• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Obinna said:

No? Nobody else think it's worth a go?

He knows MLS and knows Canada - and he would only cost $600,000 a season...

That's only half of what Aketxe costs! ;)

They're currently paying over $800 K for Van der Wiel and, if I heard correctly during the broadcast, Vanney sees the Dutchman as a CB next season.  I'm not sure they're going to have the available scratch, but then again I don't really know MLS economics, so maybe they do. 

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

They're currently paying over $800 K for Van der Wiel and, if I heard correctly during the broadcast, Vanney sees the Dutchman as a CB next season.  I'm not sure they're going to have the available scratch, but then again I don't really know MLS economics, so maybe they do. 

Well if they can sell Aketxe in the winter and shed themselves of his contract, they'd have some funds, though I think as it stands he's at Cadiz until summer, as his loan was one year.

Jansen, should they not bring back, would free up 400,000 and from there they would say goodbye to perennial whipping boy Zavaletta and there's your extra 200,000.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Well if they can sell Aketxe in the winter and shed themselves of his contract, they'd have some funds, though I think as it stands he's at Cadiz until summer, as his loan was one year.

Jansen, should they not bring back, would free up 400,000 and from there they would say goodbye to perennial whipping boy Zavaletta and there's your extra 200,000.

Further to that, I would imagine that both Moor and Irwin could move on or even retire. That's a decent chunk of change there. Meanwhile, some of us have not been overly pleased with Marky so............

15 hours ago, dbailey62 said:

Further to that, I would imagine that both Moor and Irwin could move on or even retire. That's a decent chunk of change there. Meanwhile, some of us have not been overly pleased with Marky so............

Since Delgado is getting USNT call ups, he might now have more cachet in a trade with maybe allocation coming TFC's way.  I don't think they could move the more expensive Zavaleta for a bag of soccer balls right now.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Since Delgado is getting USNT call ups, he might now have more cachet in a trade with maybe allocation coming TFC's way.  I don't think they could move the more expensive Zavaleta for a bag of soccer balls right now.

Totally agree!

On 10/27/2018 at 2:24 AM, Obinna said:

I was struggling to understand what you were talking about so i looked up Zavaleta's salary on MLSplayers.org. Holy fuck, how is he getting 263K in total comp. this season!?! That's absurd, Tiny Tim has to put his foot down and get that mess off the books.

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

I was struggling to understand what you were talking about so i looked up Zavaleta's salary on MLSplayers.org. Holy fuck, how is he getting 263K in total comp. this season!?! That's absurd, Tiny Tim has to put his foot down and get that mess off the books.

Yup I almost fell off my chair when I saw he was on over 250k

4 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Wow, that is unbelievable! I would like to know at what point someone determined he is worth this salary because he hasn't exactly been good enough to trust even as a back up! Some of these decisions are coming back to haunt the team now and if the right moves aren't made in the off season it could see more of the same struggles next season!

14 minutes ago, gator said:

Wow, that is unbelievable! I would like to know at what point someone determined he is worth this salary because he hasn't exactly been good enough to trust even as a back up! Some of these decisions are coming back to haunt the team now and if the right moves aren't made in the off season it could see more of the same struggles next season!

He and Haglund had good years in 2017 as occasional starters, injury replacements and late subs but their shortcomings, Zavs' in particular, have been extremely obvious. The fact that Zavs is making double Haglund's salary is a major fail that cannot be repeated. Aketxe was a gamble that seems to have failed but it had a huge potential upside. This case is different. We're dealing with a career journeyman plus the appearance of nepotism! 

He has to go!

6 minutes ago, dbailey62 said:

He and Haglund had good years in 2017 as occasional starters, injury replacements and late subs but their shortcomings, Zavs' in particular, have been extremely obvious. The fact that Zavs is making double Haglund's salary is a major fail that cannot be repeated. Aketxe was a gamble that seems to have failed but it had a huge potential upside. This case is different. We're dealing with a career journeyman plus the appearance of nepotism! 

He has to go!

I would say most of the returning players with Osorio being the exception had better years in 2017, those 2 probably had a lot less to do as TFC basically dictated the play in their record breaking season! I don't pay much attention to $$$ in sport, to me it's business vs sport but for Zav to be paid twice what Hagglund makes is absurd, I'm not a big fan of Hagglund either! As you say the appearance of nepotism can"t be ignored!

32 minutes ago, Yohan said:

Well. Nice win. And Montreal also failed to make playoffs. So at least there's that

.... and while NYRB have broken our points record, at least we stopped Atlanta from doing so (and from winning the Shield). It was sweet to be the spoiler!

On 10/25/2018 at 12:20 PM, Obinna said:

TFC need help at CB

Kendall Waston has expressed a desire to leave the Whitecaps.

Said he's open to a move to Europe or another MLS club.

The Toronto backline needs leadership and he's the captain of Vancouver.

Am I the only one dreaming of this as a solution?

He would fit the the bill.  Question is, does his status as non-american/non canadian fit  into the roster. Ive lost track and forgotten how many domestics and how many internationals you need.  But i believe quotas are still there. 

On 10/29/2018 at 1:25 AM, dbailey62 said:

.... and while NYRB have broken our points record, at least we stopped Atlanta from doing so (and from winning the Shield). It was sweet to be the spoiler!

I was surprised at how poor Atlanta was.  Couldnt believe the terrible give aways that they committed that lead to TFC goals.  I am all for giving TFC their dues and they did play well.   But, to me, this game was more about how terrible Atlanta was than about how good TFC was. Didnt seem like Atkanta were playing with much urgency.  Does Almiron’s absence make that much of a difference?

Jozef Martinez got alot of ink this year.  But considering the fact that a ton of his goals came on PK’s and that he hasnt scored much late in the year when the games matter more,  i honnestly cant talk about this guy in the same sentence as Zlatan or Rooney.  I will watch a game with those two playing before i will even consider watching a game with Martinez. And its not just about the name recogition, you just have to look at the number of games those guys played this year compared to Martinez. What numbers would they have put up if they would played the same number as Martinez

55 minutes ago, Free kick said:

He would fit the the bill.  Question is, does his status as non-american/non canadian fit  into the roster. Ive lost track and forgotten how many domestics and how many internationals you need.  But i believe quotas are still there. 

Pretty sure that he has a green card. (Don't ask me how he got it though)

9 hours ago, Free kick said:

I watched the entire Greg Vanney interview yesterday and in his discussion about CBs he brought up Waston as an example of a big physical presence with leadership skills. The context was comparing him to Gregory Van Der Weil, who he described as more quiet and cerebral in the position.

However..

If you also listen to the interview with management, you'll hear them talk about the need to add a CB, which Vanney echos.

So if you read between the lines, he doesn't come out and say it, but Kendall must be on his radar. Vanney could have literally used dozens of other examples around the league of CBs capable of leadership, but he chose the player who just recently announced he wants to leave his club but is happy to play for another in the league? I don't believe that is mere coincidence...

Vanney seemed to talk about the need for an experienced striker more than another CB defender might be his nephew bias talking there), which probably doesn't bode well for Ricketts given that he is the other experienced striker on the squad after the two DP's. I notice that Ricketts actually played fewer minutes this season in league play (and for that matter the Canadian Championship) than Hamilton (not even counting the 10 games Hamilton played for TFC2) and who obviously has more upside being almost 10 years younger. As for Hamilton, I think Bill Manning mentioned in his end of season presser (or it might have been Bezbatchenko) that they are looking to get loan deals for some of their younger players who have DP's starting ahead of them - I'm assuming they were referring to the likes of Fraser and Hamilton (maybe even Akinola and Endoh? Although Endoh isn't on a 1st team contract and is actually already 25 but he did look pretty good when he came back to TFC2), since I don't think these guys will benefit at all from playing in USL Division 2 - Hamilton lead TFC2 in scoring with 8 goals despite only playing 10 games so I can't seem them thinking that him playing  in Division 2 will do much good for his development - either he will not be re-signed or he may be loaned out, assuming its Ricketts who is dropped for a new "experienced" striker signing. One thing that was strange about Hamilton's playing time this year - I could be wrong but I can't recall that he played a single game or minute at home this year for the senior team, other than the 2nd half against Ottawa in the Cdn. Championship. I'm also including Concacaf Champions League in that.

In terms of who gets "brought up" from TFC2 next year, I had been hoping it would have been Uccello's turn next. I thought maybe Uccello might have been loaned to Memphis but there's no indication as yet that I've seen that indicates it was a loan signing (the Memphis press release doesn't mention that).  I'm not sure who else is really a likely candidate, they signed a couple of younger guys for the two throw-away games (Daniels and Dunn) who never saw any 1st team action again that I can recall. As always, I would like to see TFC add more Canadians where possible but if Ricketts goes I'm not sure if they will be able to maintain their Canadian numbers from this year for next season. Maybe Jordan Perruzza if he continues his rapid rise through the ranks?

• 2 weeks later...

I feel that we will see some Canadians cut loose.  I am thinking that most likely Irwin, Zavaleta, Morgan, Ricketts, and Hernandez are gone.  Hamilton, Delgado, Akinola and maybe Chapman are on the fringe.  I hope they can find a way to keep Janson  bulk up the back end a little more.

4 hours ago, Blindside16 said:

I feel that we will see some Canadians cut loose.  I am thinking that most likely Irwin, Zavaleta, Morgan, Ricketts, and Hernandez are gone.  Hamilton, Delgado, Akinola and maybe Chapman are on the fringe.  I hope they can find a way to keep Janson  bulk up the back end a little more.

I doubt Morgan is gone. He played a lot this year and is on a low salary.

Archived