Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

8 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

A quick look at the current squad, with 1 roster slot open, we need either a left back to operate as cover for Haynes, or a left winger to allow de Brienne to be used as an attacking full back. We have at least 2 for each position elsewhere on the field. 

de Brienne was playing left back in the friendly vs Pacific.  I did not see Haynes that game.  Seems to illustrate that Valour definitely need more left footed options.  Anyone heard of any trialists?

On 4/7/2023 at 11:03 PM, K Edgar said:

de Brienne was playing left back in the friendly vs Pacific.  I did not see Haynes that game.  Seems to illustrate that Valour definitely need more left footed options.  Anyone heard of any trialists?

No trialists, but I hear Esparza is still available.........

Seriously though, I've heard nothing. Other than possible U-Sports players to pad out the left side, or an (unrealistic) Attardo return, there doesn't seem to be much out there.

Saying that though, Hidalgo-Mazzei hasn't been at Valour this year...... Yet. 🤣

7 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

No trialists, but I hear Esparza is still available.........

Seriously though, I've heard nothing. Other than possible U-Sports players to pad out the left side, or an (unrealistic) Attardo return, there doesn't seem to be much out there.

Saying that though, Hidalgo-Mazzei hasn't been at Valour this year...... Yet. 🤣

Left footed cdn who might still be available... Stefan Karajovanovic.  Returned from trial in Serbia, is/was on trial with Pacific but no annoucement from Pacific yet.

Anyone know if LePlante is still in Wpg?  Carlos, who's "rights were retained", must have departed as he signed in the L1O.

Couple of un-numbered players I did not recognize and from today's "inter squad match" pics.  1st one looks like Tomy?

May be an image of 4 people, people playing soccer and people playing football

May be an image of 3 people, people playing football and people playing soccer

7 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Left footed cdn who might still be available... Stefan Karajovanovic.  Returned from trial in Serbia, is/was on trial with Pacific but no annoucement from Pacific yet.

Anyone know if LePlante is still in Wpg?  Carlos, who's "rights were retained", must have departed as he signed in the L1O.

Couple of un-numbered players I did not recognize and from today's "inter squad match" pics.  1st one looks like Tomy?

May be an image of 4 people, people playing soccer and people playing football

May be an image of 3 people, people playing football and people playing soccer

I wouldn't personally take Karajovanovic as we already have enough attacking players.

Laplante should still be there but, saying that, Raine Lyn (who is also left footed) just disappeared without any sort of announcement last year.

Carlos is now at North Toronto Nitros, so I am assuming that "rights retained" just prevents them from entering the draft again.

As far as the inter-squad match goes, that could also include players from the "high performance" team. The first pic is definitely Tomy though.

^ Yesli might be one to watch this CPL season.  He's years away from a money move but 2023 could be one of those "a journey of a 1,000 miles begins with the single step" sort of moment.  And that's what the league is all about isn't it?

Lad checks a lot of boxes.  Not the least bit discouraged by what I saw of him last season.  And to be honest, this campaign might be hard on the eyes for Valour faithful but for Yesli, that could be invaluable for his development and marketability. 

What?  I'm making lemonade, ok?    

Edited by Cheeta

deBrienne is listed as a defender, which leaves a hole at left wing.  Campbell mentioned as a defesive mid although he played db vs Pacific.  The number of 1st year pros (Pianelli, Chandler, Mzoughi) will be challenge.  Interested to see how they hold up in the 1st game -- vs young DeRo and Babouli will be a solid test!

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/valour-2023-preview-the-defenders

2 hours ago, K Edgar said:

deBrienne is listed as a defender, which leaves a hole at left wing.  Campbell mentioned as a defesive mid although he played db vs Pacific.  The number of 1st year pros (Pianelli, Chandler, Mzoughi) will be challenge.  Interested to see how they hold up in the 1st game -- vs young DeRo and Babouli will be a solid test!

Not necessarily. Given that Haynes and de Brienne can only play at the same time if de Brienne is on left wing would cover that area. It is also worth noting that Ulloa can play on either wing.

One would also assume (or hope) that the first year pros would be hungry and want to prove themselves, prove that they belong there. Pianelli also has the added motivation given that he was briefly with Forge last year.

5 hours ago, K Edgar said:

In the brief history of Valour, in my opinion of course, there have been as many veterans that have been disappointingly way below par as first year guys pros that didn't make the grade. 

I'm optimistic about the team in 2023 for the following reasons:

1. In goal, I think Yesli is better than Sirois and I also a prefer an established #1 to both keepers being swapped, often for no evident reason.

2. The centre of defense is weaker than last year with the departures of Romeo and Mekideche, but if we get a full healthy season of AJB, I think that more than makes up for it. (Seeing as that hasn't happened yet, maybe a faint hope, but again, I'm trying to be optimistic).

3. I believe soccer games are won and lost in the centre of midfield. We've seen with Canada the difference it makes to have a real guy there with Eustaquio. Last year too often it was Gutierrez + [fill in blank with guy playing out of position, or a 100 year old Daryl Fordyce]. Ohin isn't a world-beater but he's an actual midfielder that knows what to do in the role.

4. Valour has never had a good striker. I don't think they do this year either but it's probably closer than they've ever been before.

There are some issues down the flanks and the team will miss the creativity of Rea, but in a small roster, small budget league like CPL every team, maybe even Forge, will face these challenges. It's worth remembering that Valour have only been the worst team in the apertura of 2019 -- no worse than 6th since 2020 and 5th the last two years. And 5th is a playoff spot now.

Edited by jonovision

10 hours ago, jonovision said:

In the brief history of Valour, in my opinion of course, there have been as many veterans that have been disappointingly way below par as first year guys pros that didn't make the grade. 

I'm optimistic about the team in 2023 for the following reasons:

1. In goal, I think Yesli is better than Sirois and I also a prefer an established #1 to both keepers being swapped, often for no evident reason.

2. The centre of defense is weaker than last year with the departures of Romeo and Mekideche, but if we get a full healthy season of AJB, I think that more than makes up for it. (Seeing as that hasn't happened yet, maybe a faint hope, but again, I'm trying to be optimistic).

3. I believe soccer games are won and lost in the centre of midfield. We've seen with Canada the difference it makes to have a real guy there with Eustaquio. Last year too often it was Gutierrez + [fill in blank with guy playing out of position, or a 100 year old Daryl Fordyce]. Ohin isn't a world-beater but he's an actual midfielder that knows what to do in the role.

4. Valour has never had a good striker. I don't think they do this year either but it's probably closer than they've ever been before.

There are some issues down the flanks and the team will miss the creativity of Rea, but in a small roster, small budget league like CPL every team, maybe even Forge, will face these challenges. It's worth remembering that Valour have only been the worst team in the apertura of 2019 -- no worse than 6th since 2020 and 5th the last two years. And 5th is a playoff spot now.

1. Totally agree with you here. I have always been of the belief that consistency is key. Don't get me wrong, both Sirois and Rayane are good keepers, but why swap them needlessly as you said?

2. Again, totally agree with you. Although Mekideche came in halfway through the season, he showed a lot of promise and there was a lot of positive comments about him before he signed. I think, with Romeo, it will be a case of us having to see what we could have had given that he is still in the league. I can see him being a key player for Vancouver. He would have been an ideal replacement for AJB. I think the first choice pairing will be Samake and AJB. Could Pianelli and Chandler push for a starting role? Competition can only be a good thing.

3. Yes, games are often won and lost in midfield, but I still believe in the quote that Sir Alex Ferguson used, being that "goals win games, but defence wins titles". I think the return of Ohin will be a boost. He can sit in front of the defensive line and break down the opposition attack. He will be hungry and have a point to prove after missing out last season through injury. Gutierrez has to be one of the first names on the team sheet. But, as you said, he needs a regular partner. As with the centre back pairing, consistency is key.

4. Maybe Ponce will be different now he has had a season to settle? Novak after an injury hasn't looked too bad in pre season. Siaj? Who knows? Were there other options? Maybe Hundal or Attardo back for a second spell? The downside is, it will be harder to attract players who could genuinely be a threat without playoff qualification.

All in all, there are some issues that need to be addressed. We appear to have a #1 set in for the season, which is a bonus, but we need to settle on a pairing at both centre back and centre midfield. Establish who the 'key' players are and get them on longer contracts. 

15 hours ago, jonovision said:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2023/04/12/valour-fc-in-it-to-win-it

Polisi, Mzoughi and Jean-Baptiste are not available for the match vs York.

Defense/Defensive midfield will be thin with those 3 injuries.  With 3 games in 7 days to start the season these are likely to effect more than 1 game.  Hope they are minor issues and players recover quickly.  Especially concerning is AJB has been out a while.

10 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Defense/Defensive midfield will be thin with those 3 injuries.  With 3 games in 7 days to start the season these are likely to effect more than 1 game.  Hope they are minor issues and players recover quickly.  Especially concerning is AJB has been out a while.

Any injury to AJB is a cause for concern. I wouldn't expect the other 2 to be starters, but as you mention this is an early point in the season when it would be nice to have some depth.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/this-just-in/bombers-post-4-9m-operating-profit-in-2022

"Valour FC, the city’s local pro football team, generated losses of $950,000."

Again, without seeing the full statement it's hard to say how much income/expenses related to Valour go under the Blue Bombers line items, as the latter also operates the stadium. Funny how the reporter confusingly calls Valour the city's local pro football team.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/this-just-in/bombers-post-4-9m-operating-profit-in-2022

"Valour FC, the city’s local pro football team, generated losses of $950,000."

Again, without seeing the full statement it's hard to say how much income/expenses related to Valour go under the Blue Bombers line items, as the latter also operates the stadium. Funny how the reporter confusingly calls Valour the city's local pro football team.

Wait, we have more than one pro team???

Seriously though, as you said, how much falls under Bombers? That will always be the question when the owners have teams in different sports.

Ok, recent developments have had me thinking. Atletico Ottawa have rebranded OSU and Forge have acquired Hamilton United as an affiliate/feeder club, joining the partnership they already have with Sigma. Cavalry have links with Calgary Foothills.

Is there any teams of note locally that Valour could link up with who could benefit the first team, or will it just continue to be Bonivital, Winnipeg Phoenix, FC Northwest, St Charles Force and Winnipeg South End United feeding the "High Performance" team? I guess, without a League1 equivalent league in Manitoba, there isn't really much in terms of teams given the MMSL isn't at the same level.

1 hour ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Ok, recent developments have had me thinking. Atletico Ottawa have rebranded OSU and Forge have acquired Hamilton United as an affiliate/feeder club, joining the partnership they already have with Sigma. Cavalry have links with Calgary Foothills.

Is there any teams of note locally that Valour could link up with who could benefit the first team, or will it just continue to be Bonivital, Winnipeg Phoenix, FC Northwest, St Charles Force and Winnipeg South End United feeding the "High Performance" team? I guess, without a League1 equivalent league in Manitoba, there isn't really much in terms of teams given the MMSL isn't at the same level.

Valour has a pay to play high performance thing for teenagers. I have a drinking buddy who's son is involved. This would essentiallly be on par with Bonivital, or Winnipeg Phoenix. This does not function as a proper Academy, per se, and there is no path into the first team.

I believe that the FC Manitoba guys approached Valour about purchasing the club, but WFC said no. Improving that relationship would otherwise be the only avenue until the 'talked about' Prairie L1O happens, if it happens.

1 hour ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Wait, we have more than one pro team???

Seriously though, as you said, how much falls under Bombers? That will always be the question when the owners have teams in different sports.

In earlier years when the Blue Bombers accounts were reported online there was a Valour to WFC payment covering admin related expenses and a WFC to Valour payment related to game day revenue streams. I don't think a 950k loss can easily be explained away on that sort of basis. The main reason will be what's blindingly obvious on Onesoccer highlights, i.e. too few paying customers.