Atlético Ottawa - 2023 Season Thread

Haven't seen this raised so I will..

For all the comlaints about the CFL stadiums being too big, because they are, we got a taste of one of their advantages during the playoffs.  Their capacity.  

Think Spruce Meadows has to be the largest non CFL venue in the league.  Don't know if you could ever sell 15,000 tickets for a final in Calgary or not, and it doesn't really matter either because you wouldn't be able to.  It's that simple.

No idea how gate revenue is shared for playoff events, or even if it is, but one Hell of a gate for Ottawa that afternoon.  And Forge didn't do so bad the weekend before either did they?

Just saying it isn't all bad playing in these bigger venues.  

Edited by Cheeta

2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Just saying it isn't all bad playing in these bigger venues.  

And what if this league starts to gain momentum sooner than later? It's easy to focus on the negative, but you never know. The last couple 5000ish games in Hamilton felt great in person so if they start getting the lower bowl semi full a few years down the road in the CFL stadiums I'll be grateful for them. We have to use what's available. 

Edited by Ftduck

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Second player leaving ATO, no surprise, looked to be one of the higher profile signings (on loan) for CPL last season, but didn't deliver.

https://northerntribune.ca/atletico-ottawa-moragrega-loan-end/

Roster update from same article.

While team captain Drew Beckie has retired, the likes of Shaw, Tabla, Bahous, Haworth, MacDonald, Roy, Verhoven, and Ingham remain on contracts through 2023, while Wright, Aleman, Sissoko, Perez, Tissot, and Melvin are on club option years. Mannella and McKendry are now out-of-contract.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not an expert when it comes to transfers and such, so honest question: If Espejo has been confirmed as returning with Atletico Ottawa on loan but goes on trial with Inter Miami, would Ottawa get any kind of compensation if Inter Miami makes an offer to pick him up? The contracting nuances of this kind of situation escape me. 

signing episode 7 GIF

11 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not an expert when it comes to transfers and such, so honest question: If Espejo has been confirmed as returning with Atletico Ottawa on loan but goes on trial with Inter Miami, would Ottawa get any kind of compensation if Inter Miami makes an offer to pick him up? The contracting nuances of this kind of situation escape me. 

signing episode 7 GIF

I'm guessing no.

Also sending a loan player on trial is highly unusual 

Could these “loan” deals actually just be training stints spun for positive angle? I’m not sure why they would think it is necessary but sending a loan player on trial made me question it. Then sending three players at once for trials also makes me go hmmmm. 
I’m probably way off base but the CPL often isn’t particularly transparent with what is actually going on with its players and clubs, so who knows. 

2 hours ago, maccaliam said:

Could these “loan” deals actually just be training stints spun for positive angle? I’m not sure why they would think it is necessary but sending a loan player on trial made me question it. Then sending three players at once for trials also makes me go hmmmm. 
I’m probably way off base but the CPL often isn’t particularly transparent with what is actually going on with its players and clubs, so who knows. 

They have done this every year with players in the CPL. Would be a shame to lose Bassett. This league suits him. Good advertisement for the league though if the move happens.