Vancouver Whitecaps - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

That was a disastrous match for the Whitecaps, I watched most of it, and they were played off the field. The impatient build ups and losing the ball in possession was constant, the mids especially were a mess with distribution. RSL were far more intense, even though they don't have great talent.

We should not have had so many problems, with Gauld behind two strikers, more or less, but it seems we were overextended, rushing constantly.

I think we were outplayed the entire match, except for very short stints. 

So here you have a team that with a win could have gone top of MLS, but was really poor in so many aspects of the game. That is a mark against MLS, sorry to say--normally I am motivated to go watch the Caps summers, a few matches, but if that is going to be it, a waste of money.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That was a disastrous match for the Whitecaps, I watched most of it, and they were played off the field. The impatient build ups and losing the ball in possession was constant, the mids especially were a mess with distribution. RSL were far more intense, even though they don't have great talent.

We should not have had so many problems, with Gauld behind two strikers, more or less, but it seems we were overextended, rushing constantly.

So here you have a team that with a win could have gone top of MLS, but was really poor in so many aspects of the game. That is a mark against MLS, sorry to say--normally I am motivated to go watch the Caps summers, a few matches, but if that is going to be it, a waste of money.

RSL picked on Raposo relentlessly. Everything down his side, subs made and Raposo switched sides and then everything down that side. His lack of urgency defensively is shocking. The winning goal he watched a 50 yard ball loft across, slowly jogs over in the general direction of his guy, etc. He is not a wingback. Should have been yanked at half or shortly thereafter. 

As a general observation, the Caps aren’t deep enough. Schopf and Kreilach need to go in July and at least 3 new players need to come in. 

1 hour ago, Soro17 said:

RSL picked on Raposo relentlessly. Everything down his side, subs made and Raposo switched sides and then everything down that side. His lack of urgency defensively is shocking. The winning goal he watched a 50 yard ball loft across, slowly jogs over in the general direction of his guy, etc. He is not a wingback. Should have been yanked at half or shortly thereafter. 

As a general observation, the Caps aren’t deep enough. Schopf and Kreilach need to go in July and at least 3 new players need to come in. 

But you can't always single one guy, and especially not an outside player left alone to his own wits. Not just the goal, the general scenario: the other team wins possession, there is a transition, a few passes down one side, then because there is no pressure, a long ball in diagonal--and what do you see, as you say: the fullback or wingback barely arriving to his spot and not set; but the mid or whoever should support that, is not even on the screen, the mid, in 8-10 seconds, has yet to react to position himself defensively. Over and over again.

What really got me is how there were garbage balls from mids, with no reason to rush, sent into nobody, forcing the Caps into another 90 second sequence of defending a team that looked far more skilled and better coached.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

But you can't always single one guy, and especially not an outside player left alone to his own wits. Not just the goal, the general scenario: the other team wins possession, there is a transition, a few passes down one side, then because there is no pressure, a long ball in diagonal--and what do you see, as you say: the fullback or wingback barely arriving to his spot and not set; but the mid or whoever should support that, is not even on the screen, the mid, in 8-10 seconds, has yet to react to position himself defensively. Over and over again.

What really got me is how there were garbage balls from mids, with no reason to rush, sent into nobody, forcing the Caps into another 90 second sequence of defending a team that looked far more skilled and better coached.

Fair enough, but I like to single out one guy - always have, always will. 

But yes, the midfield was very poor. Flashes of Vagenas and Thorrington out there. 

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Vanni is a poor manager.  He can't help himself: Schuster brings in a new player for depth and instead of sticking with his formation that worked, he MUST change it.  Kreilach was an interesting depth player, a player to sub for White (either mid-game or if White's injured).  But no, Vanni moved to a 3-4-3.  It's worked for 1 game, and that 1 game was when they played Picault instead of Kreilach.  Now in addition to not scoring, they're getting bossed in midfield.  Granted for this game Cubas was away on international duty, and that was a part of it.  But they went with Vite and Schopf in the midfield, neither of whom is great defensively or enough of a threat offensively.  And Ahmed started on the bench, despite likely being in a position to start (though not go the full 90).

Anyway, Vanni's history is that he'll spend the first 3 months make poor decisions before admitting that his new method didn't work, at which point he switches back to one that did and the Whitecaps improve dramatically.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Didn't watch, too late. Odd this team is one of three in MLS at 2 points a game. If they sort out some details it could go well.

Attendance looks good.

24,600.  And that's the result they need in front of that crowd.  Too often they've wilted when the attendance is higher (previous 4 games were mostly mid-to-high 20s, and they had no wins).

I'm not a fan of the current 3-4-3 formation, even with today's result.  Far too passive at times, too much recycling of the ball.

Picault does look like a find though.  Had heard that some of his numbers last year might be the result of Nashville's system.  Certainly looks that way.

4 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

24,600.  And that's the result they need in front of that crowd.  Too often they've wilted when the attendance is higher (previous 4 games were mostly mid-to-high 20s, and they had no wins).

I'm not a fan of the current 3-4-3 formation, even with today's result.  Far too passive at times, too much recycling of the ball.

Picault does look like a find though.  Had heard that some of his numbers last year might be the result of Nashville's system.  Certainly looks that way.

Aren't they trying to be a Nashville style of team?

Unfortunately, Kreilach looks like a square peg in a round hole as a starter in this system.  On the other hand, he would be a handy guy off the bench for the final 20 of  a match.  I was hoping that was the original intention.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Aren't they trying to be a Nashville style of team?

I don't think that was the intent.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Unfortunately, Kreilach looks like a square peg in a round hole as a starter in this system.  On the other hand, he would be a handy guy off the bench for the final 20 of  a match.  I was hoping that was the original intention.

Agreed, and that's the role I assumed they signed him for. Final 20, occasional starter when White is injured (like today). Not "guaranteed starter" the way Vanni seems to think.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think that was the intent.

What management intends and says for public consumption has several times been significantly different from what they actually do on the field.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

What management intends and says for public consumption has several times been significantly different from what they actually do on the field.

I have found that management has on a number of occasions made moves to enhance the system Vanni is playing, only for Vanni to change his mind and change to something different once new players are in.