10 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

The question is whether they are really injuries stopping them from playing or just wear and tear which is what you seem to think they are. I also suspect they are wear and tear and Vanney is betting that keeping them fresh will help him win other games that he thinks are more winnable. Maybe it will work but my opinion is that this late in the season all the teams still in the running for the final playoff spot need to throw caution to the wind and do the maximum to win every game. 

Yup wear and tear. Especially with Osorio and probably Giovinco. Vazquez is probably the one who's closest to legitimate injury as you define it, but even he can probably manage to play, but it's just a matter for how long. I certainly don't expect him to start but I do think Osorio and Giovinco will.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all the talk of roster management, it has to be said that a big part of the reason we lost on the road last night was the performance of our two American DP's - Bradley actually had his best game as a CB but then was poor when he moved into Fraser's spot - not just with wearing the goat horns on the 2nd goal of course (although I hated all the passing around of the ball at the back leading up to that gaffe when you're down 1-0 late in the game - drives me nuts) but his passes launching attacks were less accurate than Fraser's had been. I would not have taken Fraser off, especially not for Zavaleta when you have 3 strikers and no midfielders on the bench. But more disappointing was Altidore, who as Caldwell said, a very quiet game. This was his first league game back from suspension and with Osorio, Giovinco and Vazquez (the other main offensive production players on the team) absent, he needed to step it up and did not. You can certainly argue he didn't get as much service as might normally have been the case, but even so, when you have the DP tag & salary and you are coming off of really costing the team, you expect a bit more.

And we didn't lose because of Delgado, but we probably should have because I have no idea what he was thinking with that sideline foul on Chara in the first half when he was already had a yellow (and he almost took out his coach as well on the play). That should have been a 2nd yellow and I have no explanation as to what the criteria could possibly be for why it shouldn't be.

I see that Herdman has called up Jay Chapman - I would just suggest not playing him as a wingback unless you need a defensive assignment as he did well to shut down US national teamer Villefania, but he has a very peculiar but annoying knack of not being able to find anyone with his crosses even though he usually hits them well.

21 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

For all the talk of roster management, it has to be said that a big part of the reason we lost on the road last night was the performance of our two American DP's - Bradley actually had his best game as a CB but then was poor when he moved into Fraser's spot - not just with wearing the goat horns on the 2nd goal of course (although I hated all the passing around of the ball at the back leading up to that gaffe when you're down 1-0 late in the game - drives me nuts) but his passes launching attacks were less accurate than Fraser's had been. I would not have taken Fraser off, especially not for Zavaleta when you have 3 strikers and no midfielders on the bench. But more disappointing was Altidore, who as Caldwell said, a very quiet game. This was his first league game back from suspension and with Osorio, Giovinco and Vazquez (the other main offensive production players on the team) absent, he needed to step it up and did not. You can certainly argue he didn't get as much service as might normally have been the case, but even so, when you have the DP tag & salary and you are coming off of really costing the team, you expect a bit more.

And we didn't lose because of Delgado, but we probably should have because I have no idea what he was thinking with that sideline foul on Chara in the first half when he was already had a yellow (and he almost took out his coach as well on the play). That should have been a 2nd yellow and I have no explanation as to what the criteria could possibly be for why it shouldn't be.

I see that Herdman has called up Jay Chapman - I would just suggest not playing him as a wingback unless you need a defensive assignment as he did well to shut down US national teamer Villefania, but he has a very peculiar but annoying knack of not being able to find anyone with his crosses even though he usually hits them well.

It was the worst game I ever saw from Altidore (that lasting longer than 12 minutes).

TFC need to get younger next year and upgrade their CBs which is what they should have done after last season but decided to sign a high priced mid instead. Delgado has been a disaster this season. I dont think Gio /VV /Bradley/Altidore/Morrow/Moor will somehow go back to the form they displayed last season. Age is not on their side. The strength of TFC used to be their defensive shield but Bradley and Delgado along with the injuries at the back have made them look like swiss cheese.

17 hours ago, Kadenge said:

TFC need to get younger next year and upgrade their CBs which is what they should have done after last season but decided to sign a high priced mid instead. Delgado has been a disaster this season. I dont think Gio /VV /Bradley/Altidore/Morrow/Moor will somehow go back to the form they displayed last season. Age is not on their side. The strength of TFC used to be their defensive shield but Bradley and Delgado along with the injuries at the back have made them look like swiss cheese.

Delgado's problems all year have been with untimely possession losses, either with inaccurate or rushed passes as well as ineffective shielding when receiving a pass.  But his engine room back-tracking has been really good.  Even in this most recent game you can see numerous examples of how he came back and helped break up plays.  I don't deny that he has had a poor season in the areas I mentioned (as well as missing a couple of goal opportunities, none bigger, of course, than in the CCC final), but to say that he's a disaster is over the top, imo.

Delgado’s offensive side has been abysmal and other than working hard, his season has been very forgetful.  He’s not a replacement for Bradley so if he can’t possess the ball or make good passes he would be nothing more than depth next year st best.  Give Chapman the playing time and groom Fraser for Bradleys spot.

Well, they won the titles last year, so it's tough to have much sympathy for them.  It's a reasonable trade off if you're a fan, last season to this.  I expect most would take a bottom half finish after winning a treble the previous year.  But really what is going on?  How safe is Vanney? 

14 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Delgado’s offensive side has been abysmal and other than working hard, his season has been very forgetful.  He’s not a replacement for Bradley so if he can’t possess the ball or make good passes he would be nothing more than depth next year st best.  Give Chapman the playing time and groom Fraser for Bradleys spot.

Sell Bradley, sell Delgado, and play Chapman in his f****** position. He's shown he's more than capable of running a midfield at MLS level. Fraser is the future of this club, and needs to be playing every week, especially since TFC is virtually out of the playoffs. Also full Ghana international Gideon Waja of TFC II has a similar work rate to Delgado, but he's much tidier in possession and deserves his chance in the first team imo. I'll also be very upset if I don't see local products like Aidan Daniels, Malik Johnson, Matt Srebly, Robert Boskovic, Terique Mohammed or Noble Okello get a chance in the team with essentially nothing left to play for.

Just now, KW519 said:

Sell Bradley, sell Delgado, and play Chapman in his f****** position. He's shown he's more than capable of running a midfield at MLS level. Fraser is the future of this club, and needs to be playing every week, especially since TFC is virtually out of the playoffs. Also full Ghana international Gideon Waja of TFC II has a similar work rate to Delgado, but he's much tidier in possession and deserves his chance in the first team imo. I'll also be very upset if I don't see local products like Aidan Daniels, Malik Johnson, Matt Srebly, Robert Boskovic, Terique Mohammed or Noble Okello get a chance in the team with essentially nothing left to play for.

It makes sense what you are saying, play the kids. Only that TFC has a game in hand over Mtl and a direct match remaining. Which could take you three points out of a playoff spot just there. And then, looking at schedule, Impact have two games away vs. teams above them in the table, then NYCFC at home. Then DC United. 

As a coach, responsibly, you have to take your chances still, however poor the season or unlikely the odds.

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It makes sense what you are saying, play the kids. Only that TFC has a game in hand over Mtl and a direct match remaining. Which could take you three points out of a playoff spot just there. And then, looking at schedule, Impact have two games away vs. teams above them in the table, then NYCFC at home. Then DC United. 

As a coach, responsibly, you have to take your chances still, however poor the season or unlikely the odds.

Actually Impact have only one game away vs teams above them in the table. Their last 3 away matches are DCU, New England and Philadelphia. Only Philadelphia is above them.

Just now, Blackdude said:

Actually Impact have only one game away vs teams above them in the table. Their last 3 away matches are DCU, New England and Philadelphia. Only Philadelphia is above them.

Looked at it wrong, then. Still, with all these comments about the fat lady singing. In opera, as in sport, there are plenty of surprise endings. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Of course they can’t do it, ie throw the towel in and play Fraser and the like for the remainder of the year.  At least not until they are mathematically eliminated.  Really wish Vanney had of gone for it in Portland and played the best possible squad.  Win that game get some mo going and maybe against LAFC when they are dominating in the first 35 something goes in and we are in a much better place today.

On 8/30/2018 at 3:25 PM, Obinna said:

Yup wear and tear. Especially with Osorio and probably Giovinco. Vazquez is probably the one who's closest to legitimate injury as you define it, but even he can probably manage to play, but it's just a matter for how long. I certainly don't expect him to start but I do think Osorio and Giovinco will.

We see that both Osorio and Giovinco played 90. Unless TFC has a miracle turnaround I think we can say this strategy did not work.

• 2 weeks later...

Finish the season as strong as possible. Once mathematically eliminated give the kids a shot with some vet. presence to shield them. Have a proper full length off season. Re-tool/Upgrade where we can this off season. Come back well rested, strong & more cohesive next season. No need to over-react, this core is only 10 months removed from the treble. Should have another shot at redemption starting with CCL next Feb.

How do people think Vanney and the brain trust  will approach the Campeones Cup?  Wasn’t happy when they added this game because I thought we would be fighting for the playoffs and this match would be at best a joke.  Now as we are all but mathematically eliminated does TFC actually play that game as if it matters?  Looking forward to the game tonight to see the Zlatan in person!

7 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

How do people think Vanney and the brain trust  will approach the Campeones Cup?  

My answer may depend on tonight’s results. Not looking promising for TFC as Mavinga and Moor don’t appear to be dressed for tonight’s match, leaving the killer combo of Zavaleta and Hagglund to deal with Ibrahimovitch. And by killer, I mean TFC killer.....

Sitting in the stands tonight chatting to a fan sitting behind me I actually  predicted a 5-3 win for TFC tonight's game. Incredible that it came true even after a 3-0 TFC lead. Although given that neither team can defend maybe it isn't that incredible. 

Nice winner by Osorio and nice insurance tally from Chapman at least.

Archived