Atlético Ottawa - 2023 Season Thread

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2023 at 5:16 PM, Atlantic said:

Expectation that Ruben Del Campo and Alberto Zapater will sign for the club soon, from Spanish news sites 

Thanks for the heads up:

https://as.com/futbol/segunda/alberto-zapater-inicia-su-nueva-aventura-canadiense-en-ottawa-n/

Zapater, a Spanish classic, but 38 years old. Still active, probably will bring experience and locker-room presence. But what is the logic in terms of the team they want to build?

Rubén del Campo, kind of player that is dime a dozen in Spain, uninteresting lower-tier player. Odd signings.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

To whomever updated Alberto Zapater wikipedia page with...

"On 28 June 2023, Canadian Premier League club Atletico Ottawa announced the signing of Zapater. "This signals our intent to be the second best club in Ontario," said one Ottawa player, ahead of Forge and, obviously, behind the legendary York United."

Loving it! 😉

On 6/26/2023 at 5:09 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thanks for the heads up:

https://as.com/futbol/segunda/alberto-zapater-inicia-su-nueva-aventura-canadiense-en-ottawa-n/

Zapater, a Spanish classic, but 38 years old. Still active, probably will bring experience and locker-room presence. But what is the logic in terms of the team they want to build?

Rubén del Campo, kind of player that is dime a dozen in Spain, uninteresting lower-tier player. Odd signings.

I think its good for the league having 1 or 2 of these older veteran players in the lockeroon and around the league 

1 hour ago, yothat2 said:

I think its good for the league having 1 or 2 of these older veteran players in the lockeroon and around the league 

I think the motivation for Zapater has to be to get into the Atlético organization. Maybe think about moving into coaching. But otherwise, the reason's would not be clear. Then you never know if he has kids and thinks they can get a headstart with English.

Zapater is a longtime Zaragoza player, been there for over ten seasons in two stints and came back to be their captain, with Serie A, Portugal and Russia in between. Zaragoza has been the biggest underachieving team in Spanish football this century, they really should be playing European competitions but can't get out of 2nd division. I sure he wanted to retire with them promoting but that does not look like it's going to happen.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...