World Cup Final Rosters

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

I wouldn’t read too much into the tomori exclusion- England is just that deep where a player playing in Série A isn’t necessarily enough to make the team:

you’re talking about the serie a as it some second tier league. He’s on the champions of that league as well

Edited by ADP10

7 minutes ago, ADP10 said:

you’re talking about the serie a as it some second tier league. He’s on the champions of that league as well

Absolutely not- it speaks more to the type of depth that England has in their system and the fact that their domestic league is the world's best league. To put this into perspective, the only non-prem player on their roster is Jude Bellingham who is all but guaranteed to go to a prem team next year for what is being reported as one of the highest transfer fees ever. He's currently the 6th most valuable player in the world. Only 3 non premier league players have made England's roster in the last 12 months, including Tomori and Bellingham.

To go a step further, of the 26 players on their roster, only 8, including Bellingham, play for a team outside of the big 6 in england, which also includes 3 Newcastle players (currently 3rd in league), and of those 8, two are keepers.

It's like our hockey national team- just playing in the NHL is good enough for most nations, and hell, playing in the KHL is probably good enough for a lot of countries, but because we are so deep, the league or team you play for isn't enough to get called to the Olympic team.

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Nah. The mgr looks like he has gone with the same players that for some reason he has trust in...don't ask me why. @WestHamCanadianinOxfordwhat's your take re Tomori and the squad selection in general?

He will get chances whether under a different manager or when he comes back to England, centre backs have a long life-span.  He should be there over Dier, and probably Maguire on merit, though leadership comes into the latter I guess. 

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Funny enough, had we given him the Stefan Mitrovic treatment and ignored him until he went to a big club, he'd be eligible to play for us.  

He was a Chelsea youth, unless I am misunderstanding.  And I think all the three games need to be under 21, which he wasn't for 2 of them. 

On the squad in general.

I suppose you take Trent because of set-pieces, especially chasing the game but his defending against even half-decent attackers lately has been poor.  And you have three people that can play right back and really only one dedicated left back/left wing back. They will miss Chilwell.

Phillips is a waste.  Has not played enough and Bellingham does what he does better.  Gallagher not playing that much either but offers something different.  Henderson there for leadership, I guess. 

Sterling was also poor club-wise before last tournament but was really important to them, so you bring him.  Maddison deserves it and Sako looking good this year.  Bowen, it pains me to say, has not been good enough.

Rashford not been amazing but Toney not there for gambling allegations, I guess.  You bring him and Wilson with Kane.  Abraham maybe could replace one of them but not lighting it up either. 

The rest seem good -ish. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Your saying that the NHL is like the Premier league and Serie A is like the KHL?   Well i strongly beg to differ.

Not how I read it but there is certainly a home-based big club bias that very few players overcome regularly. 

Coady is one: there may be other reasons he is there but I think he worked pretty well for years in a back three which helps this squad. Rice and Bellingham and an on-form Pickford are just a cut above. Those that play for Newcastle, which is on its way money-wise to being a big club, mostly deserve to be there. 

There appears to be more than a few players on The England squad that are having poor club seasons or not playing much: Maguire, Sterling, Phillips, Grealish, Walker, Henderson, Stones...I get the loyalty/leadership or "been great for England" in last Euros  but how many can you afford to take? I mean Canada does not have the talent depth to drop vets.  Southgate comes across as a very stubborn chap. Hope his players deliver or he's a gonna. England have an incredible generation of young talent.

57 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Edit>; How many players from the recent WC winners (France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Brazil and Argentina) have played in the EPL while winning the WC?  

A lot of those teams with good domestic leagues, have a home-based bias as well.
And if your league is good enough as a player, why move? 

Still last 3

Hugo Lloris            (Tottenham H.)   
Paul Pogba             (Manchester United)
Olivier Giroud         (Chelsea)       
N'Golo Kanté           (Chelsea) 
Benjamin Mendy         (Manchester City)

Mesut Ozil                (Arsenal)       
André Schurrle            (Chelsea)        
Lukas Podolski            (Arsenal)  
Per Mertesacker           (Arsenal)      

José Manuel Paez Reina    (Liverpool)
Francesc Soler Fabregas   (Arsenal)      
Fernando José Torres      (Liverpool)

2006 - Italy - all domestic 

The best Brazilians coming to England is relatively new, I will admit. 

If they win this year - as they are favoured to - there would be 12 by a quick count. 

1998 France - 3 

There was no Premier League when the Argies last won the World Cup. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

He will get chances whether under a different manager or when he comes back to England, centre backs have a long life-span.  He should be there over Dier, and probably Maguire on merit, though leadership comes into the latter I guess. 

He was a Chelsea youth, unless I am misunderstanding.  And I think all the three games need to be under 21, which he wasn't for 2 of them. 

What I meant was that if he was an England youth player, then a senior player, then got dropped from their squad, we would still be able to get him as he wouldn’t have filed a one time switch yet. But you may be right about the 3 games before 21.

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:
A lot of those teams with good domestic leagues, have a home-based bias as well.
And if your league is good enough as a player, why move? 

Still last 3

Hugo Lloris            (Tottenham H.)   
Paul Pogba             (Manchester United)
Olivier Giroud         (Chelsea)       
N'Golo Kanté           (Chelsea) 
Benjamin Mendy         (Manchester City)

Mesut Ozil                (Arsenal)       
André Schurrle            (Chelsea)        
Lukas Podolski            (Arsenal)  
Per Mertesacker           (Arsenal)      

José Manuel Paez Reina    (Liverpool)
Francesc Soler Fabregas   (Arsenal)      
Fernando José Torres      (Liverpool)

2006 - Italy - all domestic 

The best Brazilians coming to England is relatively new, I will admit. 

If they win this year - as they are favoured to - there would be 12 by a quick count. 

1998 France - 3 

There was no Premier League when the Argies last won the World Cup. 

where is Zidane, Ronadinho, Ronaldo (bra), Messi, Edgar Davids, Muller, Modric, Maradona, Romario, Matthaus, Thuram, Suker, Snejder, Villa, Greizman, etc etc etc.  these are all players who either won the golden ball, silver ball or bronze ball.  On the entire list i dont think that there is a single one who played in England at the time they won these honors.

going way back to 86 or 82.  You would be really hard pressed to find real standouts who played in the EPL or what was then known as the english first division and who stood out at the WC's.   I think it's because the style of the game in England was different and hence requires different attributes to what is played at the WC in mid-summer where temperatures and humidity are higher.  Its a much slower game at the WC than in the EPL.   

Edited by Free kick

7 minutes ago, Free kick said:

where is Zidane, Ronadinho, Ronaldo (bra), Messi, Edgar Davids, Muller, Modric, Maradona, Romario, Matthaus, Thuram, Suker, Snejder, Villa, Greizman, etc etc etc.  these are all players who either won the golden ball, silver ball or bronze ball.  On the entire list i dont think that there is a single one who played in England at the time they won these honnors.

Ha. Off the top of my head, Hazard last time.

I will look up more when I have some time. 

5 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Not how I read it but there is certainly a home-based big club bias that very few players overcome regularly. 

Coady is one: there may be other reasons he is there but I think he worked pretty well for years in a back three which helps this squad. Rice and Bellingham and an on-form Pickford are just a cut above. Those that play for Newcastle, which is on its way money-wise to being a big club, mostly deserve to be there. 

I'm sorry, but exactly whom is Pickford a cut above? He's been the starting 'keeper for a relegation-threatened team throughout his prime years and won't be getting a move to a better team anytime soon, if ever. He's never played in the Champions League and is as likely to cost his team a result with a ridiculous blunder as he is to win them a game through his shot stopping. Would he ever be considered in the top 10 goalkeepers in the world? The top 20? The top 50? Of all the countries in Qatar who can be considered legitimate shots to win it, I'd say every one, bar the Netherlands, has at least one 'keeper that's clearly better than Jordan Pickford. Many have two.

1 minute ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'm sorry, but exactly whom is Pickford a cut above? He's been the starting 'keeper for a relegation-threatened team throughout his prime years and won't be getting a move to a better team anytime soon, if ever. He's never played in the Champions League and is as likely to cost his team a result with a ridiculous blunder as he is to win them a game through his shot stopping. Would he ever be considered in the top 10 goalkeepers in the world? The top 20? The top 50? Of all the countries in Qatar who can be considered legitimate shots to win it, I'd say every one, bar the Netherlands, has at least one 'keeper that's clearly better than Jordan Pickford. Many have two.

Ramsdale should be the starter for England.

Wales announced this squad.   

Goalkeepers: Wayne Hennessey (Nottingham Forest), Danny Ward(Leicester City), Adam Davies (Sheffield United).

Defenders: Ben Davies (Tottenham Hotspur), Ben Cabango (Swansea City), Tom Lockyer (Luton Town), Joe Rodon (Rennes, on loan from Tottenham Hotspur), Chris Mephan (Bournemouth), Ethan Ampadu (Spezia, on loan from Chelsea), Chris Gunter (Wimbledon), Neco Williams (Nottingham Forest), Connor Roberts (Burnley).

Midfielders: Sorba Thomas (Huddersfield Town), Joe Allen (Swansea City), Matthew Smith (Milton Keynes Dons), Dylan Levitt (Dundee United), Harry Wilson (Fulham), Joe Morrell (Portsmouth), Jonny Williams (Swindon Town), Aaron Ramsey (Nice), Rubin Colwill (Cardiff City).

Forwards: Gareth Bale (Los Angeles FC), Kieffer Moore (Bournemouth), Mark Harris (Cardiff City), Brennan Johnson (Nottingham Forest), Dan James (Fulham, on loan from Leeds United).