League1 BC 2022 Season

On 5/30/2022 at 2:08 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Fantastic crowds, what an optimistic start for L1BC. 

I remember seeing a PCSL match in Vancouver maybe 7-8 years ago and I doubt there were even 50 watching.

There were maybe 50 at the opening games for Caps v Highlanders at UBC and a good chunk of those (besides our four) were family from Victoria. 

3 minutes ago, ted said:

There were maybe 50 at the opening games for Caps v Highlanders at UBC and a good chunk of those (besides our four) were family from Victoria. 

What field was that at, one of the Caps training fields, Ted?

As you know, Caps II used to play at Thunderbird, where Varsity will play. But the Caps League I team?

6 minutes ago, ted said:

Its probably still more than the the Nextpro crowds.  

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What field was that at, one of the Caps training fields, Ted?

As you know, Caps II used to play at Thunderbird, where Varsity will play. But the Caps League I team?

It was on Ken Woods Field.which is one of those I believe. There were some small metal "grandstands" on one side and they did try and tart it up with banner/signage on the fence on the opposite side of the field.

The funniest part was the sign on the door of the building that said washrooms would not be available during half-time due to team use. ;)

Overall I'd say "baby steps" and they did OK with nothing. I was told at least some games will be at Thunderbird though.

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Its probably still more than the the Nextpro crowds.  

For sure. Hopefully they wil grow.

We were joking (only partly) that the Southsiders were at the Rovers game which started later than same afternoon. ;)

26 minutes ago, ted said:

It was on Ken Woods Field.which is one of those I believe. There were some small metal "grandstands" on one side and they did try and tart it up with banner/signage on the fence on the opposite side of the field.

The funniest part was the sign on the door of the building that said washrooms would not be available during half-time due to team use. ;)

Overall I'd say "baby steps" and they did OK with nothing. I was told at least some games will be at Thunderbird though.

For sure. Hopefully they wil grow.

We were joking (only partly) that the Southsiders were at the Rovers game which started later than same afternoon. ;)

You'll get to join with the Southsiders and Swanguardians at BC Place for the Panama friendly, if you LSBs and others are still on for it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Juan De Fuca Plate has been awarded by supporters to clubs in the BC usually at the PDL level, but is now being given out to the regular season winners of League 1 BC.  Important note with it now: the winner is the club with the best combined Men's and Women's record.  Varsity FC is the inaugural winner under the new format.

• 2 weeks later...

The League One BC men's final goes Monday, a holiday here, at Swangard. 

The two best teams in the league qualify, Varsity, UBC affiliated, vs TSS Rovers. Women's final goes before, Varsity vs Whitecaps women's Elite. 

Too bad there's no playoffs; semis would put them back a week only or so, you'd get knock out matches, and you wouldn't have midtable teams eliminated so early. 

Assuming the BC L1 winner goes into the '23 Voyageurs Cup, it could mean the return of V-Cup at Swangard, where TSS plays, or a team with this year's crop of UBC players. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Assuming the BC L1 winner goes into the '23 Voyageurs Cup, it could mean the return of V-Cup at Swangard, where TSS plays, or a team with this year's crop of UBC players. 

They might change it, but CSA has previously said the BC L1 winner won't be going to the Voyageurs Cup next year. Apparently want more teams/games before granting the spot.

5 hours ago, Watchmen said:

They might change it, but CSA has previously said the BC L1 winner won't be going to the Voyageurs Cup next year. Apparently want more teams/games before granting the spot.

I suppose I knew that. But maybe the BCSA should be lobbying for the winner to be included. My personal opinion as a Voyageur and original contributor to the Cup is that the participation should be as broad as can reasonably be justified and logistically feasible.

The CSA cancels matches in BC and leaves BC fans high and dry, Bontis flies in as if he's on a Blackhawk in Mogadishu, treating us like a colony, the CSA is threatening the BCSA with desanctioning because the members won't ratify a CSA imposed protocol (for whatever reason). The relationship is not good.

They both let Vancouver and BC Place slide for too long before getting back on track for the World Cup. 

On 7/30/2022 at 1:02 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

The League One BC men's final goes Monday, a holiday here, at Swangard. 

The two best teams in the league qualify, Varsity, UBC affiliated, vs TSS Rovers. Women's final goes before, Varsity vs Whitecaps women's Elite. 

Too bad there's no playoffs; semis would put them back a week only or so, you'd get knock out matches, and you wouldn't have midtable teams eliminated so early. 

Whitecaps women win the women's 2-1 over Varsity. 

Then I went to the men's final well accompanied, TSS Rovers beat Varsity after 1-1, on penalties, 5-4, which we watched close up from the Southside. 

For me the TSS goal, an early penalty call, was a total error from the ref. Varsity fought back 2nd half.

Good crowd perhaps over 1000 for the men, good strong TSS following (they have v good merchandise). Pitch invasion by the TSS kids in uniform, + Swanguardians, lovely to see. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

48 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Whitecaps women win the women's 2-1 over Varsity. 

Then I went to the men's final well accompanied, TSS Rovers beat Varsity after 1-1, on penalties, 5-4, which we watched close up from the Southside. 

For me the TSS goal, an early penalty call, was a total error from the ref. Varsity fought back 2nd half.

Good crowd perhaps over 1000 for the men, good strong TSS following (they have v good merchandise). Pitch invasion by the TSS kids in uniform, + Swanguardians, lovely to see. 

Crowd was announced at 1600.  From my spot, I couldn't tell if the penalty awarded to TSS was an error or not, but you're not the only one I heard say that.

3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Crowd was announced at 1600.  From my spot, I couldn't tell if the penalty awarded to TSS was an error or not, but you're not the only one I heard say that.

That crowd was the combined total of men and women.

When I came in, maybe half an hour before the men's game, I specifically asked how many had come through the gate for the women. And they told me 400. So that sounds right, the ambience was excellent I thought, congrats to all involved.

The Juan de Fuca plate was awarded by supporters to Varsity FC, before the men's final. It was awarded to the best club (combined men's and women's record) over the course of the regular season.  Unfortunately, I've heard from a few people now that one of the Varsity men's players was overheard saying essentially it meant nothing to them.  They then lost the final, after the women lost their final earlier.  Karma, I guess?

I saw that on twitter, but I feel like it's being made a bigger deal than it is. Their goal was to win L1BC, awarding it before the game was a bit of a distraction and the main goal is to win that (similar to how some people don't care about the MLS Supporters Shield).

Plus, the JDP was basically only announced that it would be awarded like three quarters into the season, when Varsity had basically all but wrapped up first place. So on that hand I get not having a connection to winning a trophy you didn't know about. Had it been announced before the season, maybe it would've meant more and provided more unity across the male and female teams which is what it's supposed to do (but maybe was announced too late to do that). 

I get the history of it in BC and feel like players will appreciate it more next year, when it's something they know about and play for from the start. 

2 hours ago, rydermike said:

I saw that on twitter, but I feel like it's being made a bigger deal than it is. Their goal was to win L1BC, awarding it before the game was a bit of a distraction and the main goal is to win that (similar to how some people don't care about the MLS Supporters Shield).

Plus, the JDP was basically only announced that it would be awarded like three quarters into the season, when Varsity had basically all but wrapped up first place. So on that hand I get not having a connection to winning a trophy you didn't know about. Had it been announced before the season, maybe it would've meant more and provided more unity across the male and female teams which is what it's supposed to do (but maybe was announced too late to do that). 

I get the history of it in BC and feel like players will appreciate it more next year, when it's something they know about and play for from the start. 

Oh, I definitely think the timing on the award was wrong. Giving it to the women after they've just lost the championship final and right before a big game for the men is a bit awkward. Still, I think the guy probably could have just kept his mouth shut, quietly accepted it, and moved on.