Niko Sigur

nolando

Screenshot_20230422_111216_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b2ea3c8756af9a186eaf147d73e74afe.jpg

(screengrab above from his York U profile from 2021: https://yorkulions.ca/sports/mens-soccer/roster/niko-sigur/9221)

Born in Burnaby, 2003. Mountain and Whitecaps as a youth. Provincial  High School Champion with Notre Dame. Moved to Ontario and played for Vaughn and York U before making the move to Europe.

First team debut, at RB, for Hajduk Spilt April 22 2023.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/niko-sigur/profil/spieler/1045375

Edited by nolando

18 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

This is great!

Always skeptical about these players who just show up out of nowhere and right onto a first team at a good level. I.e. Di Chiara or Hemati. But hope this one turns out better! 

Well, to be fair, he's played 19 times for their U19s over the past year. Perhaps a sleeper story and just not on most people's radar because he's not in England or playing lower league in Italy or somewhere.

31 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Good to see one for the future hopefully,  was hoping he was a center back but once again another wide defender it seems . However , good luck to this kid only 20 so nice too see .

Still a teenager, actually, and apparently a midfielder by trade.

52 minutes ago, phresh said:

Great stuff. Hajduk will play AZ Alkmaar in the UEFA youth league final two days from now, so it’ll be interesting to see if he plays then as well.

I do not think he is registered to play in the youth league.  As far as I can tell, he has only played with the U19 in Croatian league matches.  

37 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

This is great!

Always skeptical about these players who just show up out of nowhere and right onto a first team at a good level. I.e. Di Chiara or Hemati. But hope this one turns out better! 

I have watched a few Hajduk Split U19 matches this season and he looked like a fast, creative player.

13 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

Davies, Adekugbe, Laryea, Johnston, Farsi, Abzi, JMR, Raposo, ZBG, Petrasso now this kid damn we have a lot of full backs, hopefully he can keep getting games and would definitely warrant a gold cup call up maybe even nations league if he impress enough.

There was a time when we had none. Which is what led to the back 3. Then suddenly there were so many. Bassong. Godinho. Cordova. Corbin-Ong. Remember all of their names.

Edited by Wingback6

3 hours ago, Wingback6 said:

There was a time when we had none. Which is what led to the back 3. Then suddenly there were so many. Bassong. Godinho. Cordova. Corbin-Ong. Remember all of their names.

About 3-4 years ago we really didn’t have any depth at FB and especially RB.

Laryea was a midfielder at the time and we had Adekugbe for LB but he was injured and really hadn’t emerged yet.  We had a few extra CB’s so the back 3.

Then Johnston emerged and immediately seized the RB spot, starting I think 25 straight games.

Laryea and Adekugbe emerged and now all these other players are coming up.  Suddenly FB is our deepest position probably.

54 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

About 3-4 years ago we really didn’t have any depth at FB and especially RB.

Laryea was a midfielder at the time and we had Adekugbe for LB but he was injured and really hadn’t emerged yet.  We had a few extra CB’s so the back 3.

Then Johnston emerged and immediately seized the RB spot, starting I think 25 straight games.

Laryea and Adekugbe emerged and now all these other players are coming up.  Suddenly FB is our deepest position probably.

This is sort of true. I think you're missing that while Johnston did emerge, most of his games in his first year as a RCB for Canada in a back three with Laryea or Buchanan at RWB.

22 hours ago, Buchta said:

I do not think he is registered to play in the youth league.  As far as I can tell, he has only played with the U19 in Croatian league matches.  

Correct. Yes, the article I posted above states he is isn't eligible to play in Europe with the youth side. I read speculation that it was because he hadn't been with the club for at least la full two years, which seems to be the criteria.

Interestingly, someone told me last night that he was cut by the Caps youth program at U15. Another great example of the value of multiple pathways, a kid who is successful despite growing up in the Whitecaps sphere of influence, rather than because of it.

On 4/23/2023 at 12:29 PM, nolando said:

Correct. Yes, the article I posted above states he is isn't eligible to play in Europe with the youth side. I read speculation that it was because he hadn't been with the club for at least la full two years, which seems to be the criteria.

Interestingly, someone told me last night that he was cut by the Caps youth program at U15. Another great example of the value of multiple pathways, a kid who is successful despite growing up in the Whitecaps sphere of influence, rather than because of it.

That is because he was playing for the juniors as an overage player. as an O/A he would need to be with the club 2 years.

He has now signed a pro contract with Hajduk till May 31, 2025.

Hajduk fans weren't happy that he taken off in the 65th.minute. Felt that he deserved to play the whole game.

On 4/26/2023 at 11:32 AM, nolando said:

Second consecutive start in the league.

Match rating for the recent scoreless draw:

"Niko Kristian Sigur 6 – he is already playing the second game at right back and although it was not "wow football" overall - as Leko likes to say - Niko appears in the squad as a junior who can be relied on."

https://slobodnadalmacija.hr/sport/hajduk/evo-kako-smo-ocijenili-hajdukovce-nakon-remija-na-gostovanju-kod-gorice-1284888

On 4/22/2023 at 1:09 PM, nolando said:

Screenshot_20230422_111216_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b2ea3c8756af9a186eaf147d73e74afe.jpg

(screengrab above from his York U profile from 2021: https://yorkulions.ca/sports/mens-soccer/roster/niko-sigur/9221)

Born in Burnaby, 2003. Mountain and Whitecaps as a youth. Provincial  High School Champion with Notre Dame. Moved to Ontario and played for Vaughn and York U before making the move to Europe.

First team debut, at RB, for Hajduk Spilt April 22 2023.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/niko-sigur/profil/spieler/1045375

A midfielder. Playing with Hajduk Spilt. Croatian team. Wearing #14.

I'm a simple man. That's Modric.

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Kind of depressing that this is yet another young player who we can’t do anything with. We desperately need a B/u23 camp to get a look at some players. 

A guy playing regularly Hadjuk split can surely get a call up to the NT maybe not nations league but probably for Gold cup.

What's the quality in Croatia, outside of Dynamo Zagreb like? I've driven in front of the Hadjuk Split stadium before, not a small park at all. I actually got stuck in the worst traffic jam of my life coming back from a day trip in Bosnia on the night of (I think?) Split's home opener. Like 5KM of standstill bumper to bumper traffic, every other car with a Hadjuk Split flag or sticker.

Still, a 19 (20?) year old professional in Europe is someone we need to pay attention to. The fact he went from U Sports to first tier Croatia is a crazy move. Also an indictment of Canadian soccer opportunities- he played for VWC as a kid, but had to go half way across the world to turn pro. I'm sure he was not the same player then as he is now, and VWC had their reasons for not keeping him onboard, but just a funny outcome.