Valour FC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

9 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

I went to the Valour game today. It was my 3rd of the season. The weather was beautiful and attendance was down even more this game.

Watching this team play is monotonous. They backpass every single time and then eventually try to hit a long diagonal which usually doesn't come off.

I was bored out of my tree watching the game today. My girlfriend was too. This team plays very boring soccer and they suck. I'm not surprised that attendance is down. I don't know how the club expects to get fans to return to games.

Yes, Valour scored in the last minute to tie the game, but there's real fan apathy setting in with fans at the stadium and that apathy has already hit the city.

This team has been way more boring than anything I ever attended as a season ticket holder with FC Edmonton from 2013-2015.

The club can advertise all they want, but the product on the field can't be this terrible every game.

Totally agree. There doesn't seem to be the passion that was there last season. They seem to want to play defensive and, without the defensive shield of Ohin, they are lacking the confidence to go forward.

Going back to earlier games this season, when brought on, de Brienne linked up well with Pena and both would run at the opposition down the left. Now, even that threat seems blunt.

Having spent so long with a threadbare squad, a preferred XI isn't apparent. The needless reliance on players who require visas has had a serious negative effect on the squad overall. This has been touched upon briefly in previous posts, but you can't possibly tell me that there aren't players of an equal or greater calibre available in Canada compared to the "imports".

Take a player like Aaron Hidalgo-Mazzei. He has been at every pre season training camp since Valour formed. You can't tell me that he would put in less effort than Ezparza. For him to keep coming back every year, he obviously wants to play for the club.

Morale is low amongst the squad AND the fans. Something needs to change and change fast or the club will start going backwards at an alarming rate.

8 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Totally agree. There doesn't seem to be the passion that was there last season. They seem to want to play defensive and, without the defensive shield of Ohin, they are lacking the confidence to go forward.

Going back to earlier games this season, when brought on, de Brienne linked up well with Pena and both would run at the opposition down the left. Now, even that threat seems blunt.

Agreed, Valour has lost their confidence on offense.  With Rea and Akio I believe the ability is there for the team to be a threat offensively (as was demonstrated in Ottawa).  Perhaps the new midfielders (Rendón and Ascanio) can help with rejuvenating the offense, otherwise it is going to be a long season.  Also, Ohin could return within a month possibly?

De Brienne has not been made in on the field in a number of games.  Coaches have lost confidence in him or he is injured?  Carlos has been getting a lot of minutes lately, great for him, a surprise to many.

8 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Having spent so long with a threadbare squad, a preferred XI isn't apparent. The needless reliance on players who require visas has had a serious negative effect on the squad overall. This has been touched upon briefly in previous posts, but you can't possibly tell me that there aren't players of an equal or greater calibre available in Canada compared to the "imports".

Take a player like Aaron Hidalgo-Mazzei. He has been at every pre season training camp since Valour formed. You can't tell me that he would put in less effort than Ezparza. For him to keep coming back every year, he obviously wants to play for the club.

Morale is low amongst the squad AND the fans. Something needs to change and change fast or the club will start going backwards at an alarming rate.

Disappointed with the last few home performances. Not enjoyable to watch at all. After the game yesterday, I went and watched FC Manitoba play, and the entertainment level was miles better. It is nice to see a team made up almost entirely of locals, including Hidalgo-Mazzei and Barker (who signed a short term deal with Valour). They managed a 0-0 draw with the reigning USL2 champions. Totally agree with your comment about Hidalgo-Mazzei. He has impressed me thus far playing for FC Manitoba, playing both left back and left wing back. Still scratching my head over how he has not been given a chance with Valour, when we wasted an international spot on Esparza. With that being said, there are lots of other local players in this team to keep an eye on. Promoting local players is the way to go... 

38 minutes ago, ValourFury said:

Disappointed with the last few home performances. Not enjoyable to watch at all. After the game yesterday, I went and watched FC Manitoba play, and the entertainment level was miles better. It is nice to see a team made up almost entirely of locals, including Hidalgo-Mazzei and Barker (who signed a short term deal with Valour). They managed a 0-0 draw with the reigning USL2 champions. Totally agree with your comment about Hidalgo-Mazzei. He has impressed me thus far playing for FC Manitoba, playing both left back and left wing back. Still scratching my head over how he has not been given a chance with Valour, when we wasted an international spot on Esparza. With that being said, there are lots of other local players in this team to keep an eye on. Promoting local players is the way to go... 

Last year Valour trialed and turned away another local product, Georges Mukumbilwa, who this year made the Pacific squad.  Opportunity lost.  A few locals could help in marketing the team.

ValourFury - keep us posted on any promising FCManitoba players!

Edited by K Edgar

Watching the highlights from the last game one thing that struck me that I hadn't paid much attention to previously was just how wide the field is that the Valour are playing on. Sometimes that isn't a good thing in terms of the game as a spectacle when the technical ability of the players isn't at the very highest level. Taking it in a few yards might help.

18 hours ago, ValourFury said:

My problem is, I analyse...... A lot. Not just what goes on in the matches, but players in general. Your comment about locals is something I feel strongly about. A local is more inclined to put in an extra 10% for the club than an "international" player. And, going back to Hidalgo-Mazzei, Valour obviously means something to him or he wouldn't keep coming back year after year.

If a player gives his all for the club, he will be rewarded both on and off the pitch (Galan is still thought of VERY highly). Players like that are the players you need to build around, to set an example to the younger players.

Another issue that needs to be addressed is injuries. Yes, some players are more susceptible to injuries than others, but when a large number of injuries are happening on the training pitch as opposed to during a match, questions need to be asked about the training sessions.

I agree with @K Edgar that Mukumbilwa was an opportunity lost (I may be wrong, but I'm sure he has been at a couple of pre season camps). He can operate anywhere down the right and has pace to burn. Even if he didn't start a match, much like de Brienne against Pacific, he could have done some serious damage brought on late in the game. Perfect example of choosing an "international" player over a local product.

York goal was better I think!

I started thinking today about how different game days feel as compared to year 1. Every game that year you got an email asking about the fan experience. I also loved the brass band playing as you walked in that year. WFC really seems to have dropped the ball a bit on the overall atmosphere and I think you can feel it from the stands. Still love going to games but feels like somethings missing (besides wins).

Possibly. It could also be Rendon though. If it is Rendon, from what I've heard, he can play as a holding midfielder and he could do well as cover for Ohin.

I would assume that Ascanio will be pushing Akio for a starting place and, given current form, I think very few players are safe (with the obvious exceptions: Sirois & Rea).

Edited by EnigMattic1

Had a quick look but couldn't find a thread. Can anyone point me in the direction of an updated FC Manitoba squad list? Transfermarkt only has Danto and Paolucci, whereas the USL2 site has them playing in the Heartland Division as opposed to the Deep North Division and they have Artemenko listed as the Keeper with no sign of Barker or Hidalgo-Mazzei who @ValourFurysaid played the other day.

2 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Had a quick look but couldn't find a thread. Can anyone point me in the direction of an updated FC Manitoba squad list? Transfermarkt only has Danto and Paolucci, whereas the USL2 site has them playing in the Heartland Division as opposed to the Deep North Division and they have Artemenko listed as the Keeper with no sign of Barker or Hidalgo-Mazzei who @ValourFurysaid played the other day.

Not what you are looking for, but best I can find...  (Lost 1-4; Greenfeld with the goal)