Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021

On 2/7/2021 at 5:27 PM, red card said:

Davies isn't coming to any Olympic qualifiers.

Besides the covid issues and Euro clubs not rating Olympic qualifiers for any first team players, Bayern is playing in the Champions League on Mar 17th and then have a league match on the weekend.

Yeah, that could be a problem. I hadn't realised that the qualifiers preceded the break as much - which is later than some Marches.

Though no reason (logistically) that he couldn't be there for the Honduras match and the critical semi-final game, likely against Mexico or USA. And at the same time, we see so many players being voluntarily released by MLS teams. Why can't it go both ways? But yeah, then there's Covid.

Shame, here we are with a once-in-a-generation chance of qualifying the men for the Olympics, and we're can't play the A squad. Hopefully one day the process gets fixed.

2 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Yeah, that could be a problem. I hadn't realised that the qualifiers preceded the break as much - which is later than some Marches.

Though no reason (logistically) that he couldn't be there for the Honduras match and the critical semi-final game, likely against Mexico or USA. And at the same time, we see so many players being voluntarily released by MLS teams. Why can't it go both ways? But yeah, then there's Covid.

Shame, here we are with a once-in-a-generation chance of qualifying the men for the Olympics, and we're can't play the A squad. Hopefully one day the process gets fixed.

Yea...I'm okay with David, Davies or Millar not being there. Nor should we expect it, although it would be very ideal. 

But on the flip side, if we are able to get those guys released...can you imagine playing the USA with their eligible guys they would absolutely dominate the competition. Pulisic, Adams, McKennie, Sargeant, Hoppe, Reyna, Musah, Robinson, Dest, Cannon, McKenzie, Richards, Weah...im sure I'm missing guys. But yea...it's even more likely for them considering they don't have WCQ in March.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Yea...I'm okay with David, Davies or Millar not being there. Nor should we expect it, although it would be very ideal. 

But on the flip side, if we are able to get those guys released...can you imagine playing the USA with their eligible guys they would absolutely dominate the competition. Pulisic, Adams, McKennie, Sargeant, Hoppe, Reyna, Musah, Robinson, Dest, Cannon, McKenzie, Richards, Weah...im sure I'm missing guys. But yea...it's even more likely for them considering they don't have WCQ in March.

If we could somehow get to the olympics and the olympics happen I would hope we would stack it with everyone we could. Would be a fun team and might actually be competitive! 

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Far too over excited for this than anyone should be.

Mexico is hosting a prep camp.

Honduras and Costa Rica are holding camps in Costa Rica and will play each other twice on the 23rd and 25th of this month.

El Salvador recently hired a new U23(U24) coach and a new goalkeeper coach too and held a camp earlier this month.

Haiti is looking to play an amateur Mexican side at home in early March as well as possibly a U23 US based team or some Mexican clubs in Mexico right before the tourney starts.

https://haititempo.com/foot-jo-2021-haiti-aux-eliminatoires-ca-se-precise/

Just remember that we may well be the least prepared team of our group.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 minute ago, Kadenge said:

Lucas Dias (Sporting) is on the list

Beat me to it, so we didn’t get Ayo but Lucas Dias is a major win, I’d imagine this cap ties him and he’s filed a switch. Dias is a bigger win than Ayo, and maybe even Flores long term. It’s from out of left field and huge tbh.

1 minute ago, Dominic94 said:

Akinola is not on the US roster by the way...

Not surprising though.  Someone will get him called up to the senior team.  With the tug of war happening (or at least appearing to happen) a call up to a lower tier team just might settle the issue in the other side’s favour.  I would hope we are smart enough to offer a full WCQ invitation to him at the earliest possible opportunity.  

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not surprising though.  Someone will get him called up to the senior team.  With the tug of war happening (or at least appearing to happen) a call up to a lower tier team just might settle the issue in the other side’s favour.  I would hope we are smart enough to offer a full WCQ invitation to him at the earliest possible opportunity.  

This is an official fifa even right ? I don’t see how Dias can play with us unless he filed and had a switch approved and wouldn’t this lock him in same it would with Ayo ?

So here are my initial thoughts.

Interesting that ZBG is in the roster but not Johnston.

Lucas Dias is a cool name to see.

I'm a bit surprised Cornelius in the roster.

Akinola isn't in the squad (not too surprising)

Nice to see all those European based players

Overall looking like a strong team I'm excited to see those games

Edited by Nate3322