French Guiana vs Canada - Post Match Thread

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a holding forward Cavallini did a great job. Communication and flicks over defenders didn't always work out but you could see the thinking was correct and the attempts failing were due to anticipation errors of his and his teammates.

I seem to be in the minority, but I don't blame Crepeau for the 2nd (or the 1st). On the second, he had a long dive to stop the initial shot, which put him way out on the right side (his left).  Since that's where the player was with the ball, he challenged and cut down the angle.  Sure it is unfortunate that it creeped through his legs, but he made himself big and tried to block it.  Keep In mind that if he completely blocks out the cross, there is a pretty good chance he is showing the guy some of the net.  IMO, the defence was far more to blame on that one for leaving him out to dry.  No defender either challenged the guy with the ball nor stopped the tap in that followed.  To me, that is absolutely no reason for him to lose a spot if Borjan isn't okay to start.

Having said that, I really hope Borjan is okay.  He is our guy when healthy.

1 hour ago, Shakmur said:

Please AJH instead of Cavallini next game. Cavallini was too static. He won us a few fouls but that was more poor defending than him doing anything special other than turing his back to the defenders.

I dont think we watched the same game. Cavillini was a beast out there. If we're going with a single striker he is our guy. 

2 minutes ago, king1010 said:

I dont think we watched the same game. Cavillini was a beast out there. If we're going with a single striker he is our guy. 

Yeah, he played really well.  I have to say that I still have some small lingering doubts about his attitude over the long haul, but I definitely can't fault his effort tonight or the skill he showed.  Despite Larin's MLS form, he hasn't lit it up in a Canadian jersey, so I think Cav has the potential to claim our starting striker spot in this tournament - at least until Larin starts to show the kind of form/outcomes internationally he displays in MLS. 

43 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

American announcers on FS2 just threw some serious shade at Canada for the attendance of the game compared to the Costa Rica/Honduras one.

Then they can move the fucking stadium out of jersey and towards the border.

47 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

American announcers on FS2 just threw some serious shade at Canada for the attendance of the game compared to the Costa Rica/Honduras one.

Welll TBF, not many Canadians in the US illegally, so doubt they'd support the national team and Canadian casual fans outside of this forum would attend a Gold Cup game on foreign soil.  If the game were played at BMO Field or BC Place, might get 20Kish crowds

1 minute ago, dsqpr said:

Well, when it comes to dipshit US announcers I give them 10/10 if they actually know who is playing. Did they know who was playing?

I mean Brad Friedel is a pretty knowledgeable guy. The other announcer said "It's nice to see the stadium full for this match" and Friedel responded "It's nice to see two fan bases willing to come support their side." Just kind of unnecessary.

Canada  were  so  much  better   take  away   about  5  minutes     There   has  to  be    some  better  communication   between   our   D  and  Keeper   Not  faulting   Crepeau    on  the  first  one    but    that  second   I  am  sorry   but   it  is  nice  to  see   Canada   get  a  win   and  score  some  goals  also   

41 minutes ago, One American said:

No one has said Arifeld was the Man of the Match? OK, I will. 

Several others in the other thread agree with you myself included. He bossed the midfield start to finish.

A few thoughts, despite some sounding negative they're all written by a guy with a big smile across his face, incredibly happy with how things turned out.

We got some great options going forward. Yeah Davies was the star but Arfield, Cavalinni and Hoilett all put in better-than-i've-seen-in-a-while shifts...especially when you consider this is their first time playing together.

I love Petrasso as a player but Im a little nervous about him at RB. he gave up some turnovers in scary spots that could've been bigger trouble if it was a better team. 

I get the "it's not crepau's fault" take, but when a defense falls off after a GK switch that has to be partly blamed on the keeper. A good keeper holds his defense's ass to the fire, I just wonder if the defense lost concentration because Crepeau wasn't holding them up to the standard the way Borjan did.

Piette was sort of quietly solid in a really nice way.

Love seeing Russel Hustle play at the end. He's sort of the best at just running down an exhausted foe.

A good performance.  OZ wanted to attack and we sure did.  Gutsy moves to start Davies and Petrasso at RB but both largely paid off.

Cavallini was good but I wouldn't say excellent.  His contributions will improve as he gets familiar with his teammates.  Different kind of player than Larin.  

Arfield was awesome.  A real leader out there.  Captain material after Bernier retires, though Borjan and Johnson are also options.

Vitoria needs to get used to Concacaf refs asap.  

Borjan is so commanding in his box.  Really has improved so much since his first GC in 2011.  We are fortunate to have him, hope he's ok.

Piette is the real deal.  He knows his role, wins balls and delivers a responsible pass every time.  Took out our keeper tho, that wasn't good.

Davies.  Wow.  Just so proud of him.  

Glad to read a few posts recognizing Piette's contributions to this game. He did a great job of blunting attacks all night and, importantly for CONCACAF, rarely fouling. He didn't wow with his passing but made few, if any, mistakes with the ball.

52 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Well, when it comes to dipshit US announcers I give them 10/10 if they actually know who is playing. Did they know who was playing?

I cannot think of a more collectively useless bunch of cunts than US football announcers.

It was John Paul Dellacamera and Brad Freidel on the feed I was watching. They knew who the teams were, they just didn't know what the recent history of the teams against Canada is since they are basically saying that we don't belong on the same pitch as Costa Rica and Honduras and have no chance of even getting a draw against either team. Apparently our last three matches collectively against these teams being a 0-0 draw, 1-0 win and a 2-1 loss deliberately played in the middle of the Honduran afternoon summer in order to give their team an unfair advantage means that we have absolutely chance of even coming away with a draw.

Not exactly what they said but definitely what they were implying, intimating and insinuating.They also suggested Canada was lucky to win because they FG "should" have scored more goals against us than they did.  I hope the Canadian team were watching in the hotel and took some inspiration from these dismissive comments.

The energy and hard tackles and effort from Cavallini is a major improvement over Larin IMO. He got lots of free kicks from his efforts. All of which is good because Larin has plenty of potential and losing his spot may be the kick in the ass he needs to up his game.

Piette had some really nice moves to get out of trouble a couple of times and was solid as usual. I wish he could pass forward more effectively but he's always improving and still young.

One thing that's always bugged me about canada is the lack of urgency that you see from teams playing in, say, the European qualifiers. Where's the blocked shots, crunching tackles, chasing down the lost causes?. Now, with the likes of Arfield and Cavallini we can see that energy and hopefully it becomes infectious.

1 minute ago, Dominic94 said:

Why did Crepeau come in midway ? Also let's not forget that AJH hasn't gotten many full 90's for those saying he's just a super sub.

Piette and Borjan went for the same ball and piette's fist went into Borjan's eye socket. I thought his eye would close right up but he didn't look too bad later on the bench. Going up against Piette generally isn't a good idea, friend or foe.

Archived