toronto based media is always going to be slanted. That is just a fact of life.

I agree, just play and get the results, Vancouver used to be a team that did just that (NASL, USL). 

And especially since Vancouver has just started winning something, even if the Voyageurs Cup, just now. Vanni recognizes it in fact, 2 or three years of "dominance" he claims. Even though Montreal was better in MLS just two years ago. 

Still, when a One Soccer play by play guy says you can see the Rockies from the field where VFC play, it's a bit ridiculous. They are clued out about the very league they specialize in. There is really no evidence most of the soccer media in Toronto even know where Pacific or VFC play.