MLS Stadium thread

Macksam

• 1 month later...

The esthetics of BMO field got partially ruined when they had to accomodate the CFL dimensions.   Prior to tthat, there were normal looking North end stands which gave it more of an enclosed feel.  Yes, the stands were add-ons but it looked like a stadium.   Now with that totally open look, it does look 1970’s CFL’ish

Edited by Free kick

Mixed feelings on BMO.  Started out as some cheap metal bleachers and got some polish.  Currently a bit of a Frankenstein structure. 

Will be interesting to see what happens for the World Cup.  I assume there will be a new North stand to reach 40k capacity.  

Ideally there would be a renovated Lamport for the Argos and Rugby

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 2:54 PM, MtlMario said:

And we can't even move a fu*king hydro pole! WTF!

Like seriously what is going on with the hydro pole scenario, it’s crazy that going into the 3rd season it’s still a thing, it’s crazy. What’s the hold up? New stadiums have been built as we are seeing in the MLS in the past 3 years and here the hydro pole it’s still an issue lol. What are we in a third world country where things move at a snails place because of corruption and  what not ? What am I missing here ? They have one of the nicest stadiums in the league but this hydro pole is still an issue after three years and holding back completion of this really nice stadium.

On 1/30/2021 at 1:52 PM, SoccMan said:

Ya some of these new stadiums are making BMO Field look so obsolete unfortunately, so 1970’s CFL stadium design lol oh well.

I think all three Canadian MLS sides will need proper upgrades once MLS reaches its vision and becomes a top league. 

I have been to all three of the canadian MLS stadium for at least one game.   
here is my critique:

BC Place:  has a big game feel when you are inside.  Nice amenities and definitely has more spacious feel especially with the more roomy concourse.   Surounding areas (neighborhood) are very good.   

What i dont like is the sightline due to the incline (angle) of the stands,  they are too flat (ie.: not step enough) and this means that you always feel much farther from the action compared to BMO field.  

Saputo stadium:   Its been a while since i have been there but here is goes anyways.  Plusses:  unlike BC Place, its a soccer specific stadium with natural grass.  Sightlines are better than BC place, but there is no upper deck like BMO.  Its right on the subway line, means it has the best location  advantage over the other two.  
What i dont like is:   it struck me right away (when i went to see it when its was still a construction site) is that it was a big minus to not build an upper deck because it would mean that the games on television would look less than professional.  And they do look less than professional because there isnt that great panoramic overhead view that you expect from a big league game. Televised games at Saputo look like third division.  You need an upper desk, to put the cameras there. Also, Unless they have changed, the concourses look like High school or CIS-like.  In this regard, a total constrast from BC place.  

BMO field:   Plusses:  There isnt a bad seat in the house.   You feel close to action regardless of where your seat is and the games look good on TV because there is an upper deck to position the TV camera.  Unlike Saputo stadium, televised games at BMO look like a truly professional game.  Amenities/concourses etc,  are good to not bad.  Not quite BC place IMHO but much much better than Saputo.  
what i dont like is:   Location, location location.   Unless you live directly downtown or far away in the burbs along the lakeshore GO line, it takes too long to get there regardless of your commuting choices.  You have to make too many transit routes changes so you commuting times are terrible.  Parking and congestion is living hell.  The streetcars are too slow and make too many stops etc.   

Edited by Free kick

6 hours ago, Free kick said:

I have been to all three of the canadian MLS stadium for at least one game.   
here is my critique:

BC Place:  has a big game feel when you are inside.  Nice amenities and definitely has more spacious feel especially with the more roomy concourse.   Surounding areas (neighborhood) are not bad.   

What i dont like is the sightline due to the incline (angle) of the stands,  they are too flat (ie.: not step enough) and this means that you always feel much farther from the action compared to BMO field.  

Saputo stadium:   Its been a while since i have been there but here is goes anyways.  Plusses:  unlike BC Place, its a soccer specific stadium with natural grass.  Sightlines are better than BC place, but there is no upper deck like BMO.  Its right on the subway line, means it has the best location  advantage over the other two.  
What i dont like is:   it struck me right away (when i went to see it when its was still a construction site) is that it was a big minus to not build an upper deck because it would mean that the games on television would look less than professional.  And they do look less than professional because there isnt that great panoramic overhead view that you expect from a big league game. Televised games at Saputo look like third division.  You need an upper desk, to put the cameras there. Also, Unless they have changed, the concourses look like High school or CIS-like.  In this regard, a total constrast from BC place.  

I find the bolded bits interesting. I've never been to Saputo, but I find it hard to imagine that it has a more favourable location than BC Place, which is a 5-10 minute walk from the hospitality precincts of Granville/Robson, Yaletown, and Gastown, has a Skytrain station outside the entrance, and is surrounded by parking.

5 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I find the bolded bits interesting. I've never been to Saputo, but I find it hard to imagine that it has a more favourable location than BC Place, which is a 5-10 minute walk from the hospitality precincts of Granville/Robson, Yaletown, and Gastown, has a Skytrain station outside the entrance, and is surrounded by parking.

You are right.  I will concede that you.   
when i said of SS that“.... it has the best location advantage...”, my thoughts were influenced by the fact that some posters over years have complained about the location of Stade Saputo; suggesting that it is main reason why attendance isnt better.  However it is right on the Metro line.   Unlike say, Chicago Fire (before moving out of The deep suburbs). 

Edited by Free kick

18 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

The Skytrain is huge for me.  As a visitor to Vancouver, it gives me some flexibilty for accommodations when I can ride the Skytrain right near the stadium doorstep.  And those hosptiality areas you mentioned are a big plus on game day, as well.

On 3/13/2021 at 10:09 PM, Free kick said:

BMO field ... what i dont like is:   Location, location location.   Unless you live directly downtown or far away in the burbs along the lakeshore GO line, it takes too long to get there regardless of your commuting choices.

It's only one stop from Union, which is considered one of the best places to get to from anywhere in the city. Though that will work better when they've got every 15-minute service on the Lakeshore for evenings/weekends like they do during the day.

But you'll be happy that work on the new subway station next to BMO Field (and a new pedestrian bridge over the GO tracks) starts this summer - http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/ep/bgrd/backgroundfile-164300.pdf

Edited by nfitz

When I go to BMO I always park across the tracks in Liberty Village, never have a problem finding parking, I go early and get a drink or something to eat, sometimes slow getting out but never overly so.

Happy about the overpass, better to avoid the "aromas" of the tunnel.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

3 hours ago, nfitz said:

It's only one stop from Union, which is considered one of the best places to get to from anywhere in the city. Though that will work better when they've got every 15-minute service on the Lakeshore for evenings/weekends like they do during the day.

But you'll be happy that work on the new subway station next to BMO Field (and a new pedestrian bridge over the GO tracks) starts this summer - http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/ep/bgrd/backgroundfile-164300.pdf

Problem is.  You could have to wait up to 15 minutes to get on the the streetcar at Union.  Its often packed with people and there are different streetcars routes servicing the same station stop which can create some chaos.   Add this to the fact you just got off the subway or GO train.    Thats not a rapid tranfer.    If the weather is decent i dont bother anymore and just load the bike instead on the subway.  You get there much much faster by bike.  

interestingly,  one time,  i had to come in from Mississauga with a group.   It was the perfect commute.  Park at the GO station, get on the GO train and get off right at BmO field.  It might have taken 20 mins.  The total commute time was way shorter than it is for anyone living North of Bloor. 

i agree,  the new station will be the savior.  But by the time that line gets built,  they will probably be looking for a new stdium.

Edited by Free kick

On 3/16/2021 at 12:08 PM, MM3/MM2/MM said:

When I go to BMO I always park across the tracks in Liberty Village, ........... sometimes slow getting out but never overly so.

Its Hell getting out of Liberty village by car after a game!    ;)  Just curious, but how often do you guys go?   From the parking lots, there is only one direction where all the cars can go.  And thats towards Dufferin.   All the trafific flows towards the intersetion of King and Dufferin. Cause thats pretty much the only way out.    So its complete and total gridlock.   You could be there for an hour stopped in your car advancing 50 metres every five minutes.   To add insult to injury, about 3-4 years ago the parking rates really increased. 

Edit.:  i was being generous when i said that you will advance something 50 metres every five minutes.  It has taken me over an hour to get out Liberty Village by car after a TFC game.

Edited by Free kick

18 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Problem is.  You could have to wait up to 15 minutes to get on the the streetcar at Union.  Its often packed with people and there are different streetcars routes servicing the same station stop.

Which is why there's a $billion plan to rebuild the Union streetcar stop, with the end result of 4 platforms instead of 1.

But surely most people when they get to Union, change to subway or another GO train.

19 minutes ago, Free kick said:

interestingly,  one time,  i had to come in from Mississauga with a group.   It was the perfect commute.  Park at the GO station, get on the GO train and get off right at BmO field.  It might have taken 20 mins.  The total commute time was way shorter than it is for anyone living North of Bloor. 

Well, there's always York 9, whose stadium is right next to Pioneer Village subway station.

From the north, I prefer the Ossington bus myself.

23 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Which is why there's a $billion plan to rebuild the Union streetcar stop, with the end result of 4 platforms instead of 1.

But surely most people when they get to Union, change to subway or another GO train.

Well, there's always York 9, whose stadium is right next to Pioneer Village subway station.

From the north, I prefer the Ossington bus myself.

I have tried them all.  Trust me.  Ossington bus,  Dufferin Bus,   bathurst street car,  Union streetcar,   The car,   The Go train etc .    Its only with the bike that i can there in 45 mins.   Every other option is over an hour.   Several are an hour and a half.  One hour or hour and a half each way for a commute, is just way too long.    Especially if you are a season ticket hold and have to go there 12-15 times a year.

edit:  basically,  you spend more time commuting to game than the time it takes to play the game.

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

I have tried them all.  Trust me.  Ossington bus,  Dufferin Bus,   bathurst street car,  Union streetcar,   The car,   The Go train etc .    Its only with the bike that i can there in 45 mins.   Every other option is over an hour.   Several are an hour and a half.  One hour or hour and a half each way for a commute, is just way too long.    Especially if you are a season ticket hold and have to go there 12-15 times a year.

28 minutes ago, gator said:

When going to BMO I take the Lakeshore West GO Train from Aldershot or Hamilton, it probably doesn't take me much longer than fans travelling in the GTA!

Yes,  you have it much easier than people who live in the city.  In fact, its faster to get there from Hamilton than for someone who lives in the city outside the downtown core.

Edited by Free kick