World Cup Final Rosters

Sorry no photo but no Stefan Mitrovic (Canadian one) for Serbia

Goalkeepers: Marko Dmitrović, Predrag Rajković, Vanja Milinković - Savić

Defenders: Stefan Mitrović, Nikola Milenković, Strahinja Pavlović, Miloš Veljković, Filip Mladenović, Strahinja Eraković, Srdjan Babić

Midfielders: Nemanja Gudelj, Sergej Milinković - Savić, Saša Lukić, Marko Grujić, Filip Kostić, Uroš Račić, Nemanja Maksimović, Ivan Ilić,Andrija Živković, Darko Lazović

Attackers: Dušan Tadić (C), Aleksandar Mitrović, Dušan Vlahović, Filip Đuričić, Luka Jović, Nemanja Radonjić

16 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'm sorry, but exactly whom is Pickford a cut above?

Ha.  Your red slip is showing again - those 2 points he stole from your lot in September are never coming back, are they?

(and you read and responded part of what I said, again as well)  

I can remember all the England keepers making errors at least in the last year (and Allison, Ederson, Neuer - alot, Ter Stegen, Emi Martinez, Lloris, etc.) but Pickford is also picking up points on his own lately - ie. he is in great form.  When he is on-form, as I said, he is a cut-above the other England keepers.  And he is on-form now. He is also a better communicator and leader than either of the other two, maybe they will grow into it.  (Why is Borjan our clear #1, with all the errors he makes?)  

But let's go through your last statement.  

"Legitimate shots" = top 5 or 10 favoured?

Brazil +400 - Better than him - yes 
France +600 - Areola, Lloris, Mandanda (in alphabetical order) - you're having a laugh
Argentina +650 - I don't get to see the others much but Emi Martinez started most of qualifying and last year's Copa America - so his manager seems to think he is best - and he is not better than Pickford.
England +700
Spain +800 - Depends on which Simon shows up - think Euros - and no to Sanchez and Raya
Germany +1000 - Yes (again depending on which versions of their keepers we see)

Belgium +1200 - Yes (Courtois not the others)
Netherlands +1200 - You said it. 
Portugal +1200 - Costa yes, Sa and Patricio, no
Denmark +2800 - Better than Schmeichel now certainly and it doesn't look like anyone else plays.
Croatia +5000 - Grbic was pretty bad at Lille, Livakovic wasn't great against us in the Europa League and I remember an error in th Euros  - so I am going to go with no. 

Sorry, mate. Can't agree even in the top 5.

He may go on to do a Robert Green against the States but, for me, an on-form Pickford is a cut above the other England keepers, even if he plays on the wrong part of the Mersey. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Argentina & Netherlands decided just reading player names was sufficient. Spain does almost the same but extend it out to give them the title of longest squad announcement so far.

Van Gaal does spice it up at the end by saying they're going to be world champions. He also said in the press conference: I called the players who I didn't include from 8:30 until 10:00 am. I saw players naked, still laying in bed this morning while I had to call them. Last year, Van Gaal said in a presser that he wanted his players to be horny.

Uruguay shows us the hometowns of their meaty footballers as a tourism ad that looks very similar to the Swiss rollout.

Edited by red card

46 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Angel Di Maria seems to be the only player left from that winning team from that U20 WC that was played in Canada.  Messi played in the previous cycle (and was still eligible) but skipped the 2007 U20 WC. 

image.thumb.png.4e0bdb70dcd52b34788e951cdf058a98.png

Some distracting nostaglia there while on my way back from a depressing day in London. 

I never got to see Argentina.  Though Zarate who scored there played for us for a bit.

Saw Spain with Pique lose on penalties to the Czechs and the two Canada games at Commonwealth.

15 years ago - ouch.

I still remember those games quite well.   I recall buying a package for games in Toronto and it included i think it was 4-5 games.   I was at that final.  the package included the Can-Chile game.  

Here is a trivia question for you:

WHICH PLAYER ON CANADA'S 2022 WCQ SQUAD (AND WHO WILL BE IN QATAR) PLAYED IN THE 2007 U20 WC THAT WAS HELD IN CANADA?

I'll bet most wont get this one.

Edited by Free kick

15 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I still remember those games quite well.   I recall buying a package for games in Toronto and it included i think it was 4-5 games.   I was at that final.  the package included the Can-Chile game.  

Here is a trivia question for you:

WHICH PLAYER ON CANADA'S 2022 WCQ SQUAD (AND WHO WILL BE IN QATAR) PLAYED IN THE 2007 U20 WC THAT WAS HELD IN CANADA?

I'll bet most wont get this one.

Steven VitWHOREia. We like him now, though.

On 11/12/2022 at 2:03 AM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I can remember all the England keepers making errors at least in the last year (and Allison, Ederson, Neuer - alot, Ter Stegen, Emi Martinez, Lloris, etc.) but Pickford is also picking up points on his own lately - ie. he is in great form.  When he is on-form, as I said, he is a cut-above the other England keepers.  And he is on-form now. He is also a better communicator and leader than either of the other two, maybe they will grow into it.  (Why is Borjan our clear #1, with all the errors he makes?)  

Ramsdale and Pope both had clean sheets yesterday, and their teams currently sit in 1st and 3rd in the table. Pickford dropped an easy catch at the feet of an opposition striker, massively contributing to his team losing what could turn out to be a relegation six-pointer. The next game for all three is England's opening group game in Qatar.

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Ramsdale and Pope both had clean sheets yesterday, and their teams currently sit in 1st and 3rd in the table. Pickford dropped an easy catch at the feet of an opposition striker, massively contributing to his team losing what could turn out to be a relegation six-pointer. The next game for all three is England's opening group game in Qatar.

Ha. Unless, something goes wrong it will be the next game played for only one of them. I guess we will see who the football manager picks as opposed to two nobodies flapping their gums (metaphorically) on the internet.

No comment on your "legitimate shots" assertion?  Forgetting or ignoring France, I guess, really threw me for a loop.

42 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Ha. Unless, something goes wrong it will be the next game played for only one of them. I guess we will see who the football manager picks as opposed to two nobodies flapping their gums (metaphorically) on the internet.

No comment on your "legitimate shots" assertion?  Forgetting or ignoring France, I guess, really threw me for a loop.

Even though he's nowhere as good as he was a few years ago, I'd still pick Lloris over Pickford any day of the week.

On 11/11/2022 at 4:03 PM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Ha.  Your red slip is showing again - those 2 points he stole from your lot in September are never coming back, are they?

(and you read and responded part of what I said, again as well)  

But let's go through your last statement.  

"Legitimate shots" = top 5 or 10 favoured?

Brazil +400 - Better than him - yes 
France +600 - Areola, Lloris, Mandanda (in alphabetical order) - you're having a laugh
Argentina +650 - I don't get to see the others much but Emi Martinez started most of qualifying and last year's Copa America - so his manager seems to think he is best - and he is not better than Pickford.
England +700
Spain +800 - Depends on which Simon shows up - think Euros - and no to Sanchez and Raya
Germany +1000 - Yes (again depending on which versions of their keepers we see)

Belgium +1200 - Yes (Courtois not the others)
Netherlands +1200 - You said it. 
Portugal +1200 - Costa yes, Sa and Patricio, no
Denmark +2800 - Better than Schmeichel now certainly and it doesn't look like anyone else plays.
Croatia +5000 - Grbic was pretty bad at Lille, Livakovic wasn't great against us in the Europa League and I remember an error in th Euros  - so I am going to go with no. 

Sorry, mate. Can't agree even in the top 5.

He may go on to do a Robert Green against the States but, for me, an on-form Pickford is a cut above the other England keepers, even if he plays on the wrong part of the Mersey. 

Interesting the question of Spain keepers who noone knows and most fans find puzzling. Unai Simon gets results though. The other two are workaday, but Luis Enrique likes how the play with their feet, their distribution. 

Certainly not choices based on trendiness.

De Gea on a good day is better than all three, but folks don't remember he was a disaster in Russia 2018. I think he didn't actually stop any shots, there were few but they all went in.

Other keeper stuff: Belgium, Mignolet is probably the best 2nd keeper at the WC. Argentina, Rulli is vulnerable, not that great. Everton, on the other side of the Mersey? That's Tranmere. Not sure you are so sharp on Liverpool geography.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Interesting the question of Spain keepers who noone knows and most fans find puzzling. Unai Simon gets results though. The other two are workaday, but Luis Enrique likes how the play with their feet, their distribution. 

Certainly not choices based on trendiness.

De Gea on a good day is better than all three, but folks don't remember he was a disaster in Russia 2018. I think he didn't actually stop any shots, there were few but they all went in.

Other keeper stuff: Belgium, Mignolet is probably the best 2nd keeper at the WC. Argentina, Rulli is vulnerable, not that great. Everton, on the other side of the Mersey? That's Tranmere. Not sure you are so sharp on Liverpool geography.

Interesting information.  Hard to agree on Mingolet, he will need perform at the highest level for a bit to erase the years of blunders I remember and Brugge still get scored on a lot.   Edit: case in point just now. 

And I didn't say the other side of Mersey, I said "on the wrong part".  One set of bricklayer relatives actually lived up there for a bit on their way to Canada.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford