Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

9 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I did at least notice Rendon. Most of the team just couldn't handle or judge the grass. Baquero had a shocker, samake started well and went down hill. Brienne isn't a LB and Haynes is not the answer. Ponce was bad when he came on and Williams looked bad too. It was an off night for almost everyone. It happens but it's not easy to stop the alarm bells ringing! 

This weekends game will be big  early season test to see if there is a necessary positive reaction.

Ponce actually showed some quality, more than most out there, but absolutely zero confidence and minimal effort. All the Valour players struggled with the pitch and might have done well with arriving a day or two earlier to get in a few more practices on the surface.

Hmm, what did we learn.  Take every game seriously, do the prep work needed, etc etc in short be professionals.  Its hard to reconcile taking apart York and then falling apart a few days later.  Some of the onescoccer pundits were calling Valour the "darkhorse" fav in the CDN championship after the York game, oh boy.  Terrible for PDS, I know there are excuses, short turn around, rotated squad etc, but he didnt have them ready for the pitch, the opponent, he was the one who looked amateur.  BUT...thats it, back to business, back to CPL on the pitches they are used to, home field advantage and the regular season. 

On the flip side, what a great night for the Rovers/BC league, and CPL/CDN soccer.  Anything that gets some buzz for soccer and this tournie is a good thing.  

52 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

West End 34 hours before Valour kick off their home opener.   Weeeee!!!!!!!

(It'll be nicer tomorrow.  They promise).

20230421_072942~2.jpg

What a view. It must be hard to stay focused at work some times.

The weather gods have smiled on tomorrow though.

image.png.866dabe2cf1290440c55dac81dee8ae8.png

Edited by jonovision

5 minutes ago, jonovision said:

It would be nice to have a match preview that included updates on the injury status of Ohin, AJB, and the other guys that have been missing so far. Can Valour go toe-to-toe with Ottawa with a midfield 3 of Gutierrez, Campbell and Sanchez?

Am I correct in assuming Rendon was deliberately omitted from your available MF list?

2 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Am I correct in assuming Rendon was deliberately omitted from your available MF list?

The half-time substitutions and tactical shuffles that dos Santos made on Wednesday indicated that he doesn't believe that Rendon can provide the work-rate necessary to play in the middle. And he would be right.

Another way of saying that is that the only spot in the midfield 3 that Rendon can play is the offensive role that Gutierrez played vs York. So if Gutierrez is in, Rendon is out (of the midfield). 

8 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Georges Mukumbilwa has been starting at LB for Pacific and looking good.

Anyone know why Valour didn't sign him last year after he trialed? Was it a question of money, or Valour didn't rate him?

I'd sure take him as our LB.

The question I ask everytime I see Pacific play.  But, isn't he a RB?  Suppose he did not meet the needs of the team at the time of his trial, pity.

15 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Georges Mukumbilwa has been starting at LB for Pacific and looking good.

Anyone know why Valour didn't sign him last year after he trialed? Was it a question of money, or Valour didn't rate him?

I'd sure take him as our LB.

8 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Didnt we have Levis at LB last year??  

3 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

The question I ask everytime I see Pacific play.  But, isn't he a RB?  Suppose he did not meet the needs of the team at the time of his trial, pity.

Levis was our left back last year and, given his reputation for being injury prone, actually did really well. To be fair, the other option was "Jonny 1-minute". Wonder where he is now?

As far as Mukumbilwa goes, he is a right back, but is one of those players who can play pretty much anywhere down either flank. He is just as likely to be seen playing left wing as he is right back. Also has pace to burn.

Tickets do seem to be moving at a decent clip, based on my visit to the Ticketmaster page compared to last weekend. That said, one never knows with the way TM manages its seat inventory.

I'm looking forward to the match and am almost prepared to forget about Wednesday if the team fields a proper lineup and shows urgency on Saturday evening.

Edited by jonovision

8 hours ago, Cheeta said:

20230421_072942~2.jpg

I had put my heavy winter coat away but brought it back out for my trip to the 'peg. 😆

On the same flight as the Atlético Ottawa players and staff. About to take off.

First time in Winnipeg since August 2001!

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I had put my heavy winter coat away but brought it back out for my trip to the 'peg. 😆

On the same flight as the Atlético Ottawa players and staff. About to take off.

First time in Winnipeg since August 2001!

Hope you have a great time. Enjoy Winnipeg's ugliest season!

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/every-year-you-have-that-goal-of-making-home-a-fortress

"-No update on the status of Raphael Ohin on Friday. In case you missed it, the bulldozing midfielder left Wednesday’s loss with about 20 minutes remaining with a still-to-be determined leg injury. Ohin did leave the pitch under his own steam but was visibly upset.

Both Ohin and centre back Andrew Jean-Baptiste were not at training Friday at the WSF South Soccer Complex."

No info provided on the other players who have been missing to date.

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

Tickets do seem to be moving at a decent clip, based on my visit to the Ticketmaster page compared to last weekend. That said, one never knows with the way TM manages its seat inventory.

I'm looking forward to the match and am almost prepared to forget about Wednesday if the team fields a proper lineup and shows urgency on Saturday evening.

Looking at the ticketmaster map I'd say we're at around 5500 "sold" at this point...solely based off the proportion of blue vs grey dots.

12 hours ago, Cheeta said:

20230421_072942~2.jpg

If you arrive before we march in tomorrow, you can take part in our snowball fight. (Yeah I know the snow is all gone now, but that's what coolers and hockey arena snow piles are for).