2024 Voyageurs Cup

17 hours ago, Kent said:

I feel like if MLS teams don't like how busy the schedule is, the simple solution is to get rid of their stupid cash grab cup.

I'm not a Leagues Cup fan but, given that MLS shuts down the regular season for the tournament, it doesn't really contribute to fixture congestion.  The MLS teams play a similar (or lower if they go out early) number of games per week during that time frame as they would anyway.

2 hours ago, Kingston said:

I'm not a Leagues Cup fan but, given that MLS shuts down the regular season for the tournament, it doesn't really contribute to fixture congestion.  The MLS teams play a similar (or lower if they go out early) number of games per week during that time frame as they would anyway.

Except instead of breaking from the season for that month they could spread out their regular season games more so that they have fewer games around Voyageurs Cup and US Open Cup games.

On 4/2/2024 at 4:47 PM, Kent said:

I feel like if MLS teams don't like how busy the schedule is, the simple solution is to get rid of their stupid cash grab cup.

That competition is going nowhere, as much as we like to romanticize about sports , sports is a business and business are always trying to find ways of making money . It is what it is , if the CPL in the future was presented with a new competition where it thought it could become a new revenue stream they would jump at it even if it meant crowding  the schedule . 

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

That competition is going nowhere, as much as we like to romanticize about sports , sports is a business and business are always trying to find ways of making money . It is what it is , if the CPL in the future was presented with a new competition where it thought it could become a new revenue stream they would jump at it even if it meant crowding  the schedule . 

Pretty much this. 

Like, I am an Impact first fan when it come to clubs but I don't have any issue accepting that the Leagues Cup is responsible for most of the fixture congestion. I'll still watch it, since I paid for the package, but I really don't care much for it and I'll argue it isn't that popular among most MLS fans in any case.

The one thing I'll say is that its unfair to say its an MLS thing. Trying to come up with some random concept competition they think will make money for them and whining about their cup competitions because they now have created fixture congestion is a fairly widespread phenomenon. 

To just take two examples fairly close to us:

-Mexico has essentially killed its cup competition. Sure, it's technically on hiatus but after like five years? It isn't coming up. They have done what MLS hasn't dared explicitely state, and which arguably it probably doesn't even want to do since some of their clubs actually do like the US Open and killing it rather then turning it defacto optional would annoy them.

-The number 1 reason the CONCACAF League is no longer a thing, which IMO was for the worse for the CPL, wasn't to give more spots to MLS or LigaMx, and even less because CPL wanted some spots. It was because the Central American clubs wanted to have a CONCACAF League with lower travel costs instead of the real thing with the Central American Cup.

For all the messy stuff in our Soccer scene that's actually something to be thankful for: we have no trace of that kind of mess in our system yet.

2 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Yeah, I know it's not going anywhere. As long as they are selling tickets, it will keep going. I just hate it as a competition. I hate it because it is trying to undermine the Champions League, and I hate it because they unapologetically favour the MLS teams with them hosting all games. Throw in that all of a sudden now that MLS teams are busy with it, they can't be bothered to play competitions with actual history and that actually make competitive sense (US Open Cup) and I just really can't stand it.

So although I know it's going nowhere, I still like to complain about it when I get a chance. And I'll mostly boycot it. I can't remember if I watched any games last year or not. I definitely didn't watch early on, might have watched the final or something though.

"Despite our best efforts over the past 2-months we have been unable to reach an agreement with the new owners of League1BC that would allow us to carry on the Victoria Highlanders and still maintain our mission of providing a volunteer driven, not-for-profit community team for women and men looking to take their next step in soccer."

Does "the new owners of League1BC" mean CSB/CPL? They are talking about being volunteer driven. Does that mean League1BC/CSB/CPL is mandating certain roles in the club should be paid, but they aren't on the Highlanders and they don't think they can afford to make them paid?

Very disappointing that they are dropping out, in particular when they had qualified for the Voyageurs Cup. I was hoping the Voyageurs Cup could be a cash injection for these L1C clubs and make them stronger.

It is incredibly naive to think that Voyageurs Cup gives League1 clubs a boost. They may pop a big crowd for a one off game, but that's it.

Most League1 clubs want to be nothing more than the top of a youth club's pyramid. Any more money required and clubs either can't afford to or don't want to spend it.

What surprises me is bus leagues losing clubs. I thought they were the magical solution to all things Canadian soccer....

Edited by shermanator

Vancouver Island to the mainland is a bitch. The costs for Island teams vs everyone else is night and day. I'm sure they can just continue doing what they do but in the VISL. Maybe the Solution is League1VI

Edited by SpursFlu

43 minutes ago, shermanator said:

It is incredibly naive to think that Voyageurs Cup gives League1 clubs a boost. They may pop a big crowd for a one off game, but that's it.

That's all I was really thinking. I don't expect it in the near term to have any significant impact on the size of crowds for games outside the Voyageurs Cup, but without knowing how the financials work for home/away teams, I hoped that there could be a 1 time cash injection either in drawing a larger than normal crowd at home, or for getting a share of the gate in an away game against a team that draws bigger crowds. Last year the info came out that the home teams apparently have to pay the away team's expenses, which makes a home game a burden, which is dissappointing.

And when I mentioned making the teams stronger, I thought with the small budgets these teams are on, a single game injection even of a few thousand dollars could help things out. And being involved in this competition (or even just the chance of being involved) may help encourage the occasional player to choose to play in L1C that wouldn't otherwise. That's all.

4 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Have heard the spot may go to another L1 club. Would assume that's TSS.

However, a trusted source with knowledge of the situation confirmed to Northern Tribune that there are contingencies in place to ensure that League1 BC will still be represented in Canadian Championship, with the spot expected to go to the next best team in the 2023 regular season, the TSS Rovers.

https://northerntribune.ca/victoria-highlanders-fold-league1-bc-canadian-championship/

This is a quote from a Highlanders player in a Canadian Soccer Daily article:

“Shame on you, CSB. The berth in the Canadian Championship that we fought for and earned and the chance to play with friends in my hometown, you made not possible for a little extra cash,” said Highlanders forward Michael Henman on Instagram. 

It does imply that it is a behind the scenes money thing as opposed to, say, the cost of travel to the mainland.

10 hours ago, Kingston said:

This is a quote from a Highlanders player in a Canadian Soccer Daily article:

“Shame on you, CSB. The berth in the Canadian Championship that we fought for and earned and the chance to play with friends in my hometown, you made not possible for a little extra cash,” said Highlanders forward Michael Henman on Instagram. 

It does imply that it is a behind the scenes money thing as opposed to, say, the cost of travel to the mainland.

I'd suggest that a player from the Highlanders is not likely going to be the most reliable source of information about what actually happened.

44 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'd suggest that a player from the Highlanders is not likely going to be the most reliable source of information about what actually happened.

I think we can all understand his frustration (being denied the opportunity to play in the Cup), but yeah I'm sure he's not privy to all the information.