Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

9 minutes ago, jonovision said:

He did make Borges look pretty ordinary. Except for that one time, that resulted in a goal against (although I put most of the blame on that one at the feet of Williams). 

Also Borges always looks ordinary these days. What happened to him?

I think the rest of the league caught up to him. 

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

Don't watch a lot of Forge but I think in comes down to the level of the league has improved dramatically since year 1.  Borges no longer finds those same weak opponents to make him look good.

On 5/14/2023 at 12:38 PM, EnigMattic1 said:

Ok, I have a question. What sort of price do Valour tickets go for? As much as I hate to admit it, I have NEVER been to a game. Mainly because I am in the UK, but even so, I am looking to get over before the end of the season and I have my eye on a couple of games towards the end of the season (depending on time off work).

I'm in 104, think tickets will cost you $35 all in.  Good section in that they cover top of the box to edge of the center circle.  If I can't be behind the goal that's the place for me.

Use your best judgement!  Its a big stand, if it doesn't look close to capacity just by cheap seats and migrate to where you want.  Everybody else does.

19 hours ago, K Edgar said:

I think coaches still consider him a threat. Maybe I'm wrong but there always seems to quickly be 2-3 players on him when he gets the ball. Agreed though, this is not the league we watched in 2019. 

18 hours ago, jonovision said:

He's still only 21. Younger than all but 4 on the current roster, and a similar age to the typical U-Sport draftee. If he manages to turn into a real player having a local kid scoring goals in the team couldn't hurt. Here's hoping he has a good year with FCM.

I suppose, given that he is back in Winnipeg playing for FC Manitoba, he has more chance of Valour noticing him. Given that Valour were quick enough to get Barker on loan when Sirois was ineligible, it would make sense for them to have at least 1 eye on FCM. Can't be any worse than Siaj.

4 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Another week, another match barely more than 24 hours a day without a new injury update. Campbell is out so it would be nice to have Baquero back, never mind the rest. 

https://canpl.ca/article/preview-valour-fc-vs-pacific-fc-2023-match-23

"They are expecting to have Marcello Polisi and Andy Baquero back in the mix for this game after welcoming Jaime Siaj, Eskander Mzoughi, and Jordan Haynes back recently — but Andrew Jean-Baptiste and Raphael Ohin are still at least a few weeks away. Dante Campbell... will also miss out thanks to a one-game suspension."

1. Not 100% accurate as Mzoughi was on the bench last game but not accually available

2. This is implying Valour will have all players but AJB, Ohin, Chandler and Campbell - a bench with all health players would be a 1st this year

3. If truely fully available Baquero (Valour's only decent RB at this time) return would be huge and Polisi (an option in MF other than Rendon during Campbell's absence) also a fairly big deal

4. Does Haynes return push de Brienne further up the field on the left?

41 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

https://canpl.ca/article/preview-valour-fc-vs-pacific-fc-2023-match-23

"They are expecting to have Marcello Polisi and Andy Baquero back in the mix for this game after welcoming Jaime Siaj, Eskander Mzoughi, and Jordan Haynes back recently — but Andrew Jean-Baptiste and Raphael Ohin are still at least a few weeks away. Dante Campbell... will also miss out thanks to a one-game suspension."

1. Not 100% accurate as Mzoughi was on the bench last game but not accually available

2. This is implying Valour will have all players but AJB, Ohin, Chandler and Campbell - a bench with all health players would be a 1st this year

3. If truely fully available Baquero (Valour's only decent RB at this time) return would be huge and Polisi (an option in MF other than Rendon during Campbell's absence) also a fairly big deal

4. Does Haynes return push de Brienne further up the field on the left?

Re #4, I hope that would be an option kept in reserve until later in the match. I don't want to see Haynes playing 90 quite yet.

4 hours ago, jonovision said:

Another week, another match barely more than 24 hours away without a new injury update. Campbell is out so it would be nice to have Baquero back, never mind the rest. 

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/the-challenge-part-fires-me-up-every-game-to-try-and-help-the-team-win-through-goals-and-assists

Different injury report in this article...

"the club hopes to have right back Andy Baquero back soon, while veteran midfielder Marcello Polisi is inching closer to a return"

...this one makes Baquero's return sound doubtful and Polisi still at least a week away.

--------------

In other news:  Valour training camp trialist Alwin Rode signed with FC Manitoba joining Evan Barker as their GK duo.

Edited by K Edgar