Mataeo Bunbury

Dominic94

3 hours ago, narduch said:

On the bench tonight for his new club

He came on to make his debut in the 67th minute.  The Legion were up 2-0 when he came on.  Mataeo played pretty well, at one point even drawing a yellow card as he had a defender beat in open space and got taken out. He was solid defensively as well.  Shortly after coming on the pitch, his job helping to close down space in the opponents half, helped lead to a turnover that fellow Canadian Ryan James finished off nicely to make the game 3-0.

22 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

He came on to make his debut in the 67th minute.  The Legion were up 2-0 when he came on.  Mataeo played pretty well, at one point even drawing a yellow card as he had a defender beat in open space and got taken out. He was solid defensively as well.  Shortly after coming on the pitch, his job helping to close down space in the opponents half, helped lead to a turnover that fellow Canadian Ryan James finished off nicely to make the game 3-0.

Solid analysis, I really liked his defensive positioning.  He football IQ is much more advance than I thought.

Bunbury looked nervous and uncertain in last nights match.  As a young player, he needs to be switched on at all times, especially with his defensive responsibilities.  Last week, he was spot-on with his defensive positioning.

On the offensive side, when he touched the ball, I saw the same thing.  He dribbled into conflict and didn't have a plan beyond his first move.  On the positive side, his suddenness on the ball is uncanny.  Hopefully, the coaching staff will work with him in these areas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Find another dual national to moan about nerds...

Don't you worry about that! ;)

You've been around long enough to know that we will never stop!

20 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I would be interested to know what...rule change they are talking about

On 7/6/2022 at 11:16 AM, solsous said:

As far as I know, Mataeo has never lived in Canada...His mom is a full blooded American.  If that goes against FIFA rules, that's up to the CSA.

With today's Herdman grandparent comment, it would seem to make Mataeo even less likely to be eligible.

5 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Don't you worry about that! ;)

You've been around long enough to know that we will never stop!

With today's Herdman grandparent comment, it would seem to make Mataeo even less likely to be eligible.

The "born in" applies to parents as well. 

"b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant association;"

Again, I really don't know the FIFA rules, but it was confirmed that he has his Canadian passport.

My greater concern is re: his development.  He is playing on a USL team that is loaded with flankers.  Therefore, he is not getting quality playing time.  I hope that he is resigned by the Legion and focus becoming a better player.

3 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Aaaaaa his father has citizenship. So no worry there. Its more of the fact that he is playing in the usl that might be a concern 

USLC is probably higher level than Next Pro, where he started the year.

Of course he should be looking to get to a higher level for next year.

15 hours ago, solsous said:

Again, I really don't know the FIFA rules, but it was confirmed that he has his Canadian passport.

My greater concern is re: his development.  He is playing on a USL team that is loaded with flankers.  Therefore, he is not getting quality playing time.  I hope that he is resigned by the Legion and focus becoming a better player.

My understanding is that parental citizenship is not enough it has to be birthplace for FIFA.

6 Nationality entitling players to represent more than one association

1. A player who, under the terms of art. 5, is eligible to represent more than one association on account of his nationality, may play in an international match for one of these associations only if, in addition to having the relevant nationality, he fulfils at least one of the following conditions:

a) He was born on the territory of the relevant association;
              b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant association;
              c) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant association;
              d) He has lived continuously on the territory of the relevant association for at least two years.

Has he ever lived in Canada?

3 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

My understanding is that parental citizenship is not enough it has to be birthplace for FIFA.

1. A player who, under the terms of art. 5, is eligible to represent more than one association on account of his nationality, may play in an international match for one of these associations only if, in addition to having the relevant nationality, he fulfils at least one of the following conditions:

b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant association;
              c) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant association;
              d) He has lived continuously on the territory of the relevant association for at least two years.

That’s been my understanding as well based on the criteria you posted here. Unless Herdman is flat out wrong though, maybe this information is incorrect. Seems crazy though since it’s posted on the official FIFA website.

3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

As far as I know, no.  On the lighter side, at least he will be able to travel to Canada as a citizen.    On the heavier side, I really hope that his default is not the USA.  As for the FIFA thing, that's what too complicated for me.

• 2 months later...