2024 Voyageurs Cup

I don't like the proposal. But I am getting confused by most of the posts above. What was wrong with last year's format? And where are the advantages given to CPL for the current proposal? Is it the Forge bye or is there more that I am missing?

Anyways, I don't like the proposal because I think there should be a draw. I don't like designer match ups. It also doesn't make me feel great about the CPL's situation. We had the Media Pro news which makes me worry (more than normal) about the financial situation of the league, and now we hear this proposal whose main goal seems like it is to cut costs.

4 minutes ago, Kent said:

I don't like the proposal. But I am getting confused by most of the posts above. What was wrong with last year's format? And where are the advantages given to CPL for the current proposal? Is it the Forge bye or is there more that I am missing?

Anyways, I don't like the proposal because I think there should be a draw. I don't like designer match ups. It also doesn't make me feel great about the CPL's situation. We had the Media Pro news which makes me worry (more than normal) about the financial situation of the league, and now we hear this proposal whose main goal seems like it is to cut costs.

The big issue last year was that it started too early, in order to appease the 3 MLS clubs.

I don't really like this proposal either. I'd rather they keep the draw 

44 minutes ago, narduch said:

The big issue last year was that it started too early, in order to appease the 3 MLS clubs.

I don't really like this proposal either. I'd rather they keep the draw 

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten about that, but yeah that was disappointing. Leagues Cup priority is tough to swallow.

8 hours ago, Kent said:

On top of the byes they also get to always play at home and determine the match-ups, at least in first round and perhaps more.

9 minutes ago, phil03 said:

On top of the byes they also get to always play at home and determine the match-ups, at least in first round and perhaps more.

This isn't true.

They have been drawing the home teams the past few years now

1 hour ago, phil03 said:

It's bye, singular, not byes. And as narduch mentioned, there is no mention of CPL always hosting at all in the report.

https://truenorthfoot.ca/article?id=37

"These are the matches that the CPL has offered:

NOTE: NO HOME/AWAY TEAMS HAVE BEEN SET YET

- York United vs. Simcoe County Rovers
- Vancouver FC vs. Victoria Highlanders
- Halifax Wanderers vs. CF Montréal
- St-Laurent vs. Toronto FC"

Also, with the (unconfirmed) belief that they want 2 legs in the 2nd round, that would obviously mean CPL teams aren't the sole hosts.

I do agree with you about the bye though, since last year they went with the winner and finalists of the previous tournament to determine byes. No point in changing it and being inconsistent. As long as the number of the teams are the same, they don't need to mess with who gets byes.

The League 1 clubs will not or cannot host games because of their home field not being up to standard (eg Simcoe County Rovers) or because they are not willing or able to pay for the away team to travel to them as required under the competition rules (remember TSS Rovers had to pay Valour’s travel costs last season).  In addition to geography, the draw has some artificialities anyways.  But I still do not like the proposal.

56 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

The League 1 clubs will not or cannot host games 

Some L1 clubs won't but others have very successfully hosted games in the past.  I don't see a reason to preemptively rule them out.

I should also add that we will be getting more L1 clubs in future years.  It's looking like we'll eventually have six.  So they will need to figure out the hosting problems faced by the L1 sides.

Edited by Kingston

28 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Some L1 clubs won't but others have very successfully hosted games in the past.  I don't see a reason to preemptively rule them out.

I should also add that we will be getting more L1 clubs in future years.  It's looking like we'll eventually have six.  So they will need to figure out the hosting problems faced by the L1 sides.

I should have said that I am not ruling them out but the requirements to host a Vs Cup game is quite onerous.  

I find it's harder to build history for something when you're constantly changing the format. There's nothing wrong with having a draw, even if the first round is regional to a certain extent. Stick with the single elimination, which I've found much more enjoyable/interesting. No problem with shifting the start date in to May to allow more areas to host.

10 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I find it's harder to build history for something when you're constantly changing the format. There's nothing wrong with having a draw, even if the first round is regional to a certain extent. Stick with the single elimination, which I've found much more enjoyable/interesting. No problem with shifting the start date in to May to allow more areas to host.

I think the format will settle down long term when we don't have such a constant flux in the number of teams.  Say in ten years when all the L1 leagues are in place and the CPL has "finished" with expansion so we have a consistent number of entries each year.

I'm good with a regional tilt in the early going.  It adds a rivalry flavour to the games, especially as those are the ones most likely to have L1 teams.

I think fixture congestion will prevent it, but I prefer two leg rounds so that everyone gets a home game.  Partly because it is more fair but mostly because what fans want to do is see their team play.

5 minutes ago, Kingston said:

I think the format will settle down long term when we don't have such a constant flux in the number of teams.  Say in ten years when all the L1 leagues are in place and the CPL has "finished" with expansion so we have a consistent number of entries each year.

I'm good with a regional tilt in the early going.  It adds a rivalry flavour to the games, especially as those are the ones most likely to have L1 teams.

I think fixture congestion will prevent it, but I prefer two leg rounds so that everyone gets a home game.  Partly because it is more fair but mostly because what fans want to do is see their team play.

I get that some of the issue is constantly adding teams (I don't think that's a problem, as I like adding more teams), but I think its better to stick with the rough format each year (have a draw, single leg). I know people want to see their team, but at the same time a single leg makes it more of an event and limits some fixture congestion (which was a problem even before Leagues Cup).

15 hours ago, narduch said:

This isn't true.

They have been drawing the home teams the past few years now

I meant under this proposal.

14 hours ago, Kent said:

It's bye, singular, not byes. And as narduch mentioned, there is no mention of CPL always hosting at all in the report.

"These are the matches that the CPL has offered:

NOTE: NO HOME/AWAY TEAMS HAVE BEEN SET YET

- York United vs. Simcoe County Rovers
- Vancouver FC vs. Victoria Highlanders
- Halifax Wanderers vs. CF Montréal
- St-Laurent vs. Toronto FC"

Also, with the (unconfirmed) belief that they want 2 legs in the 2nd round, that would obviously mean CPL teams aren't the sole hosts.

I do agree with you about the bye though, since last year they went with the winner and finalists of the previous tournament to determine byes. No point in changing it and being inconsistent. As long as the number of the teams are the same, they don't need to mess with who gets byes.

My general train of thoughts was that a) the proposal explicitly said no draw so the usual way to determine who host is out of the window, b) under this proposal they basically gave themselves the right to replace said draw by determining the matchups, c) the whole thing is presented as a means to save travel cost, which is way more of an issue for them then MLS clubs, and hosting might be a money losing excercise for League1 clubs and d) their claim for a bye for Forge does show they are willing to ask for the tournament to be reorganized in ways that don't have a rationale beyond that it would be good for them, I feel there is an awful lot of circumstances to lead one to believe that the plan would be to push for CPL clubs to always host.

You are right they haven't openly said so yet though, and therefore I might have jumped the gun in that regard.

8 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I think I'm also concerned about the event this year even being broadcast. I'm sure they'll figure out the final, but it's admittedly further down the priority list for CSB to sort out (behind NT games and the CPL).

I am actually not too stressed in that regard. If they short out broadcasting the CPL games, and I do believe its going to happen, they will have the means to broadcast can champ games in CPL stadiums and if they offer the ones in MLS stadiums up for anyone who want them ods are TSN/RDS would take them up on it, as they have negociated with Apple to broadcast some of the games from the MLS clubs and they could probably figure something out to lease their (Apple's) equipment for these games.

The one possibility that might get tricky is off the league ones teams are hosting but hey, if they could make it work when TSS Rovers was hosting Valour despite usually not filming there I see no reason why they couldn't do it again in similar circumstances...

Edited by phil03

• 2 weeks later...

Apropos of nothing, but I refereed a match in the first round of the Australia Cup today....two teams from the effective 8th tier of Australian football. This round included all teams from Victoria in the 7th, 8th, and 9th tiers, plus a bunch of affiliated regional clubs. There are 2 rounds with these clubs, then the 5th and 6th tiers join. Eventually, all NPL (2nd to 4th tiers) join, and then the A League clubs. The later rounds are televised live, nationally.

After hearing Montagliani describe the vision of Concacaf's Football First. And then hearing Dino Rossi say he believes in the Football First vision but some people in Canadian soccer aren't putting football first. I really hope what I think might be going on isn't going on

On 2/16/2024 at 9:20 PM, Kingston said:

Odd.  It shouldn't be that difficult for the CSA.

Suspect there may still be a dispute behind the scenes between the CanPL and MLS entrants over this year's format.

...MLS teams do not approve of this proposal

The MLS teams didn't approve this proposal. For Montreal, it's expected. It has usually been the runner-up of the past edition who would get a bye along with the champion, but the CPL wants to give the CPL champion a bye instead.

Canada Soccer is reviewing the proposal

Nothing is set yet. Nothing has been signed. Canada Soccer is still reviewing the proposal.

A draw was supposed to be held in February, but if CSA approves this proposal, there won't be one.

Then there's the whole question of whether there is going to be a broadcaster.