French Guiana vs Canada - Post Match Thread

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am still uber happy about roughly 88 minutes of our play last night, but CR still makes me extremely nervous.

Costa Rica are one of those teams we have always played tightly, at least since 2007. I don't know exactly what is behind that, but nonetheless it gives me hope.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Costa Rica are one of those teams we have always played tightly, at least since 2007. I don't know exactly what is behind that, but nonetheless it gives me hope.

They also looked very average yesterday. The key against Costa Rica is not letting the their fullbacks get into the game; pin the fullbacks in and you are facing a 3 man attack instead of a five man attack.

48 minutes ago, Obinna said:

We always tend to raise our game against the big teams

2 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Those are different kinds of pressure though. When you feel that everybody is counting on you and you need to deliver or let them down, that can be overwhelming and make you try too hard -- Ironically leading to sub par performance.

When you want something badly, such as a place in the first eleven, and force yourself to raise your game to achieve it, that is an entirely different situation.

Exactly. 

2 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Those are different kinds of pressure though. When you feel that everybody is counting on you and you need to deliver or let them down, that can be overwhelming and make you try too hard -- Ironically leading to sub par performance.

When you want something badly, such as a place in the first eleven, and force yourself to raise your game to achieve it, that is an entirely different situation.

I want us to be in a situation where it's based on the latter.  Maybe, in this particular cycle/generation, we might be building towards that.

20 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

As for the second goal, I know this is going to sound sacrilegious but I felt that Davies muffed the play by not sticking with the RB after he passed and thus afforded him a free return pass,  with plenty of time and space to deliver that ball into the box.  I know that seems harsh but a top manager would point that out to him in the debrief in order to push him to be better.

I agree, thought we started to breakdown when Davies let his man beat him too easily. He's generally got a very good work-rate on defence, but a moment's laps in concentration and intensity, and his team was all of a sudden on the ropes. I'm sure it'll be a learning experience for him.

7 hours ago, Addona said:

I didn't realize Arfield got a yellow ... damn, we absolutely NEED him if we advance to the quarters.  If we can get a point in the 2nd match, I would rest him in the Honduras match, even if a higher group finish is possible with him.

I'm thinking rest Bernier in favour of Tiebert against Costa Rica and then Arfield in favour of Osario against Honduras.

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

I was worried ahead of this match, but I think this group has a "2007" feel to them.

Not scared of Costa Rica. Bring it on.

THIS!

Happy to see some good build-up play leading to several dangerous scoring opportunities (hard to come by in recent years). 

That said, let's not get too carried away with this result. It was a weak opponent with a shockingly-poor keeper. CR will be VERY tough and will be interesting to see how the boys react against a team that actually presses. My guess is that OZ will have them sitting much deeper. 

Hoping Borjan is fit for this one and the midfield stays nice and compact; Cavallini better be ready for those long-balls. Good hold-up play will be key to getting Davies/Arfield/Hoilett good looks in the attacking 1/3rd. 

14 hours ago, LSM said:

How about Zardoz?

"Zardoz speaks! The Attack is good. The Turnover is evil. The Turnover results in goals against, poisoning the Team with a plague of defeat, as it once was. But the Attack scores goals and purifies the Team of the filth of Losses. Go forth, and Attack! Zardoz has spoken!"

Plus, new uniforms:

zed.png

(Moustaches mandatory.)

Dear god, I had never heard of Zardoz before, and now, after two hours and a bottle of wine, I feel enlightened.  I've never dropped acid before, and now I don't have to.  Also, my wife never sits through an entire movie, and this was just morbidly fascinating and weirdly and artfully 1970s enough to hold her attention from start to finish.  Thank you LSM.

And yes, I agree.  These would be "killer" uniforms.

13 hours ago, Floortom said:

I can't imagine Crepeau is actually the #2 over Leutwiler. Oz probably saw the 3-0 scoreline and figured it was good chance to get Max 30 minutes of time.

i expect Leutwiler to start the next two matches.

I sure hope so. Bringing in Crepeau was a arrogant move. Not even saying he's so bad but it's the wrong signal (we got this game in our pocket). 

Canada positioning and passing network vs French Guyana, enjoy seeing these. My buddy Tim found it on twitter, dont know if he's on the V's, his words below cuz I'm too lazy to analysis. 

Connections all across the pitch from Canada, Davies tracking back hard, Arfield mobile, Cavallinni involved, and look how high Petrasso is.

IMG_0648.JPG

One of the really neat things of these charts is that they also point out the top three players in xGChain, which, long story short, is a great measure of overall importance to chanc generation: here it was Hoiller, Davies and Bernier with the gold, silver and bronze stars.

15 hours ago, dsqpr said:

I think we might be there now for some positions, particularly striker. Based on what I see for Canada, I put AJH right into the argument with Cavellini and Larin. Not much to choose between the 3 of them IMHO. AJH has been extremely effective for us thus far.

Yeah he is basically a sub and has 5G and 1A for Montreal so far this year and has a goal and assist for Canada in the last two games...so he seems to make things happen.

Hoilett always seems to be in good position to recieve passes and help out defensively, but I can't be the only one that doesn't like his decisions when he has the ball in the final third. He either doesn't see that final cutting pass into the box, or he doesn't trust his teammates enough yet to make that pass. IMO, he holds onto it too long and ends up getting squeezed out by two or three defenders.

Just a thought from the last few games I've watched.

9 minutes ago, Symp_Res said:

Hoilett always seems to be in good position to recieve passes and help out defensively, but I can't be the only one that doesn't like his decisions when he has the ball in the final third. He either doesn't see that final cutting pass into the box, or he doesn't trust his teammates enough yet to make that pass. IMO, he holds onto it too long and ends up getting squeezed out by two or three defenders.

Just a thought from the last few games I've watched.

Completely agree. Follows up a great moment with exactly the kind of mistake you've outlined above. Frustrating. 

7 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Completely agree. Follows up a great moment with exactly the kind of mistake you've outlined above. Frustrating. 

After watching him for four years at QPR that about sums it up, frustrating! 

re-watched the game....

Think Cavallini drew a bunch of calls his way...like 5 or 6. Seems like his strength is in his hold up play/shielding the ball. Him and Davies never seemed to link up well but then again that 3rd goal happened. Junior Hoilett is great as a winger..but lacks finishing on scoring attempts.

Thought our midfield was pretty good. Piette and Bernier don't have flashy roles but I thought they did great. Arfield great of course.

Vitoria seems like a high risk when it comes to getting cards..

I wouldn't read too much into the lack of chemistry between Davies and Cav.  This was their first game together - ever - and Cav's first game for us in years.  Throw in the fact that it was Davies' second cap ever, and I think a bit of patience is warranted.  It may not have been perfect, for sure, but the combo did give us a goal and they were both key players.  Give it a bit of time, and I think we are in good shape.

Archived