2021 Voyageurs Player of the Year

Shway

This is to vote the best Canadian Men's National Team Player by the Voyageurs of the Year.
This is based on the 2021 Calendar Year.

The rules are as follows:

• The deadline for submissions is 12:01 AM (Pacific) January 1st, New Years Day 2022.
  • Select your ranking in the respective options of first, second, and third.
  • A point system is used to calculate a players points total at the completion of polling:

5 points for a 1st place selection
                3 points for a 2nd place selection
                1 point for a 3rd place selection

• The player with the highest final aggregate total will be declared the Voyageurs International Player of the Year.
  • Only one submission per person.
  • For a player to be eligible for the Voyageurs International Player of the Year the player must have been selected for a Canadian international in the past year.

Click the image or here to vote

Edited by Shway

@ShwayI believe you have the wrong stats listed for Jonathan David's 2021 club stats. I think you've used his 2020-2021 seasons stats. There may be others but that one jumped out at me.

This vote is going to be crazy tough. Normally I'd vote right now because it would be so obvious but we have to wait and see how December plays out.

4 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

@ShwayI believe you have the wrong stats listed for Jonathan David's 2021 club stats. I think you've used his 2020-2021 seasons stats. There may be others but that one jumped out at me.

This vote is going to be crazy tough. Normally I'd vote right now because it would be so obvious but we have to wait and see how December plays out.

I did that on purpose as that would be considered the "2021" season for his club. I only used 2021 for the national team. It's based on season, and not just calendar year for the clubs. It would be unfair to mix in results of two seasons for the European guys IMO - but this is "our" vote, and I'l change it if thats the general consensus. 

Edited by Shway

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

I did that on purpose as that was the 2021 season for his club. But only 2021 for the national team.

It would be unfair to mix in results of two seasons for the European guys IMO - but this is "our" vote, and I'l change it if thats the general consensus. 

Normally that's how it's done (i.e. for Ballon D'or). It's only fair if you're using their 2021 national team stats to use the same club stats. It would be unfair to exclude his start to his club season especially. He has 23 club goals this year. 

Also, if you're going to show stats I wouldn't keep it to just the league. I.e. Buchanan had 10 goals this season if you include his MLS playoff goal, which was arguably his biggest club goal of this season. Ditto for guys in the Champions League etc.

Edited by CanadaFan123

6 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Normally that's how it's done (i.e. for Ballon D'or). It's only fair if you're using their 2021 national team stats to use the same club stats. It would be unfair to exclude his start to his club season especially. He has 23 club goals this year. 

Also, if you're going to show stats I wouldn't keep it to just the league. I.e. Buchanan had 10 goals this season if you include his MLS playoff goal, which was arguably his biggest club goal of this season. Ditto for guys in the Champions League etc.

Done. realized that's how it was done previous years as well didn't mean to switch things up. I'll update it, and add when the teams go on their breaks. (now this thread may have been overzealous 😁 - forgive me)

Edited by Shway

Could you fix the name of Stephen Eustaquio, thanks. 

I voted David, Eustaquio and Davies. David for the unusual club year, winning Ligue 1 and now on a good scoring pace for them--and for us. Though he is not the player I most enjoy watching.

Eustaquio for his influence for our NT, extraordinary--over and above club results.

And Davies because if I did not put him first I was just trying to mix things up a bit. Let's face it, the standard is higher for a player like that.

Just out of the podium, because he also made a fine Olympic qualifying contribution, Tajon, as well as for his season. Probably the keepers and Vitoria would come next.

Seeing we are sharing our votes...

1. Larin - Tied the All Time CMNT scoring record. Broke the record for CMNT goals in a calendar year. Scored 2 goals in the most iconic CMNT game in a long time, perhaps ever. Won the League and Cup with Besiktas in Turkey. Golden boot runner up in Turkish Super Lg. Clear choice for me.
  2. Eustaquio - Subjective, but for me was the most impactful CMNT player in 2021. Earned the most caps with Canada by my count, tied only with (by my count).....
  3. Johnston - For me the 2nd most impactful CMNT player in 2021 over the course of the entire year. He never put a foot wrong in his 18 CMNT games, and while players like Davies, David and Buchanan were more impactful on the offensive end, Johnston gave the team the flexibility to change shape, which ultimately helped us win many games. 

Honorable mentions: Davies (Bundesliga winner, most dangerous attacker), David (Ligue 1 winner, 2nd in CMNT scoring), Buchanan (SS winner in New England, MLS Allstar, MLS team of the season, GC All-star team, GC Best young playe.....on second thought, can I revoke my Johnston or Eustaquio votes?), and finally Hutchinson for breaking the cap record.

Edit: Wasn't intentional, but I just noticed the common theme of my 3 picks were that they played in both WCQ and the Gold Cup.

Edited by Obinna

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

1. Larin - Tied the All Time CMNT scoring record. Broke the record for CMNT goals in a calendar year. Scored 2 goals in the most iconic CMNT game in a long time, perhaps ever. Won the League and Cup with Besiktas in Turkey. Golden boot runner up in Turkish Super Lg. Clear choice for me.
  2. Eustaquio - Subjective, but for me was the most impactful CMNT player in 2021. Earned the most caps with Canada by my count, tied only with (by my count).
  3. Johnston - For me the 2nd most impactful CMNT player in 2021 over the course of the entire year. He never put a foot wrong in his 18 CMNT games, and while players like Davies, David and Buchanan were more impactful on the offensive end, Johnston gave the team the flexibility to change shape, which ultimately helped us win many games. 

Honorable mentions: Davies (Bundesliga winner, most dangerous attacker), David (Ligue 1 winner, 2nd in CMNT scoring), Buchanan (SS winner in New England, MLS Allstar, MLS team of the season, GC All-star team, GC Best young playe.....on second thought, can I revoke my Johnston or Eustaquio votes?), and finally Hutchinson for breaking the cap record.

There's so many good choices... for me any of those players (maybe not Hutch) deserves to me the player of the year

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

2. Eustaquio - Subjective, but for me was the most impactful CMNT player in 2021. Earned the most caps with Canada by my count, tied only with (by my count).

Great example of everyone having their opinion on how to weight your votes. These are great pics and appreciate your thinking behind them, but for me I don't think it's fair to set expectations for players (You never mentioned this in your explanation as UT did, but that's the only conclusion I can draw). Davies is the best, period! His high expectations shouldn't effect how he's voted on. His goal against Panama literally changed our Qualifying campaign, which up until then was pretty Ho-hum. You made a good case for your 3 picks but how can Davies not be at least in your top three?

11 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Great example of everyone having their opinion on how to weight your votes. These are great pics and appreciate your thinking behind them, but for me I don't think it's fair to set expectations for players (You never mentioned this in your explanation as UT did, but that's the only conclusion I can draw). Davies is the best, period! His high expectations shouldn't effect how he's voted on. His goal against Panama literally changed our Qualifying campaign, which up until then was pretty Ho-hum. You made a good case for your 3 picks but how can Davies not be at least in your top three?

Good question.

Hard to leave the undisputed best player on the team (if not the region) off my list, but you are precisely right. I did take into account his high expectations. I see how that's unfair, but that's what I chose to do with my vote. 

But putting the high expectations for Davies aside, he never played in the Gold Cup, which isn't his fault obviously, but that's a strike against when I look at another equally deserving player who never made my list (Buchanan) and consider the accolades he racked up in that tournament. 

And just as that moment against Panama was massive for our Qualifying campaign, Tajon's goal against Mexico was massive for our program as a whole.

Even more than the CR win, that was arguably the moment when people starting taking us seriously. 

Edited by Obinna

I viewed this on impact on the National Team over the 2021 year and went with:

1. Eustaquio -- guy barely missed a game, has become arguably the centerpiece of our team, and participated in pretty much every WCQ and Gold Cup match. His influence on our national team cannot be overstated. 

2. Larin -- goals goals goals, need I say anything else? 

3. Davies -- not much to be said. Es ALPHONSO DAVIES Hermano! If it comes down to simply best player, he wins it 100/100 times. But if its player of the year, the two above him are more deserving in my opinion.

Honourable Mentions go to: Johnston, Vitoria, and Borjan for their importance to our squad. Johnston and Vitoria have more or less shown that they're irreplaceable in the lineup. Yes you could argue Borjan vs. Crepeau, but without Borjans saves against Honduras and Mexico, our point total could be looking very different. 

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Good question.

Hard to leave the undisputed best player on the team (if not the region) off my list, but you are precisely right. I did take into account his high expectations. I see how that's unfair, but that's what I chose to do with my vote. 

But putting the high expectations for Davies aside, he never played in the Gold Cup, which isn't his fault obviously, but that's a strike against when I look at another equally deserving player who never made my list (Buchanan) and consider the accolades he racked up in that tournament. 

And just as that moment against Panama was massive for our Qualifying campaign, Tajon's goal against Mexico was massive for our program as a whole.

Even more than the CR win, that was arguably the moment when people starting taking us seriously. 

Great response. I forgot Davies missed the Gold Cup, but just like I weigh Country over Club, I also weigh WCQ over Gold Cup. Starting to think we should have done Top 5 this year!