• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Let the cut and dry Osorio-Teibert debate (for TFC fans anyways) begin. Or not. ☺️

Ha! Must admit Rusty has looked the more engaged of the two lately. Oso was almost invisible this afternoon. I wonder if he is worn out. Rusty looked his regular zippy self, notched a nice goal, and caught the attention of Herdman. Hope he sees the pitch vs. Dominica. 

Pretty sure Reyna is the Caps best player. He’s not the finished product but his skill, composure and soccer smarts are clearly evident. Hope the Caps can keep him. Mutch has shown some encouraging stuff too. I wonder what this team might have looked like had he been healthy most of the season.

I have real doubts about Vanney. 

34 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

TFC will benefit immensely from the rest this off-season. Now if we can just send out TFC II to throw the CCL 1st round match-up we'll have a good 4-5 months off.

No doubt they need a rest. But I think they need to tinker with their backline, too.  Bradley should not be a CB. Once rested, he is a beast in the middle of the park. He was sloppy at times tonight, but he did well to shut down Davies on several occasions. He still has plenty to offer TFC.  Having said that, I want to see Fraser on the pitch more frequently next year.

Teibert was better than Oso tonight but Oso is having a spectacular year and in terms of overall production it is not even close.  Oso may be having the best year of all of our midfielders of any club.  He has blossomed this year and it is such a shame that Floro didn’t get over his issues with the man.  It was nice watching a very Canadian team tonight and if someone was going to end TFC’s season, happy it was Levi’s, Teibert Henry Davies et al.  

1 hour ago, The Beaver said:

No doubt they need a rest. But I think they need to tinker with their backline, too.  Bradley should not be a CB. Once rested, he is a beast in the middle of the park. He was sloppy at times tonight, but he did well to shut down Davies on several occasions. He still has plenty to offer TFC.  Having said that, I want to see Fraser on the pitch more frequently next year.

This should be a given. If little Timmy Bez is doing his job we'll have some reinforcements on the backline and ready to challenge for MLS Cup next season.

On 10/5/2018 at 7:55 PM, Keegan said:

Crazy timing with CPL coming in.. I guess they aren’t too worried about York.

Why should they York 9 really? What they should be worried about is raising prices after a garbage season like that , one of the worst collapses in all sports , going from just about winning everything in site last season to this garbage of a season this year and I don’t care how many bloody injuries they had , just a disgrace of a season after the season they had last season this is why they should have never raised prices not because of York 9 .

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

That seemed from tv to be a pretty poor playing surface.  Boy, they were a lot of dodgy bounces out there for both teams.  A back pass to the keeper could result in a Paul Robinson moment.  We'll probably see more of the same Tuesday night. 

The surface is one the biggest factors that hindered TFC this season. I know, I know, it's a field and the ball is round and all that, but there's no denying it made a bad injury situation worse. The poor health of the team was central to the poor results. Players in and out of the team all year long makes it harder to develop and maintain those relationships required for a successful team. 

Everyone is looking forward to TFC taking time off to get healthy, to reflect on what went wrong, and to refocus with a clean slate, and what a way to start with another CCL campaign, where they'll have a chance to redeem themselves. Even if they don't win it, a good showing I think can provide them with momentum to take into the league, where they can fight for the shield and hopefully more, much like the Red Bulls this year. 

But aside from getting healthy, I am most looking forward to that new surface. It will make a bumpy path much more smooth next season, literally. 

The surface looked really bad from the stands, so many unpredictable bounces, what a shame, this pitch was immaculate a couple of seasons ago! This is a big off season for Bez, obviously there needs to be an upgrade in the defensive depth of this squad, I'm not sure if any of the 3 DP's won't be declining next season, Bradley clearly looks to me like he has lost half a step, Giovinco looks more and more frustrated out there and Altidore has shown poor discipline and is often injured! Questions also have to be asked of Vanney, his squad selections and strategies have left a lot to be desired this season, can he get this team back on top of the league? Overall the whole club looks tired right from the players to the coaches and the fans, it will be an interesting off season!

9 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

That seemed from tv to be a pretty poor playing surface.  Boy, they were a lot of dodgy bounces out there for both teams.  A back pass to the keeper could result in a Paul Robinson moment.  We'll probably see more of the same Tuesday night. 

It is pretty bad at the moment, and might help Dominica a little bit next week. Let’s also hope Doneil doesn’t make it a PK giveaway hat trick on Tuesday.

For TFC, Van Der Wiel may have moved himself back on the do not keep list for 2019. That was the worst game he played as a CB and I am not sure if the cameras on tv picked up his post yellow card screaming contest with Giovinco in the first half. Season on the line and he played like he didn’t care. Not good.

45 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

For TFC, Van Der Wiel may have moved himself back on the do not keep list for 2019. That was the worst game he played as a CB and I am not sure if the cameras on tv picked up his post yellow card screaming contest with Giovinco in the first half. Season on the line and he played like he didn’t care. Not good.

For a guy on what I believe to be $800 K, that's not nearly enough bang for buck. 

I had to miss the game entirely.  Will have to watch it on replay later this week.   But i couldn't help noting the comments above about the surface.  

I am not trying to make the surface    as an excuse for the season but if you look back to the twelve year history,  you can find some correlation between player performance / team results with surface quality.  And we know what the primary reason as to why the surface has deteriorated.  

From a business standpoint,  does it make sense to continue to allow a tenant (who is averaging less than half the paying customers than another tenant)  use the same facility as the more profitable if it ultimately puts at greater risks the results of the profitable unit. 

9 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

For a guy on what I believe to be $800 K, that's not nearly enough bang for buck. 

That's the one I struggle with.  I saw positive things this year In GVW.  His flexibility is also a plus in that he play several positions.  

But at that kind of money?  I don't know.  

They will also have to keep in mind the fact that it often takes about a year for overseas talent to fill accimatize to North America.  

8 minutes ago, Free kick said:

They will also have to keep in mind the fact that it often takes about a year for overseas talent to fill accimatize to North America.  

That's true, but they really need a top notch CB here in the off season.  I don't trust Mavinga's health long term and filling in with natural fullbacks is not the answer:  you could see that with his positioning at different times during his stints there this season, including yesterday.  Van der Wiel isn't Lillian Thuram by any stretch of the imagination so in terms of MLS economics, you do need a guy who really stands out as a keystone and not just a jack-of-all-trades but not outstanding at one for that kind of dough.  However, getting a full off season to recover from injury issues and a time to "settle" might be what he needs.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/10/06/toronto-fc-striker-jozy-altidore-hints-possible-departure-club

More bad news for TFC. 

Though it is really baseless speculation. There are no clubs heavily linked with Jozy at the moment, and it sounds (unsurprisingly) like he wants to say, but it is "out of his hands". 

His departure is likely being speculated on because MLS is mulling the idea of either capping the 3rd DP spot to $1.5/yr or eliminating it entirely. Furthermore, the league will reportedly not approve a third DP contract which extends beyond 2019 and violates that cap, in anticipation of this rule change.

Now, from what I can gather, this is not set in stone, but it may explain where this article is coming from. If it does go into effect, TFC will be forced into a corner and faced with some tough choices.

Personally, I would do everything in my power to keep these 3 together, but that would mean someone dropping down to the $1.5/yr level. The is definitely not going to be Giovinco, so it's between him and Bradley, who is already on an astronomical 6 million a season (or there about). Jozy at 4.5 million (or whatever it is) is the closest, but were still looking at a +60% pay cut, which will be a tough sell for a striker in his prime who was linked to Italy, France and Club America earlier. That being said, he's often injured so perhaps he's the one on the chopping block, despite being the youngest of the 3.

Just completely unfortunate for the league to essentially force TFC to break up, what I would call, an historic DP trifecta. A real shame. 

I would much prefer that core staying together until one of them moves out due to their own accord, or one of them ages out, or one of them retires, etc. To break it up because of a rule change is the sort of mickey mouse stuff that has plagued this league's reputation since it's inception. MLS needs to stop tinkering with their rules every few years. 

And by the way, if Altidore does indeed move, I would immediately look to Lucas Cavallini as a like-for-like replacement. Put him on a TAM level contract. The kid can score, he's rarely out injured, can hold up the ball, is good in the air, is a Canadian international and from Toronto. 

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/10/06/toronto-fc-striker-jozy-altidore-hints-possible-departure-club

More bad news for TFC. 

Though it is really baseless speculation. There are no clubs heavily linked with Jozy at the moment, and it sounds (unsurprisingly) like he wants to say, but it is "out of his hands". 

His departure is likely being speculated on because MLS is mulling the idea of either capping the 3rd DP spot to $1.5/yr or eliminating it entirely. Furthermore, the league will reportedly not approve a third DP contract which extends beyond 2019 and violates that cap, in anticipation of this rule change.

Now, from what I can gather, this is not set in stone, but it may explain where this article is coming from. If it does go into effect, TFC will be forced into a corner and faced with some tough choices.

Personally, I would do everything in my power to keep these 3 together, but that would mean someone dropping down to the $1.5/yr level. The is definitely not going to be Giovinco, so it's between him and Bradley, who is already on an astronomical 6 million a season (or there about). Jozy at 4.5 million (or whatever it is) is the closest, but were still looking at a +60% pay cut, which will be a tough sell for a striker in his prime who was linked to Italy, France and Club America earlier. That being said, he's often injured so perhaps he's the one on the chopping block, despite being the youngest of the 3.

Just completely unfortunate for the league to essentially force TFC to break up, what I would call, an historic DP trifecta. A real shame. 

I would much prefer that core staying together until one of them moves out due to their own accord, or one of them ages out, or one of them retires, etc. To break it up because of a rule change is the sort of mickey mouse stuff that has plagued this league's reputation since it's inception. MLS needs to stop tinkering with their rules every few years. 

And by the way, if Altidore does indeed move, I would immediately look to Lucas Cavallini as a like-for-like replacement. Put him on a TAM level contract. The kid can score, he's rarely out injured, can hold up the ball, is good in the air, is a Canadian international and from Toronto. 

So to conclude: Obinna is trying to ruin Cavallini's career by getting him injured on that terrible pitch?

Enh.

I think we all made peace with this a while ago. Terrible season but still won the V Cup, which is nice.

Lots of time to get stuff right and come back better next year.

I still dont rate the CCL so I wouldn't be mad if we got bounced from that early to focus on getting back to form and the important trophies. 

Play the young kids vs DC, trot out the best 11 vs MTL to ruin their hopes,  then let the boys rest up.

Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

So to conclude: Obinna is trying to ruin Cavallini's career by getting him injured on that terrible pitch?

Well, as you know they are introducing a new surface that has 5-10% synthetic field turf and 90-95% grass. The same surface Manchester United (and some other EPL teams) use, essentially. Obviously though, none of those teams share it with the Argos, but I do expect the injuries to largely go away when you also factor in the long lay off :)

1 minute ago, Califax said:

Enh.

I think we all made peace with this a while ago. Terrible season but still won the V Cup, which is nice.

Lots of time to get stuff right and come back better next year.

I still dont rate the CCL so I wouldn't be mad if we got bounced from that early to focus on getting back to form and the important trophies. 

Yup, more trophies than Vancouver or Montreal are likely to win in 2018, though I can see the Impact making a run in the playoffs, should they make it. 

Anytime you win a trophy is a good thing.

As for next year, I wouldn't be upset if TFC failed to win the Champions League, but I would like to see them at least get to the semi final round. A quarter-final exit or earlier would be such a step backwards, after a tough 2018, that you'll see all the negative story lines float back in. I think we'd need to see at least a semi-final finish to shut the haters up. 

I am not afraid of a deep run causing fatigue after essentially having essentially +4 months off.

15 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Let the cut and dry Osorio-Teibert debate (for TFC fans anyways) begin. Or not. ☺️

You obviously didn’t get the memo. We moved past the Osorio v. Teibert debate months ago. It’s now a “Chapman is also better than Teibert” debate, evidenced by Chapman generatimg more goals per minutes played than Teibert did last night. Give us another year or two and I am sure we can also start a “While we are at it, Fraser is better as well” to the mix.

35 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

You obviously didn’t get the memo. We moved past the Osorio v. Teibert debate months ago. It’s now a “Chapman is also better than Teibert” debate, evidenced by Chapman generatimg more goals per minutes played than Teibert did last night. Give us another year or two and I am sure we can also start a “While we are at it, Fraser is better as well” to the mix.

But to be fair, the debate is never really over. If Oso continues to play like he has been over the last few games, I think we'll all have to reevaluate his "apparent" superiority over Teibert. Oso has been really good for a little over a year. He needs to keep his levels high to remain the clear winner in this debate. I hope to see a return to form vs. Dominca

13 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

But to be fair, the debate is never really over. If Oso continues to play like he has been over the last few games, I think we'll all have to reevaluate his "apparent" superiority over Teibert. Oso has been really good for a little over a year. He needs to keep his levels high to remain the clear winner in this debate. I hope to see a return to form vs. Dominca

Thanks for the laugh!

Archived