The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

16 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

Good. I know Fury ran programs which weren’t as successful as the club and local clubs weren’t on the same page. They also ran some training sessions with clubs but again, the primary development was with the local clubs. It’s more of a way for the pro clubs to become familiar with local talent, sort of a scouting opportunity. Need to get to the point they are more hands on. 

Are the Trident and Wave programs not already the highest level of youth soccer on the island?

1 minute ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

As stated previously, you are going to say it is a success no matter what because it's the league with Canadian in its name and you are CanadaFan123 doing what you no doubt view as your patriotic duty.

And we know you will say we should stick with USSF sanctioned leagues and make the CPL a bus league

29 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If it had really been a phenomenal success, FC Edmonton would not have just folded, the CMNT and CWNT players would view the CSB deal as beneficial, and there would be no hearings in Ottawa right now.

Each of these points is irrelevant. 

FcEd: even successful leagues have franchises that go under.  The failure of the Expos, the Nordiques and the Grizzlies is an indictment of the fan support for those sports in those specific locations - not an indictment of the success of their leagues.   

The views of the players, currently embroiled in a somewhat hostile contractual negotiation, are about as biased as you can get.  No one should take their views as evidence of anything other than their own self interest.   During a divorce, you wouldn’t take the wife’s views of the husband’s merits as gospel…

The hearings have little to do with the success (or not) of the league.  They are a fundamentally about a wage dispute and a contract that parties have issues with.   By most reasonable metrics, CPL has been successful in getting established and significantly expanding opportunities for Canadian soccer players.   The hearings have no bearing on that.

2 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

As stated previously, you are going to say it is a success no matter what because it's the league with Canadian in its name and you are CanadaFan123 doing what you no doubt view as your patriotic duty.

No, I am providing you with clear and unequivocal evidence. 

9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

You may not be bagging on them, but it seems like a pretty drastic change in tone from your previous unilateral declaration that you exclusively support the players position and see no merit in the claims being made by anyone else in this issue (ie. those running the CPL).  All folks are trying to do is convince you that CPL is doing a good job of advancing soccer interests in this country and that they warrant some consideration and respect within this complicated issue.   

Good lord.  I have stated all along I am pro CPL.  You can be both pro NT player and pro CPL.  

I know the league has done a good job of getting off the ground.  No need to convince me.  

Just now, Ottawafan said:

Good lord.  I have stated all along I am pro CPL.  You can be both pro NT player and pro CPL.  

I know the league has done a good job of getting off the ground.  No need to convince me.  

You can be both pro player and pro CPL.  But unless I completely misconstrued your position, you came across at times like you were exclusively behind the players in the context of the money issue and the contract dispute.   Again, people are just trying to show that the issue is more nuanced than that.  

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

You can be both pro player and pro CPL.  But unless I completely misconstrued your position, you came across at times like you were exclusively behind the players in the context of the money issue and the contract dispute.   Again, people are just trying to show that the issue is more nuanced than that.  

Fair enough..  

Just now, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...so we just ignore what happened to FC Edmonton because it doesn't fit the preferred narrative. What you are doing is called cherry picking the data.

No - because it’s irrelevant as others have pointed out to you. Every sports league in history has had teams fold. 

...so we just ignore what happened to FC Edmonton because it doesn't fit the preferred narrative. What you are doing is called cherry picking the data.

Wasn’t what happened in Edmonton largely a result of what happened during their time in American leagues combined with the pandemic?

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I wonder if there was an American fan in 1998 telling people how MLS is terrible and they should have put teams in the Mexican system? Telling people they’re only supporting MLS because they’re patriotic. 

...and on and on with the usual Nationalist drivel. If it is OK for the Toronto team in a sport that people in the media never tire of telling us is central to Canadian identity like hockey to play in a mainly American league nobody needs to apologize for advocating that TFC should do it as well if that's what works better in economic terms.

Just now, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...and on and on with the usual Nationalist drivel. If it is OK for the Toronto team in a sport that people in the media never tire of telling us is central to Canadian identity like hockey to play in a mainly American league nobody needs to apologize for advocating that TFC should do it as well if that's what works better in economic terms.

Kind of sad that you don't understand comparing domestic soccer leagues to NHL is apples and oranges 

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

…says the guy who ignores the failure of teams in otherwise hugely successful leagues that have established global brands as the leaders of their sport.  

But he’s not cherry picking! And forget the fact that the one team that folded was essentially an American brand. We should have gone the American brand route for every team and we wouldn’t have to deal with Canadian players getting so many opportunities. All opportunities should come through MLS if they determine our players worthy. 

Nationalist drivel at pointing out your silliness? And now hockey? 

Whoa… now who is saying this? Talk about moving goal posts. 

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

The one thing I don't understand is if he hates nationalism so much why does he even follow soccer at the national team level?

Any vision he presents is regressive at best. His vision is one where Canadian soccer remains at a grassroots level and the odd token Canadian makes up a squad of foreign players that play in a foreign league. We remain in collective awe over the talents of these foreign players and deride the token Canadians while wondering how the Americans manage to be so much better. Ahhh 2007 was a much better time. 

The absolute best thing would be if Toronto gets a CPL team and has the blizzard naming rights. His head will explode.

Edited by CanadaFan123

Check out the size of TFC crowds vs York 9/United crowds. Some people on here have this arrogant mentality that they are the authentic voice of Canadian soccer fans when they do things like back CanPL in bitter opposition to MLS. Newflash: you are not. You are an unrepresentative fringe. York United eventually figured out that they shouldn't have fixtures that clashed with TFC home games because a significant portion of their very limited fanbase would be at BMO Field instead. The number of people choosing to back York United to the exclusion of rather than in addition to TFC is miniscule.

CanPL could and should have worked closely with MLS for the greater good of Canadian soccer when they launched but the whole impetus for forming the league came out of people within the CSA and provincial soccer associations who had their noses severely out of joint because of what MLS did on elite youth player development so we are where we are with the bizarre CSB deal and hearings in Ottawa to provide a bit of transparency as to how the CSA got into the mess it is currently in and may continue to be in out to 2037...