Valour FC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

3 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Honestly though, did we really need Ponce? Dyer, Akio, Riggi. Hell, even Rea can play up top. And Ricci wanted to stay. 

Could have opted for another defender and a midfielder instead of Ponce and Esparza. 

None of those (Ricci aside) are a true central striker. Whether we need to play with one is another question I suppose, but if that's what Ponce does he fills a hole.

Edited by jonovision

5 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Honestly though, did we really need Ponce? Dyer, Akio, Riggi. Hell, even Rea can play up top. And Ricci wanted to stay. 

One attacking option of the bench would be a good thing!

----------

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/hes-here-finally-one-international-player-down-two-to-go-ponce-arrives-in-winnipeg

"...he comes in fit..." -- who could that be a jab at? 🤣

"The Valour boss also indicated that both players (Ascanio and 29-year-old who started every game for his Colombian first division team last season) have had their visas stamped, and once they are returned from the processing office could be en route to Winnipeg soon after." -- Valour FC could have healthy players on the bench in a couple of weeks.

10 hours ago, K Edgar said:

One attacking option of the bench would be a good thing!

----------

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/hes-here-finally-one-international-player-down-two-to-go-ponce-arrives-in-winnipeg

"...he comes in fit..." -- who could that be a jab at? 🤣

"The Valour boss also indicated that both players (Ascanio and 29-year-old who started every game for his Colombian first division team last season) have had their visas stamped, and once they are returned from the processing office could be en route to Winnipeg soon after." -- Valour FC could have healthy players on the bench in a couple of weeks.

I just can't help but feel like he has signed players in positions that we don't need and is ignoring the fact that our only holding midfielder is out for the season. 

"he comes in fit"? 

Let's see.... Esparza is nowhere near fit, Riggi was carrying a knock, as was Levis (I know he was there last season, but he technically left). 

Edited by EnigMattic1

On 5/18/2022 at 3:34 PM, jonovision said:

On the positive side, a clear sign that AJB is getting closer to full health.

But not enough to make the bench this week.

AJB, Esparza and Ohin not in the lineup... and ReaPonce on the bench.  Carlos get (2nd?) start.

Edited by K Edgar
added Rea to missing list

9 hours ago, K Edgar said:

AJB, Levis, Rea and Esparza are all options.  Only Ohin and Ascanio missing.  First time Valour will get to choose players for the bench.

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/we-know-were-a-team-that-never-stops-never-gives-up-and-always-gives-teams-a-fight-were-preparing-to-work-like-we-always-do

And the mystery Colombian. Which I still can't understand all the secrecy around. 

Moving this conversation from the "Pacific v Valour" thread

Lurker > I didn’t realize there was a spending gap.  Valour is under the cap?

jonovision > Their financials have come out at least once as required due to the public ownership of the Blue Bombers. They under-spent the player budget by a fair margin. And you also only need to look at the roster this year that still isn't filled over a quarter of the way into the season.

Ozzie_the_parrot > Have been strongly rumoured to be since the league launched.

--------------------

I believe the true failure of the Valour FC recruiting has been the import players they have signed.  With few exceptions their import signing have failed to deliver.  And these are in theory the more expensive players.

Navia, Maza, Monge all failed in the VISA processes and only wasted team resources. (Ascanio and the Columbian are in this category to date)

Golubar (injury), Antwi, Soto, Hoyle, Ferguson, Paolucci, Boka (injury), Reyes, Mitter, Ulloa, Galhardo, Arguinarena, Janssens -- could all fall into the failure category, to varying degrees.  (Esparza appears destined to this pile)

That would leave: Galan a success(?); AJB a success but extremely limited by injuries to this point; and Dyer a definite success.

I hear good things about Ponce, but it is too early to judge.

Regardless of the cap this list indicates a huge failure.

On 5/30/2022 at 4:54 PM, K Edgar said:

jonovision > Their financials have come out at least once as required due to the public ownership of the Blue Bombers. They under-spent the player budget by a fair margin. And you also only need to look at the roster this year that still isn't filled over a quarter of the way into the season.

--------------------

I believe the true failure of the Valour FC recruiting has been the import players they have signed.  With few exceptions their import signing have failed to deliver.  And these are in theory the more expensive players.

Navia, Maza, Monge all failed in the VISA processes and only wasted team resources. (Ascanio and the Columbian are in this category to date)

Golubar (injury), Antwi, Soto, Hoyle, Ferguson, Paolucci, Boka (injury), Reyes, Mitter, Ulloa, Galhardo, Arguinarena, Janssens -- could all fall into the failure category, to varying degrees.  (Esparza appears destined to this pile)

That would leave: Galan a success(?); AJB a success but extremely limited by injuries to this point; and Dyer a definite success.

Regarding "import players" disappointing... this applies across the CPL.

Random thoughts...
-Critical home game of playoff contending teams
-Will AJB be available or at Haiti national team camp?
-Carlos has been getting more minutes than Catavolo and DeBrienne recently, rather unexpected by most?
-Dyer is day-to-day, will Ponce get 1st start?
-Can Akio have another game like his last vs Ottawa?
-When will Yesli get a CPL start?  vs Edmonton?

On 5/31/2022 at 8:08 PM, K Edgar said:

OK, correct me if I'm wrong but, according to transfernarkt, this guy hasn't played for ANYONE since the 2018\19 season and PDS still thinks he can be one of the best players in the league? 

On 5/30/2022 at 10:54 PM, K Edgar said:

--------------------

I've said countless times, that there needs to be more focus on Canadian (and, at a push, American) players. Having to wait months for a visa is a joke.

How can you honestly tell me that there isn't players of CPL quality playing in leagues like L1O? Look at some of the players at Guelph, Simcoe and Electric City.

Sure, maybe there is a little favouritism on my part, but I'm still adamant that Artemenko could hold his own in the CPL. But I could also, potentially, make a team of players from L1O and the equivalent, who could perform in the CPL. 

5 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I've said countless times, that there needs to be more focus on Canadian (and, at a push, American) players. Having to wait months for a visa is a joke.

How can you honestly tell me that there isn't players of CPL quality playing in leagues like L1O? Look at some of the players at Guelph, Simcoe and Electric City.

Sure, maybe there is a little favouritism on my part, but I'm still adamant that Artemenko could hold his own in the CPL. But I could also, potentially, make a team of players from L1O and the equivalent, who could perform in the CPL. 

Yesli and Artemenko would be solid GK pair for Valour FC once Montreal stops their loans.  2023?

10 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I've said countless times, that there needs to be more focus on Canadian (and, at a push, American) players. Having to wait months for a visa is a joke...

The players they have been bringing in are not a significant step up from what's available to them in Canada so they should probably just drop the CFL type roster rules and set the import quota at three or something like that similar to what the CSL had back in the day. Quality over quantity would be a better approach on imports.

38 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

OK, correct me if I'm wrong but, according to transfernarkt, this guy hasn't played for ANYONE since the 2018\19 season and PDS still thinks he can be one of the best players in the league? 

???  Has only been without club sine Jan 12, 2022.  Last 3 seasons with Deportivo Pasto.

Jan 1, 2010 Pasto U20
Jan 25, 2013 Deportivo Pasto
Jun 30, 2013 Estudiantes (Argentina - Loan)
Jan 1, 2015 Deportivo Pasto
Jan 1, 2016 Patriotas 
Jul 1, 2018 Leones FC 
Jan 19, 2019 Deportivo Pasto
Jan 12, 2022 Without Club
May 31, 2022 Valour FC

Edited by K Edgar

43 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

???  Has only been without club sine Jan 12, 2022.  Last 3 seasons with Deportivo Pasto.

Jan 1, 2010 Pasto U20
Jan 25, 2013 Deportivo Pasto
Jun 30, 2013 Estudiantes (Argentina - Loan)
Jan 1, 2015 Deportivo Pasto
Jan 1, 2016 Patriotas 
Jul 1, 2018 Leones FC 
Jan 19, 2019 Deportivo Pasto
Jan 12, 2022 Without Club
May 31, 2022 Valour FC

Was a misread on my part then. I am not entirely sure how transfermarkt does things.

That and the fact the website says we still have Soto and Moutou 🙄

I'm still sceptical about the comment "has the potential to be one of the best in the league" though. 

Edited by EnigMattic1

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/its-about-that-one-goal-that-one-moment-that-has-turned-to-the-opposition-we-have-to-find-a-way-of-bringing-it-to-us

-Dyer out (hamstring) ; Riggi day-to-day (ankle); AJB ready to go (didn't or couldn't accept the Haiti call I suppose); Esparza not mentioned

-MF Daniel Ascanio is training with the club, but isn’t yet an option for the club.  “He’s looked good,” said Dos Santos. “He looks sharp, he looks dynamic and he has a lot of good tools, so we’re interested to see how that’s going to develop.”

-Rest of the article is the same old: lost again, but not panicking, it's strong squad... blah, blah, blah... Show us on the field (please)! 

4 hours ago, K Edgar said:

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/its-about-that-one-goal-that-one-moment-that-has-turned-to-the-opposition-we-have-to-find-a-way-of-bringing-it-to-us

-Dyer out (hamstring) ; Riggi day-to-day (ankle); AJB ready to go (didn't or couldn't accept the Haiti call I suppose); Esparza not mentioned

-MF Daniel Ascanio is training with the club, but isn’t yet an option for the club.  “He’s looked good,” said Dos Santos. “He looks sharp, he looks dynamic and he has a lot of good tools, so we’re interested to see how that’s going to develop.”

-Rest of the article is the same old: lost again, but not panicking, it's strong squad... blah, blah, blah... Show us on the field (please)! 

So Ascanio has finally arrived then? You would assume that, as he is in the country and training, the visa has been sorted? 

transfermarkt has adjusted their assessed value of CPL players.  Here are the changes to Valour FC player:

Rea doubled from $165Th to $330Th
Dyer increased $55 from $220Th to $275Th
Sirois increased $55 from $110Th to $165Th
Cebara down $28 from $193Th to $165Th

Also, initial assessment of new players:
Catavolo $110Th
Carlos $84Th
Ascanio $28Th
Barker $11Th

https://www.transfermarkt.us/valour-fc/startseite/verein/67215

47 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

transfermarkt has adjusted their assessed value of CPL players.  Here are the changes to Valour FC player:

Rea doubled from $165Th to $330Th
Dyer increased $55 from $220Th to $275Th
Sirois increased $55 from $110Th to $165Th
Cebara down $28 from $193Th to $165Th

Also, initial assessment of new players:
Catavolo $110Th
Carlos $84Th
Ascanio $28Th
Barker $11Th

https://www.transfermarkt.us/valour-fc/startseite/verein/67215

Rea, Dyer and Sirois will be based on last seasons performance and Cebara's will factor age into it. Sad fact is, I'm in the UK and, as far as Transfermarkt are concerned, those players are worth peanuts.

I mean, I understand the reasoning behind the values as that would be calculated on factors such as Previous performance, Age, Quality of current league, International status and Homegrown status. Which, sadly, is why you see certain players and wonder why the f**k their team paid that much for them.

I went to the Valour game today. It was my 3rd of the season. The weather was beautiful and attendance was down even more this game.

Watching this team play is monotonous. They backpass every single time and then eventually try to hit a long diagonal which usually doesn't come off.

I was bored out of my tree watching the game today. My girlfriend was too. This team plays very boring soccer and they suck. I'm not surprised that attendance is down. I don't know how the club expects to get fans to return to games.

Yes, Valour scored in the last minute to tie the game, but there's real fan apathy setting in with fans at the stadium and that apathy has already hit the city.

This team has been way more boring than anything I ever attended as a season ticket holder with FC Edmonton from 2013-2015.

The club can advertise all they want, but the product on the field can't be this terrible every game.