Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

With only 3 non injured CBs remaining, 2 of which may be unavailable due to injury in the near term, does Valour add a CB?  If so transfer window #1 has closed -- can they add a CB?  From what I see in the rules it has to be a "season-ending injury" which Valour has not stated.

For the 2023 League Season, transfer windows for Canada are:  

• Window #1:
    • Starts: January 31, 2023
    • Ends: April 24, 2023
  • Window #2:
    • Starts: July 5, 2023
    • Ends: August 2, 2023

1 minute ago, K Edgar said:

With only 3 non injured CBs remaining, 2 of which may be unavailable due to injury in the near term, does Valour add a CB?  If so transfer window #1 has closed -- can they add a CB?  From what I see in the rules it has to be a "season-ending injury" which Valour has not stated.

For the 2023 League Season, transfer windows for Canada are:  

• Window #1:
    • Starts: January 31, 2023
    • Ends: April 24, 2023
  • Window #2:
    • Starts: July 5, 2023
    • Ends: August 2, 2023

They may not have stated as much, but a torn ACL is absolutely a season-ending injury.

Now I feel badly for having totally written off the guy after the Rovers debacle, as likelier than not we'll never see him again in a Valour uniform. Tough break, but at least he's getting paid and has access to whatever extra recovery care Winnipeg Football Club will provide.

If AJB is out more than a few weeks they absolutely need to sign someone. And I'd have to guess from how late Chandler was signed that he was brought in because an extended AJB injury needed to be covered for.

Edited by jonovision

9 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Now I feel badly for having totally written off the guy after the Rovers debacle, as likelier than not we'll never see him again in a Valour uniform. Tough break, but at least he's getting paid and has access to whatever extra recovery care Winnipeg Football Club will provide.

If AJB is out more than a few weeks they absolutely need to sign someone. And I'd have to guess from how late Chandler was signed that he was brought in because an extended AJB injury needed to be covered for.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is given another shot next year. But you have to wonder, why didn't we fill the 23rd roster slot before the window closed? If you remove Chandler from the squad, we only have 21 players.

Just now, EnigMattic1 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he is given another shot next year. But you have to wonder, why didn't we fill the 23rd roster slot before the window closed? If you remove Chandler from the squad, we only have 21 players.

I don't think Valour is the only team rostering less than the maximum.

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I don't think Valour is the only team rostering less than the maximum.

Probably not, but with their history of injuries, running light seems a bad idea. Probably should have taken a 5th CB as opposed to a 3rd striker.

Looks like we will be seeing more of Campbell at CB going forward.

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Believe you can still add guys who are unattached 

This is all I can find on the CPL website:

Season-Ending Injury 

Upon receipt of a formal letter from a Club’s medical staff outlining details surrounding a severe player injury that will prohibit such player from participating for the remainder of the CPL League Season, the League Office may classify the player as having a Season-Ending Injury. Should the League Office approve a Season-Ending Injury, the player will be placed on the Club’s Inactive List.   

The full process for placing a player on Season-Ending Injury is as follows:

• The CPL Club alerts the League Office that it believes that a player has sustained a Season-Ending Injury.
  • The League Office forwards Season-Ending Injury statutory declarations to the CPL Club (the League Office may also provide estimated salary cap relief calculation as requested).
  • The CPL Club formally requests that the player be deemed to have a Season-Ending Injury and placed on the Club’s Inactive List for the remainder of the League Season, providing statutory declarations and medical diagnosis in support of request.
  • The League Office approves or denies the request. With League approval, and if eligible, calculation of salary cap relief will be formally provided (note: salary cap relief currently limited to one player per team).
  • The Club can then replace player in accordance with roster and salary cap rules.

So long as a Club abides by all CPL roster and salary cap rules, a Season-Ending Replacement Player may be signed. 

Upon League Office determination that a player has a Season-Ending Injury, a Club may be provided with roster and salary cap relief under the following parameters:

• The dollar value of any salary cap relief cannot exceed the remaining 2023 salary payable to the injured player (i.e., cap relief is calculated on a pro-rata basis). For example, where the League Office approves a Season-Ending Injury and such player was earning a salary of $30,000 for the period of January 1st, 2023 to December 31st, 2023 ($2,500 per month), a Club would receive the following salary cap relief to sign a Season-Ending Injury Replacement Player for the balance of the 2023 League Season:
  • Season-Ending Injury date of April 1st, 2023: $22,500 (9 months remaining on 2023 contract / 9 * $2,500)
  • Season-Ending Injury date of August 1st, 2023: $12,500 (5 months remaining on 2023 contract / 9 * $2,500)
  • Salary cap relief will also be provided for other on-cap categories (e.g., housing), with any expense limited to the amount that the injured player was eligible to receive.
  • A Club is limited to salary cap relief for one (1) Season-Ending Injury per League Season.

A player moved to a Club’s Inactive List with a Season-Ending Injury cannot return to play through the remainder of the current League Season, even if that player recovers sooner than expected. 

56 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Probably not, but with their history of injuries, running light seems a bad idea. Probably should have taken a 5th CB as opposed to a 3rd striker.

Looks like we will be seeing more of Campbell at CB going forward.

That would be a catastrophe.

I'm hoping Samake is good to go on Sunday and that the Samake-Pianelli partnership can stay healthy as long as possible. 

12 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Chandler's replacement...

You might call this a Chandler replacement, but I'm more than a bit worried that Chandler was signed late as an AJB replacement. 

At least they're not sitting on their hands. The one guy who thinks we need to sign more players from L1O will be happy.

25 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I dont remember Cela with forge...maybe Hammer can fill us in on what he is like???  Or I can wait and I'm sure the parrot will post the northerns story on this a day or two from now with lots of extra details.  

Then I will only include the canpl story

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/hey-if-you-need-me-there-in-five-hours-or-whatever-it-is-to-play-a-game-im-there-in-five-hours-im-ready-to-go

"-Valour is still without midfielder Marcello Polisi and defenders Eskander Mzoughi and Jordan Haynes. As for an update on midfielder Raphael Ohin, who was injured in the Canadian Championship loss to TSS Rovers, this from Dos Santos: “No update yet on the timeline for Raph. We’re still assessing his situation and how to better accelerate his recovery process.”"

Samake is not mentioned, hopefully that means he is ok.

Edited by K Edgar

15 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

"“It was important for us to add to the position with the injury to AJB going a little bit longer than expected and with the injury to Matt Chandler. We want to make sure we’re not overloading guys like Abdou Samake and Guillaume Pianelli, who have already been giving us a lot of minutes.”"

‘V’ NOTES

-Valour is still without midfielder Marcello Polisi and defenders Eskander Mzoughi and Jordan Haynes. As for an update on midfielder Raphael Ohin, who was injured in the Canadian Championship loss to TSS Rovers, this from Dos Santos:

“No update yet on the timeline for Raph. We’re still assessing his situation and how to better accelerate his recovery process.”

So putting all this together, Samake is probably good to go, AJB still out for a while, Ohin's injury does not appear to be short-term, and Mzoughi, Polisi and Haynes aren't ready. 17 healthy bodies for the trip to Calgary.

Edited by jonovision