November friendlies

spitfire

8 hours ago, BigMo said:

Second of Jamaica's two friendlies today with Saudi Arabia. They won 2-0, but played their A team against Saudi's Olympic squad.  Lost the first friendly between evenly matched squads. 

Damn a lot of inconsistencies in this post. They won 2-1. Saudis rotates their squad, and not once did they have a team close to be an Olympic squad. 

I watched both games.

First game was basically USL and RSPL (Jamaican League) players albeit Daniel Johnson and the better guys were brought late on in the game. They were actually playing better than the Saudis but had defensive lapses that were taken advantage of. Second game they controlled the game, but again shown weakness in defence.

Damion Lowe, is the epitome of Canada’s Doneil Henry. Good for a mistake.

My overall thoughts on Jamaica from watching the contrasting two games is they have a squad big enough to compete with Mexico and USA. They need to work on being disciplined in their defensive shape. However it wasn’t their full squad as Adrian Marriappa, and Chey Dunkley will definitely help strengthen the back line and there was a few guys that got COVID (Shamar Nicholson and Junior Flemings) , and some guys weren’t available (Kemar Roofe, Alvas Powell, Corey Burke)

Like Panama, it was good for the coaches to see which players from their home leagues will be able to strengthen their pool for the gruelling schedule to come. 

8 minutes ago, Shway said:

Damn a lot of inconsistencies in this post. They won 2-1. Saudis rotates their squad, and not once did they have a team close to be an Olympic squad. 

I watched both games.

First game was basically USL and RSPL (Jamaican League) players albeit Daniel Johnson and the better guys were brought late on in the game. They were actually playing better than the Saudis but had defensive lapses that were taken advantage of. Second game they controlled the game, but again shown weakness in defence.

My overall thoughts on Jamaica from watching the contrasting two games is they have a squad big enough to compete with Mexico and USA. They need to work on being disciplined in their defensive shape. However it wasn’t their full squad as Adrian Marriappa, and Chey Dunkley will definitely help strengthen the back line and there was a few guys that got COVID (Shamar Nicholson and Junior Flemings) , and some guys weren’t available (Kemar Roofe, Alvas Powell, Corey Burke)

Like Panama, it was good for the coaches to see which players from their home leagues will be able to strengthen their pool for the gruelling schedule to come. 

I bet Shamar Nicholson flies under the radar for a lot of Canadian fans. Probably for a lot of concacaf fans too. I have only seen him play a few times, but from what I have seen of him with Jamaican he is really good. His resume at the club level is impressive as well. His goal rate in the Belgian Pro League is similar to Cyle Larin's, except he is two years younger. Despite that, his name really doesn't come up for emerging concacaf talent, but I think people just haven't taken notice yet. 

What do you make of him?

Edited by Obinna

8 hours ago, Shway said:

I watched both games.

This exactly. The thing people don't get when they are saying "we wouldn't have an A squad" don't realize is that with the congestion to come, we are likely never to have an A squad. Herdman has used very few players relative to the size of our pool thus far and now we may be in a situation where we are handing starts to players new to the program (or out for some time) in crucial matches. 

Look at Eustaquio for instance, he is arguably our best midfielder and has just what 20 minutes to his name? Now we are going to start playing crucial matches and all will be well? This isn't a video game. We should be playing matches and bringing in who we can. This window would have been perfect for many reasons and we had a massive pool to choose from.

15 hours ago, Obinna said:

I bet Shamar Nicholson flies under the radar for a lot of Canadian fans. Probably for a lot of concacaf fans too. I have only seen him play a few times, but from what I have seen of him with Jamaican he is really good. His resume at the club level is impressive as well. His goal rate in the Belgian Pro League is similar to Cyle Larin's, except he is two years younger. Despite that, his name really doesn't come up for emerging concacaf talent, but I think people just haven't taken notice yet. 

What do you make of him?

You're definitely right, that he's slept on in Concacaf....but to no surprise, because if you're not American, Mexican or the few outliers in Davies, David, and Bailey then chances are you aren't being talked about until you make "big" move. He's definitely an emerging talent, that I think won't be in Belgium for long. His size, and pace makes him great in the air and he's very versatile as he plays as a 9 and a winger. 

7 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

This exactly. The thing people don't get when they are saying "we wouldn't have an A squad" don't realize is that with the congestion to come, we are likely never to have an A squad. Herdman has used very few players relative to the size of our pool thus far and now we may be in a situation where we are handing starts to players new to the program (or out for some time) in crucial matches. 

Look at Eustaquio for instance, he is arguably our best midfielder and has just what 20 minutes to his name? Now we are going to start playing crucial matches and all will be well? This isn't a video game. We should be playing matches and bringing in who we can. This window would have been perfect for many reasons and we had a massive pool to choose from.

The sad reality is that it's highly possible that we could see a completely different starting XI from what we'll see in January to the what we'll see for the first WCQ game.... if the camp poutine happens. Crazy. 

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

The sad reality is that it's highly possible that we could see a completely different starting XI from what we'll see in January to the what we'll see for the first WCQ game.... if the camp poutine happens. Crazy. 

Unless you're saying that all 11 players will be different, I'm not sure why it's sad that Canada will use a completely different side for WCQ than it does for friendlies on a non-FIFA date.

3 minutes ago, RS said:

Unless you're saying that all 11 players will be different, I'm not sure why it's sad that Canada will use a completely different side for WCQ than it does for friendlies on a non-FIFA date.

Because our starting line up won't get reps together ahead of the WCQ. Not ideal.

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Because our starting line up won't get reps together ahead of the WCQ. Not ideal.

Ok, but that has nothing to do with any potential Camp Poutine. Any January roster was always going to look different from one in March.

I'm not going to go around this carousel again (even in light of the rapidly growing list of positive COVID cases among players who took part in this international break), but the gap between the official November to March breaks always makes thing less than ideal in this context. At the rate things are going, WCQ won't start in March anyway.

So December/January domestic camps: 

GK: 

Pantemis, St. Clair, Carducci

D

Laryea, Johnston, Brault-Guillard, Gutierrez(?), Miller, Waterman, Cornelius, Jakovic, Montgomery

MF

Piette, Kaye, Fraser, Tiebert

AM

Osorio, Buchanan, Marshall-Rutty, Nelson, Bair

FW: 

Cavallini, Akinola, Akindele

Just now, One American said:

So December/January domestic camps: 

GK: 

Pantemis, St. Clair, Carducci

D

Laryea, Johnston, Brault-Guillard, Gutierrez(?), Miller, Waterman, Cornelius, Jakovic, Montgomery

MF

Piette, Kaye, Fraser, Tiebert

AM

Osorio, Buchanan, Marshall-Rutty, Nelson, Bair

FW: 

Cavallini, Akinola, Akindele

Bair at AM?

Yup Baldisimo is a must for the next domestic camp, whenever it will be. Buchanan is another one who has to be there. Same for Johnston.

1. - Carducci - Cavalry / CPL
  2. - Crepeau - Vancouver / MLS
  3. - St Clair - Minnesota United / MLS
  4. - Miller - Orlando / MLS
  5. - Laryea Toronto / MLS
  6. - Brault-Guillard Montreal / MLS
  7. - Waterman - Montreal / MLS
  8. - Farsi - Cavalry / CPL
  9. - Johnston - Nashville / MLS
  10. - Zator - Cavalry / CPL
  11. - Didic - Edmonton / CPL
  12. - Cornelius - Vancouver / MLS
  13. - Jakovic - Los Angeles / MLS
  14. - Bustos - Pacific / CPL
  15. - Bekker - Forge / CPL
  16. - Fraser - Toronto / MLS
  17. - Priso - Toronto / MLS
  18. - Chapman - Inter Miami / MLS
  19. - Osorio - Toronto / MLS
  20. - Kaye - Los Angeles / MLS
  21. - Piette - Montreal / MLS
  22. - Shome - Montreal / MLS
  23. - Baldisimo - Vancouver / MLS
  24. - Buchanan - New England / MLS
  25. - Edwards - Minnesota / MLS
  26. - Bair - Vancouver / MLS
  27. - Cavallini - Vancouver / MLS
  28. - Akindele - Orlando / MLS
  29. - Akinola - Toronto / MLS
  30. - Nelson - Toronto / MLS

That's right. Big 30-man camp. Let's get it done.

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, RS said:

Ok, but that has nothing to do with any potential Camp Poutine. Any January roster was always going to look different from one in March.

I'm not going to go around this carousel again (even in light of the rapidly growing list of positive COVID cases among players who took part in this international break), but the gap between the official November to March breaks always makes thing less than ideal in this context. At the rate things are going, WCQ won't start in March anyway.

It seems as if you brought out the CSA defence shield, because you totally are neglecting the points that I mentioned:

1. Other Concacaf teams have been able to rotate, blood in new players from the October & November windows in which they have deepened their pool of players. This a clear benefit for when WCQ come around regardless of the when, they have an idea on who the guys might be based on recent results and friendlies. 
  2. Yes the reality that the best XI would've always been different....but I guess the main point that our best XI would have not played with each other in over a year and while immediately having to go into must-win game situations, is something you foresee not being issue. 

And again no one made any mention of Covid, but you brought the horse and shield out.
I'm starting to think you work for the CSA, or just like to ride with their blinders. 

Its a pretty decent squad. I would also say perhaps with positive developments as of late maybe some of the recent inactivity was a more better safe than sorry approach. If they start to project revenue streams re opening in the not so distant future perhaps they'll be more willing to open the purse strings 

31 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yup Baldisimo is a must for the next domestic camp, whenever it will be. Buchanan is another one who has to be there. Same for Johnston.

1. - Carducci - Cavalry / CPL Triston Henry - Forge/ CPL
  2. - Crepeau - Vancouver / MLS  
  3. - St Clair - Minnesota United / MLS
  4. - Miller - Orlando / MLS
  5. - Laryea - Toronto / MLS
  6. - Brault-Guillard Montreal / MLS
  7. - Waterman - Montreal / MLS
  8. - Farsi - Cavalry / CPL
  9. - Johnston - Nashville / MLS
  10. - Zator - Cavalry / CPL
  11. - Didic - Edmonton / CPL  Kwame Awuah - Forge/ CPL
  12. - Cornelius - Vancouver / MLS
  13. - Jakovic - Los Angeles / MLS (Has he retired?)
  14. - Bustos - Pacific / CPL
  15. - Bekker - Forge / CPL
  16. - Fraser - Toronto / MLS
  17. - Priso - Toronto / MLS
  18. - Chapman - Inter Miami / MLS
  19. - Osorio - Toronto / MLS
  20. - Kaye - Los Angeles / MLS
  21. - Piette - Montreal / MLS
  22. - Shome - Montreal / MLS 
  23. - Baldisimo - Vancouver / MLS
  24. - Buchanan - New England / MLS
  25. - Edwards - Minnesota / MLS
  26. - Bair - Vancouver / MLS
  27. - Cavallini - Vancouver / MLS
  28. - Akindele - Orlando / MLS
  29. - Akinola - Toronto / MLS
  30. - Nelson - Toronto / MLS

That's right. Big 30-man camp. Let's get it done.

I was making a list last night, and thought about doing a 30 man list....but then reality started to set in. The cost of a big camp like that, and it may not be necessary if we only play 1 or 2 games. We've seen 3 games before, but I'm not positive that will happen in todays climate, but what the heck. 

I'll like your list with almost half the guys eligible for the U23 team. I do think we will see that influence who will be called up as it would be a two birds with one stone camp, I just made a few changes. (I also find it hard to believe that Rusty would be kept off this team, but I didn't change it).

Here's the breakdown by each position. A lot of RB's....

GK: 3 - Crepeau, Henry, St. Clair
LB: 2 - Awuah, Miller*
RB: 4 - Laryea*, ZBG, Farsi, Johnston
CB: 4 - Jakovic, Cornelius, Zator, Waterman 
CDM: 5 - Priso, Fraser, Piette, Shome, Baldisimo 
CM: 5 - Osorio, Bustos*, Chapman, Kaye, Bekker 
W: 3 - Buchanan, Edwards, Nelson, Bair*
S: 3 -Cavallini, Akindele, Akinola, 

21 minutes ago, Shway said:

I was making a list last night, and thought about doing a 30 man list....but then reality started to set in. The cost of a big camp like that, and it may not be necessary if we only play 1 or 2 games. We've seen 3 games before, but I'm not positive that will happen in todays climate, but what the heck. 

I'll like your list with almost half the guys eligible for the U23 team. I do think we will see that influence who will be called up as it would be a two birds with one stone camp, I just made a few changes. (I also find it hard to believe that Rusty would be kept off this team, but I didn't change it).

Here's the breakdown by each position. A lot of RB's....

GK: 3 - Crepeau, Henry, St. Clair
LB: 2 - Awuah, Miller*
RB: 4 - Laryea*, ZBG, Farsi, Johnston
CB: 4 - Jakovic, Cornelius, Zator, Waterman 
CDM: 5 - Priso, Fraser, Piette, Shome, Baldisimo 
CM: 5 - Osorio, Bustos*, Chapman, Kaye, Bekker 
W: 3 - Buchanan, Edwards, Nelson, Bair*
S: 3 -Cavallini, Akindele, Akinola, 

No problem giving Henry a look in place of Carducci at this time. I like the Awuah call as well. And I honestly forgot about Rusty. Didn't mean to leave him off actually. So many players now it's easy to forget some guys. Really speaks to how much our depth has grown!

Oh man, are we're doing this to ourselves again?  Is there any official word about a Dec/Jan camp?  Or just more assuming and hearsay?

I know I sound down and negative, but I just can't take anymore CSA bullshit.  I need to protect myself.  The way things are going, it feels like they'll just roll the dice and just show up to the GC and WCQ with no camps and pray the players just make it happen on their own. 

6 minutes ago, costarg said:

Oh man, are we're doing this to ourselves again?  Is there any official word about a Dec/Jan camp?  Or just more assuming and hearsay?

I know I sound down and negative, but I just can't take anymore CSA bullshit.  I need to protect myself.  The way things are going, it feels like they'll just roll the dice and just show up to the GC and WCQ with no camps and pray the players just make it happen on their own. 

I liked your post, but I could've used every single reaction to it except the confused face. 
Hope and pray my brother, hope and pray. 

2 hours ago, Shway said:

It seems as if you brought out the CSA defence shield, because you totally are neglecting the points that I mentioned:

1. Other Concacaf teams have been able to rotate, blood in new players from the October & November windows in which they have deepened their pool of players. This a clear benefit for when WCQ come around regardless of the when, they have an idea on who the guys might be based on recent results and friendlies. 
  2. Yes the reality that the best XI would've always been different....but I guess the main point that our best XI would have not played with each other in over a year and while immediately having to go into must-win game situations, is something you foresee not being issue. 

And again no one made any mention of Covid, but you brought the horse and shield out.
I'm starting to think you work for the CSA, or just like to ride with their blinders. 

I literally said I'm not going to ride this carousel again, and I'm also under no obligation to address any of your redundant points, so you can take that idiotic "defence shield" stuff elsewhere. The fact that you and a few others think that anyone who doesn't fall completely in line with your stance are automatically sycophants is insulting and boring.

All I wanted to know is how you find it "sad" that a possible Camp Poutine roster would look different from a March WCQ roster when that is always the case every single year. Nowhere did I say the team not being together for a year wouldn't be an issue, but I'm not going to bash my head against the wall trying to get you to understand nuance any longer.

Like I said, nobody brought up the carousel that is Covid-19 ...you did, but you’ll somehow find a way to make it seem like I was insinuating that. So why talk about a ride, if you don’t want to go on it? That ride is dead to me, I just brought up the sad reality that we have come WCQ. 

Also this is a Canadian soccer forum, used for support, discussions and open debates. I have never insulted, tried to pick a cyber fight, or called anyone an idiot and if I did you would’ve gladly took your powers that be to ban me. If you took offence to me talking about your CSA defence shield, than maybe I struck a possible nerve - as that is very menial. I just think you don’t have any opinions that are contrary to the way the CSA operates, and I’ve seen it or lack thereof in your work. I never stated anything in regards that if you don’t feel the way I do “your an idiot” but go ahead - paint the picture. I just personally dislike when someone will take a verb of a quote and twist it for their own narrative actions. 

Lastly, I can list many reasons why it’s sad, the fact that you question it and completely ignore it from a sporting perspective is even more sad. However I’ll outline why it’s sad, that you can’t realize based on what you said. 

7 hours ago, RS said:

2 hours ago, RS said:

All I wanted to know is how you find it "sad" that a possible Camp Poutine roster would look different from a March WCQ roster when that is always the case every single year.

2 hours ago, RS said:

In previous January camps we have played in the previous windows...where as this one (hopefully) we haven’t played in what would be a year. The starting XI by March, would be playing crucial make or break WCQ games, when they haven’t played together in over 15 months (never has that been done before AFAIK) - while our direct competitors having been preparing for WCQ. Is that not sad a situation as a fan from a sporting perspective? Regardless of the variables that are a result of it, that sounds like low mid-tier Caribbean nation situations. 

In previous years when we had a camp poutine, we have always played in either of the October or November windows. So when the rare January camp has come around it’s always been rotational/domestic heavy camp - and it is what it is. We appreciate that. What’s sad is the expectancy our young core has to produce revolutionary results with inadequate preparation. 

I watched a top Jamaican club team, lose a knockout game to a mid tier Haitian team in Concacaf League. The Jamaican team didn't play together in 9 months, the Haitian team was 4-1-4 in their season that started in September. My point is without playing together, we’re expecting revolutionary results and I hope our boys can do it - we got two of the best young players in the world.

11 hours ago, RS said:

I literally said I'm not going to ride this carousel again, and I'm also under no obligation to address any of your redundant points, so you can take that idiotic "defence shield" stuff elsewhere. The fact that you and a few others think that anyone who doesn't fall completely in line with your stance are automatically sycophants is insulting and boring.

All I wanted to know is how you find it "sad" that a possible Camp Poutine roster would look different from a March WCQ roster when that is always the case every single year. Nowhere did I say the team not being together for a year wouldn't be an issue, but I'm not going to bash my head against the wall trying to get you to understand nuance any longer.

Clearly it's "sad" that our "A" squad will not have been together in 16+ months by the time we play a WCQ. You're clearly not a dumb guy but you're being obtuse if you can't see what the discussion is about.

Essentially, a camp poutine will be useless unless we plan to go with a similar squad. We should have played this month but we didn't and we'll see what that ends up meaning for our fortunes comes March.