Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

20 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I dont remember Cela with forge...maybe Hammer can fill us in on what he is like???  Or I can wait and I'm sure the parrot will post the northerns story on this a day or two from now with lots of extra details.  

I don't think Cela ever played centreback when with Forge, I remember him more as an outside back. He's fast, good on the ball, but I don't remember his defensive ability ever really standing out. Yet again, limited viewings as he hasn't really seen the pitch much as a professional.

Some weird language here. "Return to play" protocol usually refers to a concussion. Otherwise I don't really understand what the difference is between "return to play" and "recovery". Considering the "day-to-day" players are not making the trip to Calgary (per one of the other articles posted above) it looks like Ohin and AJB are in the "not anytime soon" category.

Edited by jonovision

8 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

One can only assume that they were not fit enough for the last match, but will be fit for this weekend.

There is difference between heathy enough to train and healthy enough to play. 

That said, it would be nice to have a few bodies back, especially Samake and Pianelli.

Ok, totally unrelated to the upcoming match or current injuries but, given that ChatGPT is all over YouTube at the moment, I thought it would be funny to ask ChatGPT to suggest a good starting XI for the current Valour side. This is the response:

Goalkeeper:

James Pantemis

Defenders:

Arnold Bouka Moutou (RB)

Andrew Jean-Baptiste (CB)

Rocco Romeo (CB)

Jonathan Sirois (LB)

Midfielders:

Daryl Fordyce (CM)

Brett Levis (CM)

Moses Dyer (CAM)

Forwards:

Austin Ricci (RW)

William Akio (CF)

Jared Ulloa (LW)

This formation allows for attacking flexibility on the wings with Austin Ricci and Jared Ulloa, while William Akio leads the line as the central forward. Moses Dyer can provide creativity and goal-scoring opportunities from the midfield, while the defensive trio of Andrew Jean-Baptiste, Rocco Romeo, and Jonathan Sirois should help to solidify the backline.

Edited by EnigMattic1

2 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Ok, totally unrelated to the upcoming match or current injuries but, given that ChatGPT is all over YouTube at the moment, I thought it would be funny to ask ChatGPT to suggest a good starting XI for the current Valour side. This is the response:

Goalkeeper:

James Pantemis

Defenders:

Arnold Bouka Moutou (RB)

Andrew Jean-Baptiste (CB)

Rocco Romeo (CB)

Jonathan Sirois (LB)

Midfielders:

Daryl Fordyce (CM)

Brett Levis (CM)

Moses Dyer (CAM)

Forwards:

Austin Ricci (RW)

William Akio (CF)

Jared Ulloa (LW)

This formation allows for attacking flexibility on the wings with Austin Ricci and Jared Ulloa, while William Akio leads the line as the central forward. Moses Dyer can provide creativity and goal-scoring opportunities from the midfield, while the defensive trio of Andrew Jean-Baptiste, Rocco Romeo, and Jonathan Sirois should help to solidify the backline.

I mean considering that Chat GPT's data is still limited to 2021 (I think), this is just about the best you could put together. Other than Sirois at LB, but then again, who's to say he'd do badly there if it hasn't been tried?

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

I mean considering that Chat GPT's data is still limited to 2021 (I think), this is just about the best you could put together. Other than Sirois at LB, but then again, who's to say he'd do badly there if it hasn't been tried?

I just thought that Sirois at left back was funny. Wasn't Moutou a left back?

Kind of a silly exercise, and I can't really comment on the non-Valour players here. But it's good to see Gutierrez being recognized. There have been some other notable performances (de Brienne and Niyongabire have had a standout match each) but Diego is really the straw that stirs the drink for Valour. Looking forward to watching him in action close-up on Saturday.

18 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

He was great last year and for some reason people are finally  (outside of Winnipeg) noticing this year.

I put my hand up. I am one of those people. I guess you are easier to notice when you have been almost the best player in the league for the first month of the season.

17 minutes ago, masster said:

I put my hand up. I am one of those people. I guess you are easier to notice when you have been almost the best player in the league for the first month of the season.

The biggest difference is that the departure of Rea and retirement of Fordyce, along with Campbell joining the squad, has allowed Gutierrez to play further forward in what seems like his natural position for the first time since he joined Valour. It's tough to win accolades doing DM duty.

I don't think Diego has played all that much better than in past seasons, just in a more noticeable and arguably more important area of the pitch.

Edited by jonovision

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/were-fighting-for-the-guys-who-arent-able-to-be-on-the-field-with-us

PDS is hoping to have Samake and Mzoughi available tomorrow. I assume that means that the other injured will not be returning quite yet. If that's the case, I believe Valour will have to dress at least one injured player to make up the numbers.

Edited by jonovision