League1 BC 2022 Season

11 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Oh, I definitely think the timing on the award was wrong. Giving it to the women after they've just lost the championship final and right before a big game for the men is a bit awkward. Still, I think the guy probably could have just kept his mouth shut, quietly accepted it, and moved on.

Definitely agree there. Knowing the right time and place to keep your mouth shut and just smile and nod instead is a skill that some people surprisingly don't have

Edited by rydermike

On 8/3/2022 at 12:15 AM, Watchmen said:

The Juan de Fuca plate was awarded by supporters to Varsity FC, before the men's final. It was awarded to the best club (combined men's and women's record) over the course of the regular season.  Unfortunately, I've heard from a few people now that one of the Varsity men's players was overheard saying essentially it meant nothing to them.  They then lost the final, after the women lost their final earlier.  Karma, I guess?

I wouldn't worry about the behaviour of one ignorant youngster. Not caring about winning the league is a more of a slight against the league than the trophy. That's the breaks when the majority of teams in the young L1BC are summer-season university squads.

Frankly, he's lucky that his unsupported club was even eligible for a supporter-created trophy. It could easily have been restricted to clubs with actual support (e.g. TSS Rovers, Victoria Highlanders, arguably the Whitecaps, etc.).

Edited by Blue and White Army

• 2 months later...
On 10/19/2022 at 7:07 PM, Ansem said:

New club!

Harbourside FC in Nanaimo!

From what I see they'll play at Nanaimo District Secondary, which has a recently installed turf field (below). In that video, they say something about a future "stadium district", and there seemed to be a render with stands, which I don't think the field currently has. Unless the district is already the baseball field and the track nearby.

Pitch is multi-use, meaning a potential problem of ugly CFL lines. Mind you, it is used by CJFL VI Raiders and their season starts late July and is only 5 home games into September--maybe there won't be too much overlap and they can prioritise soccer lines for the L1 season. 

No evidence that this team is connected to Vancouver Island University?

aerial-image-of-ndss-turf-field.jpg

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 10/19/2022 at 1:55 PM, MM3/MM2/MM said:

More expansion teams coming for 2023?

In the article, it says "With this new addition, eight clubs will now compete in 2023, League1 BC’s second season." https://league1bc.ca/video/league1-bc-welcomes-harbourside-football-club-as-newest-license-holder-and-first-ever-expansion-team

So maybe it's just the one expansion club. With that said, wasn't the minimum entrance requirement for the Canadian Championship 14 games, hence why there's reports L1BC won't have a team in the 2023 CC. This would solve that (From July v )

Edited by rydermike

23 hours ago, rydermike said:

In the article, it says "With this new addition, eight clubs will now compete in 2023, League1 BC’s second season." https://league1bc.ca/video/league1-bc-welcomes-harbourside-football-club-as-newest-license-holder-and-first-ever-expansion-team

So maybe it's just the one expansion club. With that said, wasn't the minimum entrance requirement for the Canadian Championship 14 games, hence why there's reports L1BC won't have a team in the 2023 CC. This would solve that (From July v )

When we spoke to the president of League One Canada at the BC final we didn't hear a specific number of games cited as a minimum.

I seem to recall there was a question of how early a season starts, not being able to play an early round if you haven't put a roster together yet. But maybe I just heard something I didn't understand.

On 10/21/2022 at 6:47 PM, rydermike said:

If that is all it is, surely L1BC could figure out a way to play 14 games regardless of the number of teams?

On 10/27/2022 at 7:49 AM, Kingston said:

If that is all it is, surely L1BC could figure out a way to play 14 games regardless of the number of teams?

I think they should play a League Cup knockout tournament alongside the regular season. That would give extra games if it was home and away to start (could be single-game when enough teams are in the league) and it would replace the :playoffs" with something meaningful and enhance the league championship for the top of the regular season table.

Think there was a number of teams in BC complaining in previous years about not being allowed in the Voyageurs Cup.  TSS was one of them, but they worked with BC Soccer to get something needed up an off the ground and now they've been rewarded for it.  Hope the other clubs who didn't join are looking on enviously and their players are asking the tough questions of why they're not involved.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2022 at 10:16 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

From what I see they'll play at Nanaimo District Secondary, which has a recently installed turf field (below). In that video, they say something about a future "stadium district", and there seemed to be a render with stands, which I don't think the field currently has. Unless the district is already the baseball field and the track nearby.

Pitch is multi-use, meaning a potential problem of ugly CFL lines. Mind you, it is used by CJFL VI Raiders and their season starts late July and is only 5 home games into September--maybe there won't be too much overlap and they can prioritise soccer lines for the L1 season. 

No evidence that this team is connected to Vancouver Island University?

aerial-image-of-ndss-turf-field.jpg

That is an old photo. A lot has changed. There are metal stands for about 500 (maybe more?) on the bottom side of the picture. Baseball park has changed immensely.  The plan is for a much larger stadium to surround the field.

https://nanaimonewsnow.com/2021/04/06/nanaimo-eyes-third-st-sports-zone-for-3000-seat-stadium-concept/

• 4 weeks later...