OQ: Canada vs Jamaica - Tuesday, September 26th - 7pm Eastern / 4pm Pacific - Toronto

The Christine Sinclair Question is a big one heading to Paris: I have a hard time envisioning her in a bigger role than she played tonight. I thought she was effective but the moments where her instincts and vision are held back by her lack of quickness and lack of sharpness are becoming more and more frequent.

Obviously she belongs on the team, but should she be the first choice off the bench if Canada is chasing a game late? Tough call.

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

The Christine Sinclair Question is a big one heading to Paris: I have a hard time envisioning her in a bigger role than she played tonight. I thought she was effective but the moments where her instincts and vision are held back by her lack of quickness and lack of sharpness are becoming more and more frequent.

Obviously she belongs on the team, but should she be the first choice off the bench if Canada is chasing a game late? Tough call.

For me this is Atiba Part 2.

Great game, and great crowd by the time everyone was in the stadium. I wasn't at the game. Did people just show up late or were there problems/huge lines getting into the stadium? It looked more than half empty still 10 or 15 minutes into the game.

On the Sinclair note, when the team was celebrating on the field after the game she looked quite upset. Really looked like she knew it was her last game, or maybe last home game, or something like that. I wonder if she doesn't want the spotlight, so will announce her retirement when she has already played her last game, as opposed to letting us know that a certain game or tournament will be her last.

Great result from both matches, I especially liked Huitema aggressive play the moment she stepped onto the pitch. Collins adds depth to the squad. Disappointed with Jade Rose as she kept coughing up the ball. Priestman nailed it with the lineup and subs with exception of Sinclair but I understand the reason. Smith shows some spark in the few minutes she played. Leon deserved every minute. ahh Lawrence in the right spot.

Jamaica did advance to the round of 16 but can't score much.

All 31 min of audio from the post game press conferences and mix zone after the Canada vs Jamaica Women's Olympic qualifier in Toronto. Coaches Lorne Donaldson and Bev Priestman and players Shelina Zadorsky, Adriana Leon, & Cloe Lacasse.

On 9/28/2023 at 1:51 AM, rkomar said:

Thanks for sharing your recordings!  Thanks also for asking the Jamaican coach some questions; it was good to hear even a little bit of his personality come through.

Yeah one question from 50 people in there would have been insulting.  Although I have heard some questions over the years like "How great are the Canadian players?"  

With the majority of tickets priced between $15-48, it was priced to maximize vibes rather than revenue/profit.

It can be justified given the team underwhelmed in Australia and given the reputational body blows the federation has suffered in the past year. They also avoided all the people who complained about the high ticket prices and less than 14k attendance for last spring's Honduras Nations League match. Though, none of them including from the media/podcasters have now mentioned that the revenue generated from both matches is relatively close as nearly all Honduras tickets sold were between $50-225. Half the stadium was also closed off which would have meant lower costs than for last Tuesday's match.

When the men also played Jamaica last year in WCQ, the majority of tickets were priced much higher at between $50-125 with only 90 less in attendance.

For the whole window, given training in 3 countries, matches in 2 countries and likely limited Concacaf support, hopefully they generated enough revenue to cover all the costs.