17 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I think Osorio over Teibert is settled, but Teibert is putting together is his best MLS season and has arguably been the Whitecaps best midfielder in 2018. He's miles ahead of Chapman, although their different roles make the comparison a bit difficult.

I wouldn't say miles, but Teibert is having a great season after 2 seasons in a row where he failed to reach 20 league appearances.

He is finally going to crack that number this season, while Chapman can also reach 20 matches in league play if he features in TFC's remaining games, and with nothing but pride to play for, I am sure he'll get chances to close out the season.

Without looking, Rusty surely has played more league minutes overall, but Chapman has more goals and perhaps has played nearly the same amount of minutes over all competitions.

So yeah probably Chapman versus Russell needs to he the real debate here.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to believe that Teibert is only a year older than Chapman (25 to 24), both should be coming into their peak years.  2013 was probably the best year for Teibert, glad to see him back in the caps good graces and starting regularly.  Chapman needs to do the same, show the new coach he is too valuable to leave off the starting lineup and let Delgado follow Vanney to his new job.  

There would not have ever been a Teibert vs Osorio discussion if Benito Floro had never been hired to coach the national team.  Eighty percent of the cause is because of Floro and his decision to completely leave Oso off the NT.    

The other 20 percent is just the fall out from that decision and subsequent feedback.  I am referring to how club loyalties clouded the subsequent discussions on this forum in regards to what's best for the national team.   For example,  when Osorio showed some displeasure for getting subbed out some people lambasted him here.  Which, to me,  seemed puzzling given that you would be knocking a guy who wants to to play for the NT when there have been dozens of prominent talents who never wanted to play for Canada.  Also,  it's about style and need, If you set aside this year entirely and even forget the career numbers I am stilled baffled by the justification.  We already have players who bring what Teibert does.  But what we didn't ever have on the NT is a good link between the forwards and the midfield especially when the opposition is bunkering down. 

Hi just curious, since I did not see it. What is Osorio now making with his new deal with TFC, and for how long is the extension to the contract? I am interested because he was clearly underpaid and I'd hope they had redressed all that.

Dominica, unfortunately, can tell us very little about anything, but will serve to definitively cap-tie Ballou Tabla, which I am excited for.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Dominica, unfortunately, can tell us very little about anything, but will serve to definitively cap-tie Ballou Tabla, which I am excited for.

I agree.  That's about the only thing  those matches will tell us;   that you can cap-tie players.    If FIFA really cared about competition, growing the game, and fair entertainment value for the fans in all parts of Concacaf then they would roll up maybe a dozen to two dozen of those of those tiny tax haven countries into one team.  Similar to what international cricket has with a West Indies team.  Then,  you could realistically have real team that can support itself financially and provide a fair competition.   

But as it stands now all those tiny soccer associations of (who knows) consisting maybe of a one or two person office in someone's basement serve as easy votes to be bought for FIFA.   And nothing else.  I have long stopped paying any attention to these kind of matchup.  It's especially not fair to these countries more so than to Canada.

There is a certain critical mass or population that you need to field an international team in a team sport.  What that exact number is,  is open to debate but I know that there are roughly 15-20 sides that just can't be ever expected to competive.  And hence,  not worth my attention.  

Isnt that what the CONCACAF league is about?  These initial games will sort all the clubs out into the respective A, B and C pools with pro/rel between the pools and regular games among the teams?  The C level teams will be playing games among themselves until they earn promotion to B level etc etc. We get into the A group and it will be the against top 10 concacaf teams with something on the line and as long as we perform we stay in the A group with regular games against relatively matched competition.  And the 1-2 person front office tiny nations will be up against other tiny nations until the prove to be cream of the crop and move up a level.  Anyone not caring about level C games can just not watch, but they will be damn important to any soccer fans in Dominica, Puerta Rico or Bahamas.    

12 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Isnt that what the CONCACAF league is about?  These initial games will sort all the clubs out into the respective A, B and C pools with pro/rel between the pools and regular games among the teams?  The C level teams will be playing games among themselves until they earn promotion to B level etc etc. We get into the A group and it will be the against top 10 concacaf teams with something on the line and as long as we perform we stay in the A group with regular games against relatively matched competition.  And the 1-2 person front office tiny nations will be up against other tiny nations until the prove to be cream of the crop and move up a level.  Anyone not caring about level C games can just not watch, but they will be damn important to any soccer fans in Dominica, Puerta Rico or Bahamas.    

Right, which is why I do not mind the minnows competiting. I think for example, that Andorra is on a 5 game undefeated run, a country (or tax haven with borders) of 30,000. So let them compete, otherwise we will just sit around and say that Bournmouth and Huesca can't be allowed to compete in a top-flight league, or that small countries have no place in real competitions (Iceland). 

The only valid point is the one country-one vote, which can indeed lead to odd politicking, but hey: if you really analyse it, the corruption is just fine in the big FIFA nations too!

18 hours ago, Free kick said:

There would not have ever been a Teibert vs Osorio discussion if Benito Floro had never been hired to coach the national team.  Eighty percent of the cause is because of Floro and his decision to completely leave Oso off the NT.    

The other 20 percent is just the fall out from that decision and subsequent feedback.  I am referring to how club loyalties clouded the subsequent discussions on this forum in regards to what's best for the national team.   For example,  when Osorio showed some displeasure for getting subbed out some people lambasted him here.  Which, to me,  seemed puzzling given that you would be knocking a guy who wants to to play for the NT when there have been dozens of prominent talents who never wanted to play for Canada.  Also,  it's about style and need, If you set aside this year entirely and even forget the career numbers I am stilled baffled by the justification.  We already have players who bring what Teibert does.  But what we didn't ever have on the NT is a good link between the forwards and the midfield especially when the opposition is bunkering down. 

I wasn't that baffled because he's a far better player now in keeping possession and contributing defensively at club level than he was during Floro's time.  Teibert was also playing regularly at the Caps when he was on the outside looking in during the early part of Floro's reign while Osorio and Bekker were getting the call ups, and a fair number of people here were justifying that as well.

Osorio's used his club career to hone his game and mature as a player (and as a person).  This program has been plagued in the past by too many Ron Burgundy types who thought the were a "kinda of a big deal" even though they were essentially role player types at their clubs and then underachieved with us.  If we are beyond that, then I think we have a chance to do some special things on the world stage.

Yeah, Telfer was the only Canadian they didn't start who hadn't flown in from Toronto that day (even if Ricketts, Morgan & Chapman didn't play at all against Dominica - Ricketts wasn't used at all, along with Telfer). That said, based on Morrow's anemic and somewhat disinterested performance (he apparently wanted an engraved invitation to cross the ball with any urgency before he did so) I wish they had played Telfer in his spot - particularly given they were playing a back three so Telfer would have been a pure winger. which he is best at, and I wish they had played him. Even when Morgan came on for Hagglund, they put Morgan at the back (where he saved a goal from another brutal Zavaleta blunder) rather than moving Morrow back there, which I thought was mind-boggling given Morrow's ineffectiveness. Although to be fair to Morrow, Auro also drove me nuts this game by constantly slowing the play down and never crossing the ball quickly. To slow the play down once in a while and finesse your way through is fine, doing in 20 times in a row is bordering on insanity. What's the point of having all that open space if you never use it?

In terms of throwing the game, I am not sure I would go that far but from what I saw (missed the first 25 minutes) it looked like Hamilton was the only one trying to score a goal when he was on there, so it was frustrating they took him off with about 35 minutes to go. Not that he was having a brilliant game (although the service to him in the box was pretty much non-existent) but I didn't see who else was likely to score. They managed no shots on goal after he left and only one attempted strike (from Chapman, who replaced him, in a unlike-for-unlike swap). Maybe it was a planned move to save his legs because with Altidore & Vazquez out with season ending surgery and Vanney seemingly losing all interest in starting/playing Ricketts, I imagine he may be called on again come Sunday. Then again, if Giovinco is back and Janson (who did nothing in this game, disappointingly) are available, then maybe he probably won't.

On October 7, 2018 at 11:50 PM, Bison44 said:

Now i am reading in the twitter-verse that ten nations have asked to pull out of nations league.   This problem is exactly what i was talking about.  If you are that small as a population, you shouldnt have to compete as national team in an international competition.  You dont have the sufficient number of people to field a team in an international competition between countries.  Simple as that.  They are being used and i have hard time undertanding how any sports fan can pay to go watch this kind of stuff.  

Regarding your last sentence, If i lived in Dominica and was born and raised there, i wouldnt be that stupid to think that there is anything worth cheering for in this kind of competition.  When you mentioned Puerto Rico in the sentence as Domenica (or even Bahamas) suggests that you missed my point. Domenica is a country of some 70k people. 

To add insult to injury, it would take a miracle to keep our points record. At the very least it will probably have to be shared.

Red Bulls have an easy last two games, if they tie one at least they can't get to 70. 

Atlanta is probably going to tie our record tomorrow because I have no confidence in Chicago, especially away. Hopefully the boys get fired up for the last game and come to play for once. 

3 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

TFC lose 2-0 to MTL. Stuff going on at work so didn't get to watch, but just read about Zavaleta giving up a PK to Piatti. Vanney's pretty hot about it, does he have a point or is it Zavaleta doing Zavaleta things?

Unfortunately that is an accurate description. It was a VAR decision and Caldwell was pretty adamant that it wasn't a pen, but it was IMO. Zav pulled Piatti back by the shirt and he went down. It was kind of soft, but there was enough pulling to warrant a PK for me. 

It was a penalty all day long for me, Toledo was blocked in fairness so he didn't see the handful of shirt Zavaleta had, Piatti made a bit of a meal of it, you just can't grab an opponents shirt with both hands and not expect a foul to be called especially with VAR watching you! Vanney has to be called out once again for his game management, that was a shocking substitution bringing Zavaleta on to begin with and TFC paid the price!

Also agreed that it was a PK. I haven't seen the post-match reaction yet so I wasn't aware that Vanney was pissed off at it. In general I think Vanney is a good coach but his one flaw that ticks me off is the nepotism. Zavaleta has to go. To come on to the field like that as a late 2nd half sub (for a player who was playing well), play like an un-co-ordinated buffoon and give away a PK right away makes Zavaleta look poor and it makes the coach look like an idiot for making the substitution in the first place, so my guess Vanney was also pissed for that reason.

Caldwell was biased in the booth IMO not in favour of TFC but in favour of defenders and he'd already made his bed by saying the Ref was spot on for not giving the PK - but that was before we got the really damning angle. Yes, Piatti made a meal of it but why tug the jersey back like that to begin with?

And yes, Bono's had some lapses the last two games causing them to give up two goals - a 4 man wall from that far out on a free kick and then  rushing out on the 2nd goal was seemingly from a rush of blood to the head. The only positive side to that is that at least these are mistakes that he can learn from in games that don't mean anything. His shot-stopping technique is still very strong, so its a matter of combining that with learning from the mental errors.

I'm starting to think Janson doesn't stick with the team for next year, he misses way too many glorious scoring opportunities and has been invisible the last few games. How did he not score on that breakaway - why shoot when the keeper is out of the box, take it round him and slot it home?

My older brother used to do the same thing, stand behind you grab 2 handfulls of the shirt and shake you like a rag doll, then let go and have a amazed, innocent look on his face when you fell down afterwards.  

I think its funny how Bono continues to have these brainfarts (25 now in his 3rd full year with TFC and should be maturing), about every second or third game, and he gets so much slack.  I guess its because he did stop a few golden chances for Montreal, but so did Bush on the other end.  Except Bush didnt follow a few really good saves with an enormous blunder.  Over on the Henry thread there are calls to drop him because he cant be trusted not to give away a penalty.  When does the american brian trust at TFC decide to accept one of these european offers for Bono and move on? 

TFC need help at CB

Kendall Waston has expressed a desire to leave the Whitecaps.

Said he's open to a move to Europe or another MLS club.

The Toronto backline needs leadership and he's the captain of Vancouver.

Am I the only one dreaming of this as a solution?

Archived