League1 BC 2022 Season

On 4/18/2022 at 1:32 PM, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Thought it was time to start a season specific thread for L1 BC.

After spending 3 seasons in CPL (mostly as a sub) Jose Hernandez moves to Rivers FC for the 2022 season.

https://northerntribune.ca/rivers-fc-jose-hernandez/

I remember being disappointed when Hernandez turned down the Whitecaps offer and went to Pacific, but understood this why he might do it. Has not worked out for him. Best of luck at Rivers.

So as we've seen, all teams except Whitecaps and TSS have university ties. Odd detail, that the Highlanders coaches are from University of Northern BC: did a deal fall through with UVic? 

Also, speculate on ties and even future collaboration between the Langley team and the CPL club. Makes sense, even if it means drawing on the L1BC team for emergency players. 

Do they know where the finals will be played? 

Pleased they are launching women and men together. 

I'd say we need more teams in the TSS model, which is closer to the standard in L1Ontario of academy clubs. But I suspect we'll get a mix with next year's new teams. 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Odd detail, that the Highlanders coaches are from University of Northern BC: did a deal fall through with UVic?

There doesn't appear to be a "deal" or any sort of affiliation between the Highlanders and UNBC. This week we interviewed the coaches of both the men's and women's side for an upcoming spot on Hear the Noise. Both coaches were part of the Highlanders program before taking the jobs at UNBC and they said it was about taking a summer job in Victoria.

The Highlanders will again be playing at UVic's Centennial Stadium and probably sign some Vikes players but I don't see why they need to partner with UVic or why you would ask if a "deal" fell through. Basing teams on University programs and affiliations is a bad plan IMO.

37 minutes ago, ted said:

There doesn't appear to be a "deal" or any sort of affiliation between the Highlanders and UNBC. This week we interviewed the coaches of both the men's and women's side for an upcoming spot on Hear the Noise. Both coaches were part of the Highlanders program before taking the jobs at UNBC and they said it was about taking a summer job in Victoria.

The Highlanders will again be playing at UVic's Centennial Stadium and probably sign some Vikes players but I don't see why they need to partner with UVic or why you would ask if a "deal" fell through. Basing teams on University programs and affiliations is a bad plan IMO.

Thanks for the explanation about the coaches, Ted, glad they have that connection. But why wouldn't the UVic coaches do those jobs, if they are playing at Centennial, when that is the formula for most other teams? 

I wonder if you have been following anything about L1BC, at all. Did you read that last article or are you just responding to me?

For better or worse, over half the teams have university affiliations, they are directly the summer program of the existing university team program.  Previous summer leagues in BC had many such university connections (Mid-Island, as you know), as did former PDL and USLII clubs in BC. Effectively, the model perpetuates the longstanding PDL idea of bringing in university players in the US and Canada for some summer play.

I do agree with you if you are suggesting the model would be better if academy clubs focused on developing younger players were the dominant--or at least a greater-- presence in L1BC, as is the case in Ontario.

But for now we see the university coaches at 3-4 clubs transitioning into being the L1 coaches, and even more are talking about drawing from players (even altitude refers to Capilano players). If you think that is a bad idea then maybe you should tell us how a league with 2 clubs is supposed to work.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

If you want to watch L1BC online this year, it will cost you $60. 😑

So dumb.

Why not just stream a game of the week and use it to leverage interest in the league? It also benefits players who may be more readily scouted if it were an open YT stream, for example. 

If they get more than a few parents and the clubs themselves, maybe 100 subscribers, I'd be surprised. 

On 4/27/2022 at 10:30 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thanks for the explanation about the coaches, Ted, glad they have that connection. But why wouldn't the UVic coaches do those jobs, if they are playing at Centennial, when that is the formula for most other teams?

The Highlanders have RENTED Centennial Stadium for years and never had any formal affiliation with UVic so I don't understand why you are surprised they still don't. Lots of events and sporting organizations rent Centennial Stadium. Do you think all of them should be organized and staffed by UVic?

Going back to the Victoria United days in the mid 90's through to the Highlanders of today, UVic players, coaches, and alumni HAVE been a significant presence. The University however has NEVER been interested in participating officially and IIRC Bruce Wilson specifically was never interested in all his decades of being the man in charge of UVic soccer.

There are also many reasons not to tie L1BC clubs to Universities. Universities are dedicated to producing graduates of academic programs, not professional athletes is the biggest problem. IMO professional development is best left to the professionals.

Anyway, for those interested:

6 hours ago, ted said:

The Highlanders have RENTED Centennial Stadium for years and never had any formal affiliation with UVic so I don't understand why you are surprised they still don't. Lots of events and sporting organizations rent Centennial Stadium. Do you think all of them should be organized and staffed by UVic?

Going back to the Victoria United days in the mid 90's through to the Highlanders of today, UVic players, coaches, and alumni HAVE been a significant presence. The University however has NEVER been interested in participating officially and IIRC Bruce Wilson specifically was never interested in all his decades of being the man in charge of UVic soccer.

There are also many reasons not to tie L1BC clubs to Universities. Universities are dedicated to producing graduates of academic programs, not professional athletes is the biggest problem. IMO professional development is best left to the professionals.

Anyway, for those interested:

I didnt know that about the purpose of universities, Ted. 

On 4/27/2022 at 2:09 PM, Watchmen said:

If you want to watch L1BC online this year, it will cost you $60. 😑

Why not try to monetize immediately? They are providing an entertainment service. Those of us with the means to do so should want to support this. There is a response that people really don't like spending money. This is so true. Programs like these will not survive without drawing revenue. I'm excited to attend the opener at Swangard!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

How would that compare to PCSL and other BC leagues?

Honestly couldn't tell you. I believe the VMSL is usually a few hundred maybe. No idea for PCSL. Other difference is that League 1 is paid entrance, while I believe VMSL is not. The opening crowd might not be indicative of future attendance, but it's still nice to see.

1 hour ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

How would that compare to PCSL and other BC leagues?

Better than any BC League in the last 30 years. Historically speaking, I recall Okanagan getting around those numbers a few times in the PCSL back in the late 90's. Victoria Highlanders in the PDL managed to get better numbers in the first couple of season but would have killed for 600+ at any game after moving out of what became Starlight Stadium.

That said, it's too early get excited as opening day crowds are usually inflated. I hope they can keep those numbers up. A small group of us from Victoria will be making a road trip to Kamloops for the Canada Day Weekend game to add some numbers. :)

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Fantastic crowds, what an optimistic start for L1BC. 

I remember seeing a PCSL match in Vancouver maybe 7-8 years ago and I doubt there were even 50 watching.

Yup. My first thought here is that there has to be at least a few of the VMSL/FVSL/VISL clubs looking on enviously and at least starting to think they made a mistake not getting on board. We know some clubs had already reached out to BC Soccer about joining next year even before the season had kicked off, and nudge some others along. Next step to me is getting more clubs on board, then looking to extend the season.