2024 Voyageurs Cup

13 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'd suggest that a player from the Highlanders is not likely going to be the most reliable source of information about what actually happened.

True, but for him to blame the CSB specifically implies he has some information.  Otherwise, he'd have no reason to complain about them as opposed to, say, the team making a decision on its own.

6 minutes ago, Kingston said:

True, but for him to blame the CSB specifically implies he has some information.  Otherwise, he'd have no reason to complain about them as opposed to, say, the team making a decision on its own.

I don't think so.

The CSB has become a fairly lazy boogeyman for critics.

8 hours ago, Kingston said:

From Times-Colonist source, Highlanders pulled out because the model and fee structure weren't satisfactory. It would have cost them up to $15k more to operate. Other L1BC teams have associated youth systems, or are affiliated with university/college programs that could absorb that fee increase. The CSB believes it can bring in a more seamless approach with access to bigger, national sources of revenue.

Other L1BC insiders say it was 5k increase for men's team and 5k increase for women's team. 

Given the other L1BC clubs paid up, Highlanders didn't have the revenue levers to pull and/or didn't want to. With L1BC under CSB, their non-profit model isn't aligned, can't be scaled up and financially unambitious.

You could say CSB could have been easier on them by letting them play in Voyageurs Cup and another year in the league. Then, next year, if there is a L2/L3BC, the Highlanders can be moved over.

https://www.timescolonist.com/sports/highlanders-cease-soccer-operations-in-league1-bc-8577812 

32 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Hearing that Pacific (and a few other CPL owners) are pushing for a bye in the first round rather than having to play TSS. Don't want to pick up the travel costs or play the extra game.

Is it not part of the season ticket package though or have CanPL clubs stopped guaranteeing 15 home games in that context?

7 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Is it not part of the season ticket package though or have CanPL clubs stopped guaranteeing 15 home games in that context?

But if they advance they still get another home game 

40 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

They don't want to pay the travel.

Perhaps i'm out of the loop - are they responsible for covering travel costs for TSS? The match is at Langford regardless.

Also just now realizing Telus picked up the sponsorship for this event. Maybe i'm living under a rock.

Edited by Mihairokov

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

That took way too long to what should have been a fairly straight forward decision.

Had to be Pacific trying to get out of playing the game and paying for TSS travel to the island, like a bus and some ferry tickets really were going to cost all that much, getting a first round bye. Had to be that. 

Does anybody know of players that have played for a tier 3 team in the Voyageurs Cup and gone on to play for an MLS or better team? I know Ryan Raposo and Alistair Johnston played for Vaughan in 2019 against Wanderers. Any other examples? Just curious.

48 minutes ago, Kent said:

Does anybody know of players that have played for a tier 3 team in the Voyageurs Cup and gone on to play for an MLS or better team? I know Ryan Raposo and Alistair Johnston played for Vaughan in 2019 against Wanderers. Any other examples? Just curious.

Mo Farsi was on the Blainville team that faced York 9 in 2019