Atlético Ottawa - 2023 Season Thread

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As a general principle it's great they think of AtO players for their Mexican affiliate.

I like this also, I wish MLS owners who own teams in Europe would act similar.

Kone to Bologna made too much sense, but never materialized. 

On a side note, and I know it's been suggested before, but Quebec City should be owned by City Football Group. Make it happen CPL. 🎅

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Ansem said:

It proves that you can get to Europe via CPL

Is he not one of many at this point? He's just one of quite a few former CPL players I'll be following.

3 minutes ago, Markoaleks said:

CPL is a feeder league 

that’s the model so the more players that go out- do well - is better for the reputation of the league 

More successful the players that go from CPL to elsewhere will only enhance the league reputation on many levels 

Beneficial for recruitment, perhaps, but probably not in regards to butts in seats. Tabla was fun to watch, even when playing against my team. 

Its not the MLS but happy that the guy got a second chance. Hope he does well and get at least another move up.

7 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Beneficial for recruitment, perhaps, but probably not in regards to butts in seats. Tabla was fun to watch, even when playing against my team. 

That is true but at the end of the day the league simply doesn't pay its players well enough to get them to stick around if they have a chance to move up, simple as that, and the idea that they are gonna let you go if you have an opportunity is part of the deal, even if it isn't written in contracts in so many letters.

The only way to change that is for the CPL to keep developing itself, both in and of the pitch, so that the revenues from the fanbases and from transfers are high enough to give better pay and keep people around. In that sense Tabla's transfer, even if it is a bummer from purely my local perspective as an Athletico Ottawa fan, is for the best: it keep making the league more attractive to players, and hopefully, the money is gonna be put to good use to keep developing the club on both a sports and community level.